Flying OS via Vienna to Germany - quarantine?

Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Flying OS via Vienna to Germany - quarantine?

Yesterday, Germany declared Vienna to be a risk area so anyone entering Germany after being in Vienna must follow special rules (quarantine, testing, notifying public health authorities etc). Does this also apply if I am just transiting in Vienna (with destination Munich)?

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

I thought there was a 48 hour rule previously, but can't find it now.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Who is required to enter home quarantine when travelling to the Federal Republic of Germany?

Anyone who enters the Federal Republic of Germany having spent time in a risk area up to 14 days before their arrival is obliged to proceed directly to their own home or another suitable accommodation and self-isolate there for 14 days. This does not apply if the person only travelled through a risk area without spending time there. The competent public health office monitors the quarantine obligation. Find your local public health office here: tools.rki.de/PLZTool/.

Regulation of the quarantine obligation falls under the jurisdiction of the Federal Laender. Please visit the website of the Federal Land wherein you reside or will be staying for detailed information on its specific quarantine regulations.
https://www.bundesgesundheitsministe...g-germany.html
Often1, airoli and 8420PR like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Does this also apply if I am just transiting in Vienna (with destination Munich)?
No, I don't think so because the airport is located in the town Schwechat which is part of the state "Niederösterreich" (Lower Austria) as opposed to being part of the state Vienna. (I understand the state Vienna is solely comprised of the city of Vienna.)

Germany declared the state of Vienna to be a risk area. Lower Austria is not a risk area at this point.

EDIT: BRU Airport is in a similar situation. Zavatem is not located in the Brussels-Capital Region so merely transferring there should be okay.
8420PR likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Zavatem is not located in the Brussels-Capital Region so merely transferring there should be okay.
No need to go find a local map.

As per the link provided by fransknorge, transferring anywhere is okay- it's where you originated from that determines quarantine requirements.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airoli
No need to go find a local map.

As per the link provided by fransknorge, transferring anywhere is okay- it's where you originated from that determines quarantine requirements.
You are wrong about that. The details of quarantine regulation is up to the states, not the federal government. There are several states (e.g., Berlin) which grant no exemption for transit. IDK where OP will end up going (I read he's flying into MUC), but merely transiting through a risk area would trigger mandatory quarantine in several states. So it is relevant that the airport VIE doesn't belong to a risk area.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You are wrong about that. The details of quarantine regulation is up to the states, not the federal government. There are several states (e.g., Berlin) which grant no exemption for transit. IDK where OP will end up going (I read he's flying into MUC), but merely transiting through a risk area would trigger mandatory quarantine in several states. So it is relevant that the airport VIE doesn't belong to a risk area.
This is such an incredibly sillly bureaucratic approach that it can only be German - unbelievable!
As if the risk of infection is any different depending on whether VIE airport happens to be just inside, or just outside, the State of Vienna.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
This is such an incredibly sillly bureaucratic approach that it can only be German - unbelievable!
There is a varying risk of contracting C19 from another country depending which final destination port one flies into /Sarcasm
airoli likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC MM
This seems to be correct. I just read through the Corona travel information for Berlin as well as North-Rhine-Westphalia's website and no-where did it say that transits in risk areas are exempt from quarantine, for example Non-risk area - risk area (not sure if VIE is or not) - Berlin.
It looks like quite a few flight connections would be affected by this, for example:
YYZ - GVA - DUS; YYC - AMS - BER etc. and of course anything connecting via Spain, France and Belgium right now.
Any of these would trigger a quarantine/test upon arrival in Germany in this case unless the state specifically points out that transits are exempt.

For Berlin there was also a note that this applies to high risk areas within Germany. It seems like Munich might become one soon in which case it seems that just driving through or flying via Munich would trigger the same response, though I believe MUC is in a similar situation VIE, not being part of the District Munich or Vienna respectively.

I only checked these two states and others might have different regulations but it does seem like Federal law does not apply or is not relevant and you might get in trouble if don't quarantine.

This is getting all really complicated and most likely worse over the next few days and weeks. You really have to keep up to date every day or you might find yourself getting a EURO 25,000 fine

Last edited by yvrcnx; Sep 18, 2020 at 11:10 pm
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm still unclear, as the national guidelines say no quarantine, but local Bavaria sources say the length of stay in the high risk area doesn't matter ("Die Quarantänepflicht für Einreisende aus internationalen Risikogebieten gilt unabhängig von der Dauer ihres Aufenthaltes in diesen Gebieten.").

https://www.gesetze-bayern.de/Conten...t/BayEQV/true?
https://www.vbw-bayern.de/vbw/Servic...eutschland.jsp

Is every passenger that gets off an Air France or KLM flight in Munich getting a test and going into quarantine because Paris and Amsterdam are high risk areas?

No, I don't think so because the airport is located in the town Schwechat which is part of the state "Niederösterreich" (Lower Austria) as opposed to being part of the state Vienna. (I understand the state Vienna is solely comprised of the city of Vienna.)

Germany declared the state of Vienna to be a risk area. Lower Austria is not a risk area at this point.

EDIT: BRU Airport is in a similar situation. Zavatem is not located in the Brussels-Capital Region so merely transferring there should be okay.
This helps a lot. I never considered this.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
As if the risk of infection is any different depending on whether VIE airport happens to be just inside, or just outside, the State of Vienna.
Compared to the US or Australia it is easy. We talk about states and these states are responsible for security
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:29 am
Original Poster

As feedback, I changed my destination and booked a direct flight on Ryanair for €9.99, therefore avoiding all connections any uncertainty about quarantine when returning.

While a transit in a risk area might be allowed, and Vienna airport is not in Vienna so not a risk area, I couldn't find anything official and considered it difficult to explain to my employer etc. If anyone has anything official from the Bavarian regulations regarding transit in a risk area please share as it would be useful for next time.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Probably a smart move, except flying Ryanair!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.