FCL restart

Old Jul 22, 20, 1:18 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 1,342
The smoked salmon, as described on the menu, sounds the same as the pre-corona version so that's positive. Obviously, it's from a package since I don't expect the FCL/FCT staff to be fishing for salmon in the Rhein and then smoking it themselves...
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:19 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: RU/UA
Posts: 7,282
The Rhein? The Tay perhaps. Alas, it's all farmed.
hugolover is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:53 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
The smoked salmon, as described on the menu, sounds the same as the pre-corona version so that's positive. Obviously, it's from a package since I don't expect the FCL/FCT staff to be fishing for salmon in the Rhein and then smoking it themselves...
I didnít suggest river fishing and salmon smoking... I said it should be possible to offer the same service as before the pandemic. The point is itís clearly a cost decision, not a hygiene decision. Thatís pretty shabby since theyíre not charging less than normal.
chris63 likes this.
FlyerLX is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:04 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 1,342
Originally Posted by FlyerLX View Post
I didnít suggest river fishing and salmon smoking... I said it should be possible to offer the same service as before the pandemic. The point is itís clearly a cost decision, not a hygiene decision. Thatís pretty shabby since theyíre not charging less than normal.
I was reacting to the absolute (and in my opinion, exaggerated) statement that ".. All from a packet... Really they might as well not bother." because while this is not the like the old menu, it's decent enough and I am sure that you will be hard pressed to find a lounge in world today with a better offering.

In terms of your quoted message, I don't think the "same" service SHOULD be available now (specifically a full open buffet) (it's "possible" but not advisable) but I agree that the choices, prepared to order or handled by staff, COULD be vastly expanded and closer to what it used to be. However, in fairness, considering the dramatic decrease in demand, I don't think it's unreasonable to have an abbreviated menu. While they are not charging less per ticket, they are not selling as many tickets either, and one should look at the overall cost/revenue model.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:44 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
it's decent enough
For the reasons I already stated, I'm afraid I still disagree.

Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
I am sure that you will be hard pressed to find a lounge in world today with a better offering.
That may well be true. But I don't believe that justifies LH's poor menu here.

Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
I don't think the "same" service SHOULD be available now (specifically a full open buffet)
In fact, the normal offering in the FCT/FCL consists of waiter service plus a fairly small buffet. It's the waiter service which I believe should be improved.

Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
one should look at the overall cost/revenue model.
That's a task for LH. As a fairly frequent flyer on LH, I think it's OK for me to call shoddy service out. This is shoddy service.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Jul 22, 20 at 5:38 pm
FlyerLX is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 1:26 am
  #36  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 39,367
The statement from LH in VFT was that they normally have about 200 visitors in the FC facilities per day. Nowadays with the reduced schedule and nearly no F service operating the expected visitors in the FCL will be a tiny fraction of that. If they want to offer the full menu they would need to throw away the uneaten stuff away after each day. Looks like Do&Co made a minimum they can provide (like in WAW) under the current traffic. It is what it is... if they keep the FCLs closed people are upset, if they open it people are upset...
airoli likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 1:50 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Posts: 145
Well letís hope things will ramp up now, and that the FCL/FCT offering isnít permanently reduced...

With fewer or no A380, maybe no A340-600 and possibly only 747-800 remaining as first class equipped aircraft, the signs for F on LH arenít good.

Is it likely- as discussed in different threads- that the new M&M structure will mean more HONs and fewer F pax ? If not, itís difficult to see how the cost of First Class facilities on the ground, including FCT/FCL, is justified...
FlyerLX is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 1:54 am
  #38  
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 2,090
Originally Posted by FlyerLX View Post
Well letís hope things will ramp up now, and that the FCL/FCT offering isnít permanently reduced...

With fewer or no A380, maybe no A340-600 and possibly only 747-800 remaining as first class equipped aircraft, the signs for F on LH arenít good.

Is it likely- as discussed in different threads- that the new M&M structure will mean more HONs and fewer F pax ? If not, itís difficult to see how the cost of First Class facilities on the ground, including FCT/FCL, is justified...
You're overthinking it.

FCL and FCT are all set to reopen eventually. But given the cirumcstances nobody really knows when.
Nick Art is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:28 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
You're overthinking it.

FCL and FCT are all set to reopen eventually. But given the cirumcstances nobody really knows when.
I hope youíre right...!😊

Nevertheless I am interested... Do people think that FCT/FCL will see more HONs and fewer F pax once ďnew normalĒ is in place ? Or will there just be fewer lounge users every day?
FlyerLX is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:31 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,898
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The statement from LH in VFT was that they normally have about 200 visitors in the FC facilities per day. Nowadays with the reduced schedule and nearly no F service operating the expected visitors in the FCL will be a tiny fraction of that. If they want to offer the full menu they would need to throw away the uneaten stuff away after each day. Looks like Do&Co made a minimum they can provide (like in WAW) under the current traffic. It is what it is... if they keep the FCLs closed people are upset, if they open it people are upset...
They need to think about enticing F & HON pax back, that offering wonít do it for me.

A decent Chef knows how to make things last & ensure little or no waste, maybe they have Freezers in those state of the art kitchens
FlyerLX likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:42 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by FlyerLX View Post
Do people think that FCT/FCL will see more HONs and fewer F pax once ďnew normalĒ is in place ?
In the absence of knowledge on what that "new normal" will look like (notably long-haul travel ability, fleet structure, corporate and leisure travel demand etc.) and when it will arrive, we might as well speculate on the weather 10 years from now.

For us, and LH managers, it is "wait and see" - likely with scenarios for all sorts of outcome.
airoli is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 6:25 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MIA
Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
They need to think about enticing F & HON pax back, that offering wonít do it for me.
Are you really going to change your travel pattern because of the FCL food? If you are lucky enough to pick carriers yourself and/or are able to fly F - wouldn't you pick your airline based on what your travel need is. I am usually an AA/BA person - and rarely book F - but get upgraded 10-12 times a year (normal year). I sometimes fly LH - also usually J.
I flew LH F this week because I felt it gave me the most distance to other people on the plane (worked out great) - what "attracted me" to LH was the simple fact that they could get me where I wanted to be with the least number of stops and the least perceived risk of sitting near anyone with Covid.

I
flying_geek is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 7:34 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,898
Originally Posted by flying_geek View Post
Are you really going to change your travel pattern because of the FCL food? If you are lucky enough to pick carriers yourself and/or are able to fly F - wouldn't you pick your airline based on what your travel need is. I am usually an AA/BA person - and rarely book F - but get upgraded 10-12 times a year (normal year). I sometimes fly LH - also usually J.
I flew LH F this week because I felt it gave me the most distance to other people on the plane (worked out great) - what "attracted me" to LH was the simple fact that they could get me where I wanted to be with the least number of stops and the least perceived risk of sitting near anyone with Covid.

I
No, however Iím free to choose the carrier & in F always, where available, since the HON services are also lacking I will use the airline that provides the best Overall F experience
chris63 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 11:30 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London | Sydney
Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 1,015
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
No, however Iím free to choose the carrier & in F always, where available, since the HON services are also lacking I will use the airline that provides the best Overall F experience
I agree with this... and the airport experience is important to me on both ends of the journey. Thatís what LH usually nails (and I donít mean just lounges, itís limousine service, private security, fast track through immigration etc).. without that, my business will go to best overall
chris63 likes this.
vantage03 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 20, 1:53 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Up in the air
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, IC Royal Ambassador
Posts: 300
The food offering looks fine to me.
It's good progress and I am happy about that.
MumbaiDan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: