LOT Polish reopens lounges

Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Horrific news from KRK

Despite the best efforts of the Management’s interpretation and the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate, I spotted the elements of a super spreader event.

NUTS have been consumed:

Deadly contraband

And a disgraceful pax has smuggled bevvies into the cis-man toilet. Probably espousing toxic masculinity in the process.

1L of illegal beverages surreptitiously tucked under the lav
chris63, Marcin83, raporot and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:29 am

So, is it confirmed that lounges in Warsaw are open but without any F&B offering of any kind. Do you know how long these no-sense measures will be in place for? I am supposed to fly out from WAW on 06.11.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fil_87
So, is it confirmed that lounges in Warsaw are open but without any F&B offering of any kind. Do you know how long these no-sense measures will be in place for? I am supposed to fly out from WAW on 06.11.
Only Preludium, an airport lounge is open. Polonez (LO) Fantazja and Mazurek (LO) and Bolero are closed, the latter are the two non-Schengen lounges.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can take outside food & drink into Preludium.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
You can take outside food & drink into Preludium.
Cost-cutting from LOT. Simple as that.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fil_87
Cost-cutting from LOT. Simple as that.
As far as I understand, lounges are not allowed to offer food & beverage.
So LOT has decided to close their lounge; they do not earn revenue from their lounges nor they do lose when they close them. The LOT management might have found it economically more proficient to close the lounge instead of restructuring it as a seating area for eligible passengers.

On the other hand, the Preludium lounge is a PriorityPass lounge and also accepts some other memberships. They earn money from those membership partners per each person that visits. Their revenue comes from passenger flow.

Also, people bringing their own food to the LOT lounge would decrease the company's reputation and decrease the quality of the lounge. In an airport lounge where I'm doing work on my computer or when I'm resting before the flight, I wouldn't appreciate someone eating Chicken McNuggets or a Big Mac that could change the smell and the ambiance of the lounge.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:01 am

Question

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I wouldn't appreciate someone eating Chicken McNuggets or a Big Mac that could change the smell and the ambiance of the lounge.
sorry, I've been in many Lounges around the world, but I've never seen people brought in their own food or McDonalds, where was it?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by raporot
sorry, I've been in many Lounges around the world, but I've never seen people brought in their own food or McDonalds, where was it?
Not in Warsaw, but I've seen people in many lounges around the world ( mostly in the USA ) bringing hamburgers, fried chicken, etc... to the lounge.

I'm not sure which restaurants are currently open at WAW, although, according to the WAW official website ( last updated 28 Aug ), most merchants that were open at that time are either coffee shops ( food would be sandwiches, quiches, etc... ) or fast-food restaurants. I am not sure if Bijanka and The Flame are open at this point.

https://www.lotnisko-chopina.pl/en/n...szczegoly.html

Transit zone (gastronomy)

Costa Fresco
Johnny Rockets
McDonald’s
Bijanka - Schengen
Costa Coffee – Southern pier, Schengen
The Flame
Paul
Atmosphere – non Schengen
Costa Coffee – non Schengen
Costa Coffee – non Schengen cart
Misa Milk Bar - non Schengen
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Not in Warsaw, but I've seen people in many lounges around the world ( mostly in the USA ) bringing hamburgers, fried chicken, etc... to the lounge.
Interesting, I was once not allowed inside the United Club Lounge at ORD with a hamburger, which I bought right across the lounge after I had had a peek at the lounge "food" being offered
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As far as I understand, lounges are not allowed to offer food & beverage.
So LOT has decided to close their lounge; they do not earn revenue from their lounges nor they do lose when they close them. The LOT management might have found it economically more proficient to close the lounge instead of restructuring it as a seating area for eligible passengers.

On the other hand, the Preludium lounge is a PriorityPass lounge and also accepts some other memberships. They earn money from those membership partners per each person that visits. Their revenue comes from passenger flow.

Also, people bringing their own food to the LOT lounge would decrease the company's reputation and decrease the quality of the lounge. In an airport lounge where I'm doing work on my computer or when I'm resting before the flight, I wouldn't appreciate someone eating Chicken McNuggets or a Big Mac that could change the smell and the ambiance of the lounge.

Lounges are a revenue earner, as its part of the product. Unless you want to run cook the books fiddling unbundling accounting and open debates as to whether C/F is profitable. Moreover, one of the core reasons to re-open Elite was to collect all of Helga's lovely beans from all her pax. Lounges were important for LOT as they were opened the first day flights recommenced on 01JUN despite the fact that as operating carrier, all visits are accounted back to LOT. Think back to Helga's & BArbs all closed and with Kit Kats and LOT were already weeks ahead in terms of what was offered. Food costs have increased significantly since removing the buffet and they have spent MORE, not less by introducing a varied offer of hot dishes using costlier ingredients. Everyone I've spoken to, including staff who eat the food say the food is better.

I think LOT, quite reasonably, took the view of why bother? No food, no drinks, who wants to visit and there would be so many complaints. Recall the varied interpretation across Poland that the likes of Wroclaw and Gdansk are open as usual, KRK is open but not even water, WAW open and no issues with outside food. In terms of "reconstructing it" all they'd need to do is take all the food and drinks out. Probably would take 30 mins.

There are so few pax in Preludium there's no way the income from guests even covers staffing costs. I saw a full suite of staff working and I thought that like Basia, they use zero hours workers they could just ask not to attend work. Perhaps they have a lot of full time staff meaning its even costlier.

It didn't/doesn't bother me with regards to outside food. When I was in Preludium I saw pax munching on McDo. Staff were attending tables removing leftover detritus. Plus there were a couple of families with disabled kids and I don't see what purpose it would serve to disallow that and where would the standard be set? Disabled kids but not healthy ones, diabetic grandmas but not fit ones.

Better to just let pax get on with it.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raporot
Wasn't there a thread on people bringing onto an intercontinental F flight? Might have been on the BA forum.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:53 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Wasn't there a thread on people bringing onto an intercontinental F flight? Might have been on the BA forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32715381-post78.html

and the following posts.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Management are seeking to re-open Polonez very soon WITHOUT any F&B.

If its put to any of the Commies why Katowice, Gdansk and Wroclaw ignore all this, there are no explanations. I guess those three airports are gonna get colossal fines and their airport managers will be on the Lidl beans from the Food Banks by the time the week is out?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ignoring the poor English, its excellent they are trying something. Hot drinks, cold, snacks to go. I am sure Basia will appreciate her gash being filled up with my refuse.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
https://www.facebook.com/KrakowAirpo...66542100040483

Ignoring the poor English, its excellent they are trying something. Hot drinks, cold, snacks to go. I am sure Basia will appreciate her gash being filled up with my refuse.
Do you expect WAW lounges to offer takeout soon ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.