FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Ear infection after wearing bose headphones in F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2022690-ear-infection-after-wearing-bose-headphones-f.html)

Amil Aug 2, 2020 7:34 am

Ear infection after wearing bose headphones in F

so I flew from LAX-FRA in F wore the headphones didnt realize they had covers in the amenity bag and my ear started to itch. After I landed a few hours my ear started to change color now two days later my entire ear looks like I was a burn victim and is super red. Im guessing im having a allergic reaction from whatever disinfectant they are using but not sure if I should write to lufthansa about the situation so it doesnt happen to others. I can post a pic of it but probably nothing you want to see lol

hugolover Aug 2, 2020 9:55 am

An unfortunate event, then to top it off, in the FCL there was only a toasty!

NYC1 Aug 2, 2020 10:32 am

This sounds painful. Is it an Infection or an allergic reaction? I doubt it's a real ear infection unless there was something nasty on the headphones that managed to get inside your ear canal.

I never use the headphones provided by the airline and travel with my own NC headphones.

cfischer Aug 2, 2020 10:34 am

does not at all sound like an infection, bur rather a serious irritation or allergic reaction. Get a topical cream at the pharmacy to treat it. That's an unfortunate outcome after an F flight. Can't hurt to let LH know, but as you said, they are providing covers for the Bose headphones.

Amil Aug 2, 2020 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1 (Post 32576186)
This sounds painful. Is it an Infection or an allergic reaction? I doubt it's a real ear infection unless there was something nasty on the headphones that managed to get inside your ear canal.

I never use the headphones provided by the airline and travel with my own NC headphones.

I brought my own as well but I forgot that I accidentally stepped over a fellow FT flyers cord on my previous flight and gave him my cord since I broke his off and forgot to replace mine.
I wrote to LH to tell them about the rash so they could look into it and hopefully prevent the next person using the bose set from getting the same thing if there is something in fact on the headphones.

pointchaser Aug 2, 2020 4:08 pm

I wrote about this a few years ago: https://www.pointchaser.com/noise-ca...ones-ear-pain/

I experienced excruciating pain from using noice-canceling headphones and it just kept getting worse. I googled the symptoms I was having and there were lots of people reporting the same thing. Some even developed eat infections, like you did. Some people just have bad reactions to a lack of noise. It throws them off-balance and causes symptoms like the one you experienced. I always just turn off the noise-canceling button on the headphones in first/business class.

garykung Aug 2, 2020 5:46 pm

OP, FWIW - you may be able to claim your medical expenses back under Montreal.

Saadyasree Aug 3, 2020 12:14 am

Really! Thank you for the information. I had a plan to but these ear phones. Please can anyone suggest the best one

Amil Aug 3, 2020 6:45 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32576981)
OP, FWIW - you may be able to claim your medical expenses back under Montreal.

hopefully It goes away I wont need a doctor. but ill document my expenses . people are looking at me funny though

Amil Aug 3, 2020 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Saadyasree (Post 32577374)
Really! Thank you for the information. I had a plan to but these ear phones. Please can anyone suggest the best one

bose are probably the best ones. this probably happened because they are for public. lesson learned always use your own!

fassy Aug 3, 2020 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Amil (Post 32577871)
lesson learned always use your own!

Absolutely! At the very least, use the sterile foam covers from the amenity bag.

htb Aug 5, 2020 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Amil (Post 32577871)
bose are probably the best ones.

The top models from SONY are comparable

HTB.

Amil Aug 17, 2020 1:18 pm

LH Finally respondedThank you for your correspondence and for choosing Lufthansa for your travel plans. Being in the customer service industry we rely on passenger feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

It is upsetting to learn that you obtained a skin rash on board your flight LH457 from Los Angles to Frankfurt on July 30. Your disappointment is certainly understandable. We hope that your rash has fully healed at this time and that you have fully recovered from your journey. Cleanliness clearly plays a major role for Lufthansa because it affects your well-being on board. For this reason, we pay particular attention to cleaning our aircraft thoroughly. We would also like to inform you that there are separately packaged headset coverings in the First and Business Class amenity kits at each passenger’s seat. It is unclear if you had received an allergic skin reaction from these coverings.

Lufthansa is committed to minimizing the presence of allergens within its cabin and lounge environment, particularly in upholstery materials, blankets, air conditioning or certain food items. Our high-efficiency air conditioning system, for example, filters out pollens from outdoors and animal hair from animals on board. We also make sure no air freshening substances with the potential to irritate the respiratory tract are released on board, and our lavatories are equipped with hypoallergenic soap for sensitive skin. While Lufthansa is committed to minimizing the presence of allergens in the cabin, we cannot guarantee an allergy-free environment; although we regret that you had received a skin rash upon your arrival in Istanbul. On behalf of Lufthansa, we sincerely apologize for the negative impression that was received.

We recognize there is always room for improvement and are eager to be kept aware of any situation that may affect your travel experience. Rest assured your feedback has been taken seriously and shared with our Frankfurt Product Management team.

We wish you and your family good health and it is our hope for the privilege of welcoming you on board a future Lufthansa flight once again.

Sincerely,