Stranded in PER with M&M Award Ticket

Old Jun 19, 20, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many
Stranded in PER with M&M Award Ticket

Situation: German citizen currently in Perth holding a LH M&M Award ticket (220 stock) PER-SIN-DUS for JUL02 on SQ214/SQ338 in C. Both segments have been cancelled by SQ, and there are no SQ flights for all of June/July on either route.
LH M&M has no alternative to offer (also for nearby dates or airports), only offers to cancel and refund the ticket. Buying oneway tickets now is very expensive so I did not cancel yet, hoping for a last minute miracle.
Options found:
  • Book paid Scoot (TR) flight for PER-SIN and then SQ SIN-FRA/DUS/MUC as an award. Transit in SIN is currently only allowed within SIA group (including Scoot), not to LH, LX or any other airlines. No SQ flight awards available in C (as usual...), only eco on some days.
  • As above but paid SQ flight in C. Transit should work since both are SIA flights (even though this may be 2 separate tickets?) but expensive (SIN-FRA in C from 2760 Euro, plus ~200 for Scoot in Eco)
  • Buy GA PER-JKT-AMS. Best option, with 6 seats in C left at 1880 Euro. Transit situation in Jakarta is unclear. IATA/Timatic says "Passengers are not allowed to enter and transit." but the flight is offered. Entry regulations on their web page do not include International-International transit. Helpdesk (chat) is useless. Does anyone know from recent experience?
  • Buy PER-DOH-FRA on QR. Qatar has been the standard escape route from Oz to the EU in the last weeks so this should work (also according to Timatic). Cost is ~4.500 Euro unless flying via MEL/SYD (one more segment, + many more hours flight, and still >3500 Euro).
Now I look for your advice:
  • Do I have any leverage on LH M&M to make them provide me with any of the above? (Don´t think that SQ will do anything for me based on a M&M award...)
  • Any helpful insights on the options listed?
  • Any other option that I missed?
Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 19, 20, 8:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You have to push M&M to get you home. They should contact SQ to open up space or book the ticket in a revenue booking class. SQ is the one who has to accomodate you after cancelling.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
LH M&M is not going to rebook you into revenue flights, neither with SQ or OAL. Period. Not going to happen.

I agree with the above. Your best chance is to contact M&M and have M&M try to resolve this by contacting their partners for award availability

As a last resort you show up at PER airport for check-in on 2JUL; act surprised as you knew nothing about the cancellation and approach ground /airport staff to have it fixed. Airport staff has much more leeway to rebook you; again as these are award tickets this may prevent you from getting this resolved at the airport. Staff may encourage you to contact LH M&M for rebooking as soon as they realise that this is an award.

Good luck!

Last edited by SK AAR; Jun 19, 20 at 10:14 pm Reason: BNE corrected to PER
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver renewed on 0 tier points
On some days QF is operating PER-LHR, getting back to DUS from there is reasonably easy, Eurowings operating some days LHR-DUS or to FRA with LH several times every day. It will be costly but should work.

Qatar seems to have a very high rate of infection currently, it would be my last choice of places to transit, in fact I would just avoid it no matter what.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
You have to push M&M to get you home. They should contact SQ to open up space or book the ticket in a revenue booking class. SQ is the one who has to accomodate you after cancelling.
This is what I thoght too. M&M agent said no way, they have no SQ contact and can only book the awards as they are in the system. Asked to be connected to somebody who can, but that was declined too.

HUCA? Are there any rules to this point that I could cite?
Old Jun 19, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I think you are genuinely out of luck here. M&M will not rebook you on a non-Star Alliance flight, whether in revenue or reward classes. And from your post, I infer that there is currently no Star Alliance service to PER. (Scoot is not part of Star Alliance.)

In addition to the options you found yourself, I was thinking about maybe buying your own ticket (if flights are available) from PER to HKG or NRT and trying to connect to an LHG flight from there - M&M should be able to get you a seat on LHG flights. No idea what the transit rules on two separate tickets are, though.
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you need to leave AU?
Are there M&M award flights from SIN to anywhere in EU?
Changi Airport to allow transit from 2nd June
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...-june-2-a.html

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
LH M&M is not going to rebook you into revenue flights, neither with SQ or OAL. Period. Not going to happen.

I agree with the above. Your best chance is to contact M&M and have M&M try to resolve this by contacting their partners for award availability

As a last resort you show up at BNE airport for check-in on 2JUL; act surprised as you knew nothing about the cancellation and approach ground /airport staff to have it fixed. Airport staff has much more leeway to rebook you; again as these are award tickets this may prevent you from getting this resolved at the airport. Staff may encourage you to contact LH M&M for rebooking as soon as they realise that this is an award.

Good luck!
Do you mean PER? BNE is a long way from PER
Great Circle Mapper

Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
On some days QF is operating PER-LHR, getting back to DUS from there is reasonably easy, Eurowings operating some days LHR-DUS or to FRA with LH several times every day. It will be costly but should work.

Qatar seems to have a very high rate of infection currently, it would be my last choice of places to transit, in fact I would just avoid it no matter what.
The QF9/QF10 MEL-PER-LHR was underwritten by the AU Government, but these have now stopped (~8 June)
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...on-los-angeles

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...o-late-october
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:37 pm

Is there any reason why you insist on travelling in business class? In the current environment, especially if you are faced with the reality of having to finance a one-way ticket yourself, an economy ticket will be a fraction of the price.

Have you looked at options from SYD? Apparently SQ and NH still fly there so LH might be able to rebook you. On PER SYD I see QF and VA fly once per day, but this you will have to finance yourself.
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
Is there any reason why you insist on travelling in business class? In the current environment, especially if you are faced with the reality of having to finance a one-way ticket yourself, an economy ticket will be a fraction of the price.

Have you looked at options from SYD? Apparently SQ and NH still fly there so LH might be able to rebook you. On PER SYD I see QF and VA fly once per day, but this you will have to finance yourself.
And MEL & BNE. SYD is not the only airport operating in Australia
PER-SYD/MEL/BNE is very expensive to buy
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ansit-stopover
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...etihad-flights

As above Qatar QR has been a major source of flights to/from Australia
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
  • Book paid Scoot (TR) flight for PER-SIN and then SQ SIN-FRA/DUS/MUC as an award. Transit in SIN is currently only allowed within SIA group (including Scoot), not to LH, LX or any other airlines. No SQ flight awards available in C (as usual...), only eco on some days.
  • As above but paid SQ flight in C. Transit should work since both are SIA flights (even though this may be 2 separate tickets?) but expensive (SIN-FRA in C from 2760 Euro, plus ~200 for Scoot in Eco)
  • Buy GA PER-JKT-AMS. Best option, with 6 seats in C left at 1880 Euro. Transit situation in Jakarta is unclear. IATA/Timatic says "Passengers are not allowed to enter and transit." but the flight is offered. Entry regulations on their web page do not include International-International transit. Helpdesk (chat) is useless. Does anyone know from recent experience?
  • Buy PER-DOH-FRA on QR. Qatar has been the standard escape route from Oz to the EU in the last weeks so this should work (also according to Timatic). Cost is ~4.500 Euro unless flying via MEL/SYD (one more segment, + many more hours flight, and still >3500 Euro).
Thanks a lot!
Option 1 - Not possible... To transit via Changi both flights have to be on the same ticket. If you show up for the Scoot flight in Perth with no onward travel they won't let you board. (more details here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=kataac8r)
Option 2 - Again not possible because transit requires a single ticket.
Option 3 - Again not possible as Indonesia will not let you transit. No idea why this connection is still being sold.
Option 4 - The only option you've listed that actually is possible. Transit via Dubai and Doha is still ok.

From Perth the only options without another stop in Australia are:
Perth-Singapore-Frankfurt (about 2 times per week, however, do note that these transits are around 24 hours and you'll have to spend that time in the Aerotel at Changi airport where you can't leave the room)
Perth-Dubai-Frankfurt (one flight per week from Perth on a Thursday but has a short connection time in Dubai of a few hours)
Perth-Doha-Frankfurt (daily services with short connection times of a couple of hours to most European cities).
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
If you can get yourself to SYD then there's business award availability on NH SYD-HND connecting to LH HND-FRA on July 4 — Japan's still allowing connections so that may be an option if you're willing to pay out of pocket for PER-SYD
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
You have a valid ticket and SQ are responsible for getting you to your destination. They cancelled your flight so must book you an alternative. Problem is that there’s currently no Star Alliance flights operating out of Perth.

I would suggest Qatar via Doha to Frankfurt. Request it from SQ. When they refuse, then buy a ticket and sue SQ when you are back home in Germany for the money.
Old Jun 19, 20, 9:26 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
You have a valid ticket and SQ are responsible for getting you to your destination. They cancelled your flight so must book you an alternative. Problem is that there’s currently no Star Alliance flights operating out of Perth.

I would suggest Qatar via Doha to Frankfurt. Request it from SQ. When they refuse, then buy a ticket and sue SQ when you are back home in Germany for the money.
OP, this is bad advice and you should not listen to it. Regardless of who is right or wrong, spending money with a vague plan to recover it later via lawsuits without having consulted a lawyer is a terrible idea.
LondonElite, Andriyko and 8420PR like this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Wow, very poor advice. Do that and you will likely never recover the costs of the QR ticket.

Did you talk to your travel insurance?
Old Jun 19, 20, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Wow, very poor advice. Do that and you will likely never recover the costs of the QR ticket.

Did you talk to your travel insurance?
Well at some point I will have to spend money to get home. I don’t know or have any insurance that would cover this, unless if this were a medical emergency. I would then certainly ask M&M for a refund but my hopes are rather low.

Any idea how I can urge M&M to urge SQ to put me on one of their available flights? That would seem a reasonable request and, if declined in writing, should increase the odds for a later refund...

Can anyone point me to the rules that would define the obligations of M&M and SQ in that situation? Cannot find any applicable T&C.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: