Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

If only transferring/layover in Frankfurt, does the one carry-on limit apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying from the USA, stopping in Frankfurt, then going onward to Romania, all on one ticket, with Lufthansa business class (dual USA and Romania passports, so no entry issues). I have a large laptop that I cannot check, and I have some smaller battery-containing items that I cannot check, and all combined they exceed 18lbs. Typically I go with a backpack and laptop bag and have had no issues, prior to covid of course. I know Germany now has a one piece limit for hand baggage for the security point for all passengers in any class.

My questions are:
If I'm only transiting Frankfurt, and my US departure point allows me to take my 2 carry ons like usual, will I run into problems during the transfer in Frankfurt if I'm carrying the 2 carry on bags from the US? Would the security personnel force me to check one item for my onward flight to Romania, just to pass through their security point? Or is it a different security checkpoint for international transfers versus for those initiating travel from within Germany, with different rules? All stories I've read about the current strict one-bag enforcement are from travelers originating domestically in Germany, not international transfers just passing through Germany.
And, how do the security folks even interface with the airline folks if they demand I check a bag... am I supposed to go out to an airline check-in counter (but I don't want to enter Schengen officially) or go to a transfer counter to check one of my carry on bags before I can proceed through the security point (if they even allow it to be checked, because it has batteries)?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carry on is determined by the operating carrier of each flight. It does not matter whether you originate, connect or stopover at FRA. For your xFRA flight, you will only be permitted the one bag. If for some reason you make it to the gate, you will be stopped there.LH will gate check your excess. If there are items which can't be checked, you will have the option of tossing them or not flying.

I would suggest pulling the batteries from whatever items can't be checked and then checking the items.

LH is efficient and tough about this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll manage with just one 18lb bag with me for that which can't be checked. Since my trip is still a couple weeks out, and since my flight schedule was already changed on me, I guess I should use my option to freely cancel the itinerary passing through Germany and find an alternate star-alliance flight through not-Germany, maybe I'll try Austrian or SAS. I don't think they have this kind of restriction.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:27 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Moved this question from the Germany Forum to the Lufthansa Forum, where it might get a better audience

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by Often1
Carry on is determined by the operating carrier of each flight. It does not matter whether you originate, connect or stopover at FRA. For your xFRA flight, you will only be permitted the one bag. If for some reason you make it to the gate, you will be stopped there.LH will gate check your excess. If there are items which can't be checked, you will have the option of tossing them or not flying.

I would suggest pulling the batteries from whatever items can't be checked and then checking the items.

LH is efficient and tough about this.
This applies irrespective of carrier or airport where you change flights for your second leg. most European airlines only allow only one (weight-restricted) bag plus personal item on board when traveling in Economy. Transfering in Vienna or Kopenhagen won't change that.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by yst33
If I'm only transiting Frankfurt, and my US departure point allows me to take my 2 carry ons like usual, will I run into problems during the transfer in Frankfurt if I'm carrying the 2 carry on bags from the US? Would the security personnel force me to check one item for my onward flight to Romania, just to pass through their security point? Or is it a different security checkpoint for international transfers versus for those initiating travel from within Germany, with different rules? All stories I've read about the current strict one-bag enforcement are from travelers originating domestically in Germany, not international transfers just passing through Germany.
And, how do the security folks even interface with the airline folks if they demand I check a bag... am I supposed to go out to an airline check-in counter (but I don't want to enter Schengen officially) or go to a transfer counter to check one of my carry on bags before I can proceed through the security point (if they even allow it to be checked, because it has batteries)?
If you are arriving from the US, there will be no security required, you will just go thru passport control and on to your gate. If the agent is in a bad mood, they will gate check your excess baggage and you will see it in Romania on the luggage belt.

If you somehoe end up in security, they will send you to the LH counter to check your bag.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

At this time, LH asks you to (voluntarily) limit the amount of cabin luggage you carry with its #WeCare initiative etc.

However, it's my impression the tightened rule of one piece per pax (and strictly one piece, not even one piece plus a personal item) has been dropped. I travelled through several German airports (including FRA) over the last three days. Nobody, myself included, seemed to have any problem travelling with one trolley plus one personal item (laptop bag or the like). Neither during security checks nor during boarding.

LH's rule for business-class travel is that you can take up two two pieces of cabin luggage (max weight of 8 kg and max dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm each) as well as a personal item (max dimensions 40 x 30 x 10 cm, no weight restriction).

Now, I didn't see anyone with two trolleys and a personal item. It's somewhat rare people do that in intra-European business. But what I stated in the previous paragraph is the rule both for intra-European as well as TATL. And I think at this point, there is just this request to limit your hand luggage to what's necessary but you could max out the 2 x 8 kg plus a personal item if you wanted to.

EDIT: It seems the German Bundespolizei (which is responsible for border security and such) still has it on their website that you should only take one piece of cabin baggage (=one trolley, it doesn't sound as if they consider personal items).

The problem is they phrase it as if it was a guideline, a recommendation. They DON'T write something along the lines of "it is prohibited to bring more than one piece of cabin luggage". Their notice can be found here:

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/...olle_node.html

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Aug 4, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The BuPo is responsible and sets the standards for airport security The FRA security is known for making life as difficult as possible.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:03 am

A few weeks ago I transferred from AC to LH in FRA - 3 of us had 6 carry on items (1 rollaboard plus backpack) in total but we were prepared in FRA to gate check 3 of the items when going through transfer security. The only thing we got at security was a gruff bark from one of the guys to remove my mask. We boarded the LH flight with the extra carry on items taking up their own row (Embraer). So YMMV.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The BuPo is responsible and sets the standards for airport security The FRA security is known for making life as difficult as possible.
Whilst they make it as difficult as possible for the passengers, some of them only use a strange piece of plastic instead of a regular mask (like this:
Amazon Amazon
)
I wonder why this is allowed, as it does not really cover the mouth and nose, and it does especially not stop small droplets to get into the air.....
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:21 am

Interesting... I asked them on their twitter feed: https://twitter.com/bpol_air_fra/with_replies
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:49 am

And they instantly came back with a comment that they are permitted
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should not fixate on FRA as a connection point. Hand luggage allowances are ultimately limited by the carrier (and might even be stricter than what is allowed by airport authorities in some situations). Thus, check the carry-on allowance for each flight's carrier. That is what will apply for the flight in question.

Although there may be multiple checks, it is ultimately gate agents who see a passenger with their bag(s) who permit a passenger to board. Or not.

If you are someone who intends to chance violating the law or policy as the case may be, you also need a Plan B. What will you do if you show up overweight or over count at the gate and the gate agent will not permit you to board? Will you permit the agent to gate check your bag or will you choose not to board, possibly forfeiting the remaining segment(s) of your ticket?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:18 am

Consider whether placing some of the ancillary items in your coat might reduce your weight in the carryon to an acceptable level.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
And they instantly came back with a comment that they are permitted
Well, that's crazy, it thwarts the whole mouth-nose-covering-procedure from my personal point of view...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.