Paid upgrade for flight

Old Jul 2, 20, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Silver, Marriot Silver Elite
Paid upgrade for flight

Hello,

I have a question regarding paid Upgrades. Am I eligible for the payed upgrade / bid upgrade if I purchase the flight ticket via 3rd party website?

Best Regards
DC10
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It depends which airline has issued you the ticket.
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
It depends which airline has issued you the ticket.
Ticket would be issued by Austrian Airlines (OS) or Lufthansa. The problem is that on LH website I can't book this connection but is bookable via third party website. And since this is my first flight after a while (due to COVID-19) I want to upgrade my self on one sector of the flight to J class.
Old Jul 2, 20, 9:28 am

You can always call LH or OS and get it booked via the telephone. If you book via a 3rd party website, this probably means OTA and looking at the current situation... is asking for trouble. You really want to have LH or OS in control of the ticket without a middle man right now. Especially not a cheapo OTA.
Old Jul 3, 20, 8:23 am
Original Poster

When I look on Lufthansa / Austrian website I can't book some connection, but I can do them via third party booking agent. I don't know where the catch is, all connections are longer than MCT. I think that in last few days LH/OS have blocked some flights, do anyone know why this would happens?
Old Jul 3, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by DC10 View Post
Am I eligible for the payed upgrade / bid upgrade if I purchase the flight ticket via 3rd party website?
Code shares are generally excluded so you should ensure the flight number matches the operating carrier.

But then it is still up to the airline whether to let you bid or purchase an upgrade, no guarantees

When I look on Lufthansa / Austrian website I can't book some connection, but I can do them via third party booking agent.
See if you can bring up your preferred itinerary on one of the metasearch services which price and link to LH.com

I've used this trick in the past to book an itinerary that LH.com refused to surface for me. I.e. found what I wanted on Kayak, clicked through to LH.com to purchase it.
Old Jul 3, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do not use an OTA!
Old Jul 3, 20, 10:48 am

When I look on Lufthansa / Austrian website I can't book some connection, but I can do them via third party booking agent. I don't know where the catch is, all connections are longer than MCT. I think that in last few days LH/OS have blocked some flights, do anyone know why this would happens?
Call in. It is a simple as that. They charge a $20 fee, but that is worth it... every penny. And you can ask them to waive the fee if it is a legal connection but the LG website won't offer it.
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
A different question on paid upgrades. I would like to upgrade on my return flight, do I have to do it before the outbound flight or will it still be possible once I flew the outbound part?
Old Jul 5, 20, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Hello,

First thanks for the answers, I will book via LH or OS. I will try to speak with the call center in order to arrange flights as I want to. I have second question, if the flight is bought on OS website, am I still eligible for BidUpgrade / Paid upgrade on LH flight or not? (and vice-versa)

I am asking because the outward journey is operated by OS and return is operated by LH. I have both OS and LH numbers on the itinerary, they are 3 digit ones (non-code share). I want to upgrade on both long segments (1x OS and 1x LH).

Kind Regards
DC10
Old Jul 5, 20, 2:07 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
If its important to fly business, book business though. Even when booking through LH there is no guarantee that you will be able to upgrade later. Only if you 'can live with' flying Economy, book economy and try to upgrade later. If not, book business.
Old Jul 5, 20, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hello,

First thanks for the answers, I will book via LH or OS. I will try to speak with the call center in order to arrange flights as I want to. I have second question, if the flight is bought on OS website, am I still eligible for BidUpgrade / Paid upgrade on LH flight or not? (and vice-versa)

I am asking because the outward journey is operated by OS and return is operated by LH. I have both OS and LH numbers on the itinerary, they are 3 digit ones (non-code share). I want to upgrade on both long segments (1x OS and 1x LH).

Kind Regards
DC10
you can upgrade the native flight numbers. So an OS flight with OS flight number and and LH flight with an LH flight number. I found it makes no difference which ticket stock you have so your scenario should work just fine.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
you can upgrade the native flight numbers. So an OS flight with OS flight number and and LH flight with an LH flight number. I found it makes no difference which ticket stock you have so your scenario should work just fine.
Thank you ! Then I will book via LH website because I like it more. And I will try to submit the upgrade requests and hopefully I am lucky enough.

Have a nice day !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: