Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa First Class Lounge [FCL] restart

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63
You would be the guest, i just don’t know the rule for children of an F pax.

At MUC you have the opportunity to pay for additional guests of F pax.
There was explicit allowance for spouse and underage children of F pax until relatively recently.

Nowadays this is gone from Lufthansa website, but is still present on other Group websites, and is implicit in lounge access rule which states:

• For admission to the First Class Lounge and to the First Class Area, all travelling companions (including spouses, partners and children under 18) must show a valid boarding pass for the same flight as the person inviting them.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Supposedly, the newish Boston F lounge offers a couple of unique items not available in the business class lounge for pre-flight dining…

From what I have seen it’s a very tiny list…maybe two entrees. Do you think they’ll let the kids traveling in business class accompanying us in the FCL in Boston order from the first class menu? Or, should we be prepared to order for ourselves and let the kids nibble away off our plates?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nologic
Supposedly, the newish Boston F lounge offers a couple of unique items not available in the business class lounge for pre-flight dining…

From what I have seen it’s a very tiny list…maybe two entrees. Do you think they’ll let the kids traveling in business class accompanying us in the FCL in Boston order from the first class menu? Or, should we be prepared to order for ourselves and let the kids nibble away off our plates?
There is no F lounge in BOS. Nothing newish at all. There is an F section off the regular lounge that has a separate menu with 4ish items and you get better drink options. Very small space. Not policed when I am there. You can take your kids there, that should should not be a problem if you are in F.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
There is no F lounge in BOS. Nothing newish at all. There is an F section off the regular lounge that has a separate menu with 4ish items and you get better drink options. Very small space. Not policed when I am there. You can take your kids there, that should should not be a problem if you are in F.
We are saying the same thing, whether you call it an F section or an F Lounge, it’s an F area with supposedly premium options… So I’m trying to figure out what the premium options are… What were you able to identify as premium besides the fourish food items?

Do they have JW Blue and if they have premium wines or champagnes what were the most premium items that you saw?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:17 pm

Looks like we’ll be limited to the FC area of the Sen B lounge on an upcoming trip. Anyone utilize it recently, and any insights onto the menu/bev list for August? Curious if they match some of the whisky or anything else in an attempt to match offerings in the main FCL.

And any word on when the FCL in B will reopen? Can’t imagine any time soon given some of what we’re seeing, but one can hold a glimmer of hope…
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by trew64
Looks like we’ll be limited to the FC area of the Sen B lounge on an upcoming trip. Anyone utilize it recently, and any insights onto the menu/bev list for August? Curious if they match some of the whisky or anything else in an attempt to match offerings in the main FCL.

And any word on when the FCL in B will reopen? Can’t imagine any time soon given some of what we’re seeing, but one can hold a glimmer of hope…
Most recent photos are in this very thread #908

I was told just a week ago that there are no plans to open FCLB, enough capacity at FCLA & FCT given the huge reduction in F seats ex FRA
greendx and trew64 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are saying the same thing, whether you call it an F section or an F Lounge, it’s an F area with supposedly premium options… So I’m trying to figure out what the premium options are… What were you able to identify as premium besides the fourish food items?

Do they have JW Blue and if they have premium wines or champagnes what were the most premium items that you saw?
I posted the recent menus in the Boston lounge thread. Since this is about FCLs and BOS is not an FCL ... I suggest to continue there

Most premium drink ... probably Moet ...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:12 pm

I posted the recent menus in the Boston lounge thread. Since this is about FCLs and BOS is not an FCL ... I suggest to continue there

Most premium drink ... probably Moet ...
I think I saw some thing pre-pandemic that indicated that there was Moët Chandon Which I interpreted as American sparkling wine and pretty undistinctive.

What makes a Lufthansa lounge with the words first class on it and a separate preflight dining menu, not a FCL but something else? Obviously it’s less fancy than the first class lounges and Munich and Frankfurt… But how does it have a different definition… What is it called? A first class subsection?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Most recent photos are in this very thread #908

I was told just a week ago that there are no plans to open FCLB, enough capacity at FCLA & FCT given the huge reduction in F seats ex FRA
I thought it might end up so, but I don't get it. Does Lufthansa not care about transfer F market? Or is it so insignificant compared to O/D (Schengen) F and HON market?

Or do they hope local authorities will relent and allow for a MUC like solution?

I think I saw some thing pre-pandemic that indicated that there was Moët Chandon Which I interpreted as American sparkling wine and pretty undistinctive.

What makes a Lufthansa lounge with the words first class on it and a separate preflight dining menu, not a FCL but something else? Obviously it’s less fancy than the first class lounges and Munich and Frankfurt… But how does it have a different definition… What is it called? A first class subsection?
Moet is a champagne, but within the champagne world I would not rank it high. It's like pretending an A-class is a luxury car because it's a Mercedes. It's better than a Fiat but don't kid yourself.

The situation in Boston (and FRA B) is not a FCL because it's not a L. Lufthansa calls it a First Class Area.
seanp7 and chris63 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I thought it might end up so, but I don't get it. Does Lufthansa not care about transfer F market? Or is it so insignificant compared to O/D (Schengen) F and HON market?

Or do they hope local authorities will relent and allow for a MUC like solution?

Moet is a champagne, but within the champagne world I would not rank it high. It's like pretending an A-class is a luxury car because it's a Mercedes. It's better than a Fiat but don't kid yourself.

The situation in Boston (and FRA B) is not a FCL because it's not a L. Lufthansa calls it a First Class Area.
Ah ha, it's a first class area that is also a lounge, just not a First Class Lounge.

Anyway, I completely agree that Moet is nothing special as a champagne.

What LH is doing is no different than BA which has a first class lounge in Boston serving nothing special in terms of wine and champagne (although a larger and better pre-flight dining menu), whereas the Concorde Rooms at JFK and LHR feature the premium stuff served on board and more extensive menus.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What LH is doing is no different than BA which has a first class lounge in Boston serving nothing special in terms of wine and champagne (although a larger and better pre-flight dining menu), whereas the Concorde Rooms at JFK and LHR feature the premium stuff served on board and more extensive menus.
I think I'll say what many are thinking here. If you don't like what you get, you can fly BA F out of BOS. Enjoy the BA lounge in BOS which will not be superior and fly BA F which is a joke. BOS is an outstation with little LH group traffic, the fact that LH has 'anything' beyond the regular lounge is good and unusual both for LH as well as across airlines.
You decided to book LH F posting in several threads regarding poor availability, poor meal choices, poor lounges and terrible champagne. You are entitled to your preconceived notions. Honestly either cancel your tickets or enjoy the flights. The continued posting of pre-trip grievances are getting a little out of hand. Please fly the trip and post what you liked and what you did not ... or cancel it.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:05 pm

I think I'll say what many are thinking here. If you don't like what you get, you can fly BA F out of BOS. Enjoy the BA lounge in BOS which will not be superior and fly BA F which is a joke. BOS is an outstation with little LH group traffic, the fact that LH has 'anything' beyond the regular lounge is good and unusual both for LH as well as across airlines.
You decided to book LH F posting in several threads regarding poor availability, poor meal choices, poor lounges and terrible champagne. You are entitled to your preconceived notions. Honestly either cancel your tickets or enjoy the flights. The continued posting of pre-trip grievances are getting a little out of hand. Please fly the trip and post what you liked and what you did not ... or cancel it.
I have flown LH F multiple times previously, but it's probably been 5+ years, and I didn't say or indicate that I preferred BA over LH, I actually said the approach by each to the F lounge area in BOS was similar.

I didn't say the meal choices were poor, I said it was poor marketing and sends a bad message to serve the identical meal choices in F as C (sloppy catering management). In essence, the message is that you are getting a C class entree, given that all three entrees fit into the budget for C class, but I never said it was a disaster. Of course, others have said this is done ex-US but not ex-MUC/FRA, so LH is bipolar here and this otherwise shows that they agree philosophically. I wasn't asking for the Lobster Thermador on SQ, I just think it's the wrong message. Yes, you're getting lots of other extras with F, hard and soft, but most international F airlines amp up the F entrees over what's being served in C, so the market practice speaks for itself. One exception that I am aware of is AA and I know many have disparaged that practice...and who wants to be compared to AA? Someone here said that EK has 3 out of 6 same entrees in C and F, but what about those 3 others? It's like the wine list: give people a lot of choices and average down your cost, but there's always a premium red and a premium white...the rest are mediocre priced, like $15-30/bottle. I have no issue with integrating those lower priced options and lots of people don't care and can't tell the difference.

I did say the F white champagne, which is a bellweather marquis F product, at a 4.2 rating and $90 MSRP, is a very poor pour, embarrassing really. LH is inherently acknowledging this by serving Louise or LPGS for the other months (at least for July, September, and October). However, I also complimented the LH menu for the $80 white Chassagne Montrachet Burgundy, while pointing out that the marquis red on the menu is a lowly 3.9 rated $56 Bordeaux, which is also substandard for the premium red, in my experience. I wasn't expecting a $200 Lynch-Bages which has been often served in int'l F, but I was expecting something more special than the current Bordeaux (nor am I limited to Bordeaux, the emphasis here is on special). Maybe LH is just not trying to be competitive here, feeling the totality of the product works, saving on premium wine?

I am not sure I have remarked upon poor inventory availability, as every airline has tight availability in F and C. That goes with the territory. F availability on LH is much better to/from many US cities than on BA, and then there's the issue of BA's fees, which are outrageous.

I have inquired about what to expect for availability and reported back/shared for others how and what I did to ultimately obtain our two F partner award seats: incrementally changing flights/bookings multiple times while traveling w 4 people (including two teens, making sure we were always on the same flights at a minimum of C class); first booking BOS-FRA in C (which flight doesn't have a first class, I miss that) when BOS-MUC was then unavailable; then switching to BOS-MUC in C when 4 C seats on that flight became available (at least BOS-MUC has 8 F seats), ultimately positioning ourselves for possible F upgrades BOS-MUC; then upgrading my significant other to F when it became available at T-15 days with F6 showing; and lastly, upgrading myself to F at T-14 days with F5 availability showing. The cabin counts have been "frozen" at F4 from then to today, now T-11 days.

Again, I have shared this info in order to help other people evaluate their own tactical options for this or other routes.

I also reported that I paid a premium in miles (approximately 30,000/person) to book through UA vs AC because they waived all change fees, and indeed we've had multiple changes (10 total changes), and AC charges $125/change/person, although in retrospect, $1,250 is not a very good ROI on 60,000 miles, but I also had a bunch of miles in my UA account to start things off, so it's a wash from that perspective. This breaks down to 4x changing from BOS-FRA, 2x upgrading from C to F, and 4x changing from the 80 minute MUC-NAP connection to the 5.5 hour MUC-NAP connection.

I have inquired about what to expect on the ground in Munich, including getting the two kids into the FCL, whether we would be picked up or not, and whether to try to make the 80 minute connection to Naples or rebook our Naples segment to mid afternoon, producing the above referenced 5.5 hour layover in Munich. I've tried to anticipate what to expect as it relates to walking distances with hand baggage, etc. I think I have only once been to the MUC FCL/terminal and I don't really remember the terminal layout, although I remember the FCL. Needless to say, I am not familiar with the terminal and gate distances. I have also inquired about what's going on in Munich/Germany on the labor fronts at the airports that's causing extensive flight delays to help evaluate whether to make this switch, which I ultimately did. As part of evaluating the 5+ hour layover, I inquired about the availability of day beds in Munich.

I have inquired about mask requirements when I found the LH agent's explanation confusing where she advised to take masks, but then said we may or may not have to wear them. It still seems ambiguous to me...my understanding is that it's up to FA interpretation.

Otherwise, on my end, I would expect to give updates on the state of the first class "area" of the lounge in BOS; the BOS lounge area menu to the extent it's different from the previous menu posted; the extent as to whether there are any premium F&B options there; and other updates on the flight, including our opinions on the F&B, down to how many bottles of the Alexandra are available to start the flight given the unusually large disparity between the Alexandra and the Thienot; how full the cabin becomes as we progress from F4 to departure; and the Munich FCL (although that's been pretty well covered), including our experience trying to score a day bed during our longish layover; as well as the proximity of the FCL to our arrival gate from BOS and our departure gate to NAP. I doubt I'll have much to say about our flight to NAP, unless we get bumped or our bags mis-connect or get lost. I hope we'll be napping during that flight, where we should be able to put our eye-shades to good use.

I am a longstanding early FTer and have extensive international F travel experience for comparison on AF (regular and Concorde), BA (regular and Concorde), LX, CX, SQ, JL and QF)...certainly, there's plenty of room for disagreement on subjective things like F&B quality (which is why when it came to discussing wine and champagne, I defer to Vivino ratings, which are generally honed by hundreds and sometimes thousands of scores).

I think FT is a great resource for asking questions, sharing experiences, giving advice, and sometimes venting. My only real complaint ahead of this trip is about the substandard white champagne for the month of August (which could be compensated for by sufficient quantities of the Alexandra, which many have suggested is questionable), and the reds which top out at a $56 bottle with a 3.9 rating and go way down from there.

If I offended anyone, I am sorry. I have appreciated most peoples' advice and perspective...

Some people just want to jump on people, despite earnest and genuine interchange, but most are well intended and engaged, and that's what makes FT great!

Last edited by nologic; Aug 4, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

It’s the cost, they consider FCT & FCLA is sufficient for now & they think the SEN B F corral is ok…..
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: LH HON**
It’s the cost, they consider FCT & FCLA is sufficient for now & they think the SEN B F corral is ok…..
It isn’t ok. It’s a factor that has certainly influenced my choice of whether to fly LH a couple of times this year.

I guess I should start complaining about it more vocally. If enough people do maybe it will help. I would talk to my designated HON rep about it… but she left the company in December and has never been replaced… which is another thing to complain about.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EJJBHX
It isn’t ok. It’s a factor that has certainly influenced my choice of whether to fly LH a couple of times this year.

I guess I should start complaining about it more vocally. If enough people do maybe it will help. I would talk to my designated HON rep about it… but she left the company in December and has never been replaced… which is another thing to complain about.
I agree it’s not ok & i have told my HON PA, that’s where the information came from, it’s budgets & they are unable to justify 3 F lounges when the demand is being met by 2.

Doesn’t bother me too much since i prefer the FCT anyway but the stamps in my passport are a pain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.