Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Permanent closure of LH lounges in DEL, Bremen, Dresden, Cologne, Leipzig & NUE

Old Oct 9, 20, 4:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

LH will shut down its lounges in BRE, CGN, DRS, LEJ, and NUE for good.

They confirmed their plan to keep running some lounges outside the hubs in FRA and MUC. Specifically, lounges in BER, DUS, HAJ, HAM, and STR will continue to operate.

OMGOMGOMG

Source is the German-language blogger Frankfurtflyer (I will update this post should I find a press release on LH.com). He quotes a LH product manager.

Lastly, the reason LH gives is cost savings. The lounges that are being shut down permanently would have been up for renovation soon. And they're saying they can't justify the investment.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by funkydrummer; Oct 9, 20 at 4:13 am
Old Oct 9, 20, 6:03 am

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post

They confirmed their plan to keep running some lounges outside the hubs in FRA and MUC. Specifically, lounges in BER, DUS, HAJ, HAM, and STR will continue to operate.

OMGOMGOMG

Source is the German-language blogger Frankfurtflyer (I will update this post should I find a press release on LH.com). He quotes a LH product manager.

Lastly, the reason LH gives is cost savings. The lounges that are being shut down permanently would have been up for renovation soon. And they're saying they can't justify the investment.

The lounge page on their website mentions it already.

Permanent closing of lounges: Unfortunately, a few of our lounges won't be opened again. The ones in Bremen, Dresden, Cologne, Leipzig/Halle and Nuremberg will remain closed. Internationally, our lounge in Delhi will not reopen, however the Air India Lounge is available to you instead.
funkydrummer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 6:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar View Post
The lounge page on their website mentions it already.
Ah thanks, so it's six closures in total, the five in Germany and the one in DEL.

I have to say, I'm very unhappy with LH. They haven't extended FTL/SEN with expiration 02/22 and likely won't (that's what an admin of the German VFT forum suggests). The months on end refunds take even for status pax. The never-ending delays with the new C. The effective reduction of status benefits on EW. And now we hear about these permanent lounge closures.

I realize most airlines around the globe are facing difficulties. But I don't see my unhappiness with LH as a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side". I've hedged my bets over the last two years and consider myself a free agent (keeping mid-tier status with all three alliances more-or-less effortlessly).
yurtripper likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:03 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Must be really bad though. What will be the way forward? Contract lounges in the airports in question? That means Frequent Traveller will be even more devalued because we won't get access.
Old Oct 9, 20, 11:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
What will be the way forward? Contract lounges in the airports in question?
I think possibly nothing at all in the airports in question...
Old Oct 9, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Great NUE - my home airport.

This leaves us with the Dürer Lounge (with Priority Pass), which is probably one of the worst lounges in Germany

Thank you Lufthansa
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU View Post
Great NUE - my home airport.

This leaves us with the Dürer Lounge (with Priority Pass), which is probably one of the worst lounges in Germany

Thank you Lufthansa
well... it’s NUE (also my home base). It’s not like you need to get there super early or anything so while I feel for the employees, the lounge itself isn’t really necessary
Old Oct 9, 20, 2:08 pm

There was that nice British woman working in NUE. She was quite legacy, so hopefully this won't affect her too much.

Maybe in time the airports might invest in better lounges in the same spaces, or another firm take them over. German provincial airports really lack nice lounges like in Poland or the No1 lounges in the UK. I'm sure TK would want to have a lounge for their premium pax as Germany is such an important market for them and for LH those stations are basically lost a long time ago or were never that important in the first place.

Of the five, Basia only flies to NUE and right now that is suspended to 2021, maybe she will arrange access to the crappy basement lounge as LO have a good reputation for ensuring lounges in stations they regularly fly to.
Old Oct 9, 20, 4:09 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
There was that nice British woman working in NUE. She was quite legacy, so hopefully this won't affect her too much.

She retired before covid.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 5:37 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by FlyerLX View Post
I think possibly nothing at all in the airports in question...
Well, I managed before without them. And I will manage after without them.
This whole lounge thing was always a bit ephemeral, I thought.
Old Oct 9, 20, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Internationally, our lounge in Delhi will not reopen, however the Air India Lounge is available to you instead.
The Air India Lounge at DEL Intl. is terrible in my opinion.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Priority Pass at:
NUE > Durer lounge

For CGN, PP shows the "Airport Business Lounge", which says to be for LH pax as well. Not sure, if this is the one to close down then.

No PP listings for BRE, DRS and LEJ.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
For CGN, PP shows the "Airport Business Lounge", which says to be for LH pax as well.
The Airport Business Lounge in CGN is one of the worst if not the worst PP lounge in Germany.

Furthermore, it is in terminal 2 of CGN, whereas Lufthansa uses T1.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Airport Business Lounge in CGN is one of the worst if not the worst PP lounge in Germany.

Furthermore, it is in terminal 2 of CGN, whereas Lufthansa uses T1.
Thanks for the clarification. So, even if it is mentioned as being for LH guests, it is remote and a bad (remaining) option anyway.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Thanks for the clarification. So, even if it is mentioned as being for LH guests, it is remote and a bad (remaining) option anyway.
Yeah.

I mean, your post on alternatives is, of course, the constructive approach to take. However, I feel Germany is very different to the UK or the US when it comes to the lounge system. In US/UK, there are often decent third-party lounges. In Germany, not really (IMHO). So especially in case of CGN there is no alternative. No decent restaurant in T1, either. And CGN is actually sort of significant size-wise for LHG if counting all those EW flights.
cesco.g likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: