FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   OS codeshare on ET GVA-VIE cancelled by OS, but ET still selling tix (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2019783-os-codeshare-et-gva-vie-cancelled-os-but-et-still-selling-tix.html)

rosenkavalier Jun 16, 2020 2:40 am

OS codeshare on ET GVA-VIE cancelled by OS, but ET still selling tix

Hi there,
just received an email from OS that my flight on Saturday GVA-VIE has been cancelled. Its the codeshare operated by ET that continues onto ADD. Curiously Google Flights still showing this flight (GVA-ADD with stop in VIE) on sale and ET website also still selling tickets. (Why did OS cancel it unilaterally only for their pax?)
There are no options for rebooking on that day, I have searched everything, I am even willing to fly in the morning on Sunday, but nothing that doesn't involve an overnight in either FRA/MUC. I assume LH Group won't be picking up the tab for any hotel bill...
Given there is nothing to rebook to and I can't leave on Friday and have to arrive in VIE by Sunday noon (its a work trip so no flexibility), should I just show up at ET check in on Saturday in GVA and play dumb and try to get on that flight?!! It seems to me that won't end well but as of now, is my best option!! Night trains from ZRH only start on the 26th June...and I would rather rebook than go through the whole refund circus as I actually need to fly and would love to be able to use any option LH Group could propose me.
Any advice would be appreciated...!!
Thanks!

oliver2002 Jun 16, 2020 3:52 am

It seems ET no longer has local traffic rights on the GVA VIE sector:

Code:

DOET726/20JUN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              ET 726    4 SA 20JUN20   
APT ARR  DY DEP  DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT  TTL 
ADD          0040  SA CJDPZI/D  Y/S      787        6:50     
                      GSXBMKLVHUQ/S                           
                      TWEO/S                                   
GVA 0630  SA 2005  SA CJDPZIYGSXB/S            13:35  1:10     
                      MKLVHUQTWEO/S                           
VIE 2115  SA 2215  SA CJDPZIYGSXB/D            1:00  6:30     
                      MKLVHUQTWEO/D                           
ADD 0545  SU                                              29:05

COMMENTS-
 1.ADD VIE  - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC                             
 2.GVA VIE  - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC                             
 3.ENTIRE FLT-  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                   
 4.ADD GVA  -  CO2/PAX* 261.20 KG ECO, 522.39 KG PRE         
 5.ADD VIE  -  CO2/PAX* 370.27 KG ECO, 631.46 KG PRE         
 6.ADD ADD  -  CO2/PAX* 622.42 KG ECO, 1,135.78 KG PRE       
 7.GVA VIE  -  CO2/PAX* 109.07 KG ECO, 109.07 KG PRE         
 8.GVA ADD  -  CO2/PAX* 361.23 KG ECO, 613.38 KG PRE         
 9.VIE ADD  -  CO2/PAX* 252.16 KG ECO, 504.31 KG PRE         
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR

No seats for sale either:

Code:

an20jungvavie
AN20JUNGVAVIE
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** VIE VIENNA.AT                  4 SA 20JUN 0000
 1LX:LH5763  JL CL YL BL ML      /GVA 1 FRA 1  1045    1205  E0/221
    LH1240  JL CL YL BL ML      /FRA 1 VIE    1350    1510  E0/32N      4:25
 2LX:LH5763  J3 CL Y7 B3 M1      /GVA 1 FRA 1  1045    1205  E0/221
  LH:OS7208  JL CL YL BL ML      /FRA 1 VIE    1350    1510  E0/32N      4:25

>an20jungvavie/aet726
AN20JUNGVAVIE/AET726                                                           
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** VIE VIENNA.AT                  4 SA 20JUN 0000 
NO FLIGHT FOR THIS CITY PAIR - ENTER A CONNECT POINT /X...

So OS can't even book you onto the flight if they even wanted to (which they can under irreg rules). OS is still codesharing ET726 from VIE to ADD.

MichaelA380 Jun 16, 2020 5:47 am

Given that OS have cancelled the ticket they sold you, they have to offer you an alternative rebooking possibility under Regulation 261/2004, which may also involve a hotel stay at their expense - if you have not asked already and that option works for you (i.e. flying out on Friday evening and overnighting in e.g. FRA), I suggest you do.

Alternatively, what prevents you from taking a daytime train from Zurich to Vienna on Saturday (that would have been my preferred option)?

rosenkavalier Jun 16, 2020 6:09 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32460112)

Code:

DOET726/20JUN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* ET 726 4 SA 20JUN20
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
ADD 0040 SA CJDPZI/D Y/S 787 6:50
GSXBMKLVHUQ/S
TWEO/S
GVA 0630 SA 2005 SA CJDPZIYGSXB/S 13:35 1:10
MKLVHUQTWEO/S
VIE 2115 SA 2215 SA CJDPZIYGSXB/D 1:00 6:30
MKLVHUQTWEO/D
ADD 0545 SU 29:05

COMMENTS-
1.ADD VIE - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
2.GVA VIE - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
3.ENTIRE FLT- ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
4.ADD GVA - CO2/PAX* 261.20 KG ECO, 522.39 KG PRE
5.ADD VIE - CO2/PAX* 370.27 KG ECO, 631.46 KG PRE
6.ADD ADD - CO2/PAX* 622.42 KG ECO, 1,135.78 KG PRE
7.GVA VIE - CO2/PAX* 109.07 KG ECO, 109.07 KG PRE
8.GVA ADD - CO2/PAX* 361.23 KG ECO, 613.38 KG PRE
9.VIE ADD - CO2/PAX* 252.16 KG ECO, 504.31 KG PRE

Code:

an20jungvavie
AN20JUNGVAVIE
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** VIE VIENNA.AT 4 SA 20JUN 0000
1LX:LH5763 JL CL YL BL ML /GVA 1 FRA 1 1045 1205 E0/221
LH1240 JL CL YL BL ML /FRA 1 VIE 1350 1510 E0/32N 4:25
2LX:LH5763 J3 CL Y7 B3 M1 /GVA 1 FRA 1 1045 1205 E0/221
LH:OS7208 JL CL YL BL ML /FRA 1 VIE 1350 1510 E0/32N 4:25

>an20jungvavie/aet726
AN20JUNGVAVIE/AET726

So OS can't even book you onto the flight if they even wanted to (which they can under irreg rules). OS is still codesharing ET726 from VIE to ADD.

thanks for the info! Funny thing is that OS sold me the ticket just one week ago...were the local traffic rights pulled now or did they make a mistake putting the flight up on sale on their website?

rosenkavalier Jun 16, 2020 6:21 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 (Post 32460271)
Given that OS have cancelled the ticket they sold you, they have to offer you an alternative rebooking possibility under Regulation 261/2004, which may also involve a hotel stay at their expense - if you have not asked already and that option works for you (i.e. flying out on Friday evening and overnighting in e.g. FRA), I suggest you do.

Alternatively, what prevents you from taking a daytime train from Zurich to Vienna on Saturday (that would have been my preferred option)?

If hotel would be provided by OS for an overnight in FRA/MUC, then I guess that's the best option. I would have thought they would only provide hotel if the change was made when the flight is under airport control (last minute rebooking), never encountered the situation where a call center agent also provides hotel accommodation. But I would love to be proved wrong.

As for the train, since this flight will be reimbursed by employer, I would really prefer not to complicate things by having to wait for a refund and buying other travel to get to where I need, after all its OS who cancelled my flight, so its up to them to get me to my destination. Also with LH Group's track record on refunds, it seems very touch and go at this point, I have a personal trip that was refunded within three months by OS, which I consider a miracle but no guarantee that subsequent requests will be handled in a similar fashion.
I just want to keep the reimbursements straightforward.

MichaelA380 Jun 16, 2020 6:59 am

The only thing that I can suggest is to talk to OS as soon as possible and see what they will offer - this way you will have more time to arrange for alternatives, by yourself if needed. At the end of the day, you will have to take a personal decision which is more important - to be at your destination irrespective of the costs and dealing with all the hassle or have a straightforward experince but not reach in time.

rosenkavalier Jun 16, 2020 7:32 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 (Post 32460460)
The only thing that I can suggest is to talk to OS as soon as possible and see what they will offer - this way you will have more time to arrange for alternatives, by yourself if needed. At the end of the day, you will have to take a personal decision which is more important - to be at your destination irrespective of the costs and dealing with all the hassle or have a straightforward experince but not reach in time.

on hold now with OS, the Blue Danube music is starting to really get annoying, especially as they only play the first phrase in a truncated version, with pop back beat! Will report back what they offer.

Carpacchio Jun 18, 2020 3:55 am

Seems that at least occasionally, the flight still operates: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/et726

rosenkavalier Jun 18, 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio (Post 32465973)
Seems that at least occasionally, the flight still operates: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/et726

yes, I think technically that triangle flight operates twice weekly, its just that they don't have 5th freedom rights between GVA-VIE. Funny why OS sold me the codeshare in the first place...(money grab?)

An update to my situation as a data point: I had to make a total of 5 calls spanning 3+ hours to get a simple rebooking. First 3 calls always ended up with line being cut off. I was at home and my wifi and phone network is strong, so it wasn't me. Every time the agent put me on hold to check alternatives, they would transfer me to the internet help desk instead and the line would cut off after a few minutes. Really infuriating after having waited 30+ minutes each time to speak to an agent in the first place. I also always confirmed at the beginning of the call that they had my number to call me back in case line went dead, each time I got an answer in the affirmative but never got a call back. Anyway, I was already armed with flight numbers of an alternative which was showing up on Google flights but curiously none of the phone agents could find. With the 4th phone call, I got an incompetent agent who was not the brightest bulb and so I had to thank him and HUCA. Finally it took the 5th call to get an agent who was much brighter and was willing to plug in my flight numbers to see whether it would work. Even then I had to convince him that it was a viable itinerary as the first flight was showing sold out in Eco, but I had to tell him it would work with married segment logic once the connecting flight was added. With that he was able to reissue the tickets quite quickly. (in these exceptional times it is particularly frustrating that airlines still use married segment logic to limit availability in certain combinations, as of now as long as there is a seat it should be possible to book a pax on that flight...)

My next question is about EC 261/2004. Getting the hotel reimbursed, I was told to book a 3* hotel for my overnight and send in receipts for reimbursement along with any expenses incurred like meals. Any data points would be appreciated, how the process is like, how long it takes them to wire the payment etc. I guess I have to email them though the feedback page on the OS website?
The other claim I will be making is the EUR 250 compensation as I am leaving 9+ hours earlier and arriving 12 hours later than originally scheduled. I guess I should be ready for resistance with bogus excuses not to pay. *sigh*

rosenkavalier Jul 13, 2020 11:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32460112)

Code:

DOET726/20JUN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* ET 726 4 SA 20JUN20
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
ADD 0040 SA CJDPZI/D Y/S 787 6:50
GSXBMKLVHUQ/S
TWEO/S
GVA 0630 SA 2005 SA CJDPZIYGSXB/S 13:35 1:10
MKLVHUQTWEO/S
VIE 2115 SA 2215 SA CJDPZIYGSXB/D 1:00 6:30
MKLVHUQTWEO/D
ADD 0545 SU 29:05

COMMENTS-
1.ADD VIE - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
2.GVA VIE - A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
3.ENTIRE FLT- ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
4.ADD GVA - CO2/PAX* 261.20 KG ECO, 522.39 KG PRE
5.ADD VIE - CO2/PAX* 370.27 KG ECO, 631.46 KG PRE
6.ADD ADD - CO2/PAX* 622.42 KG ECO, 1,135.78 KG PRE
7.GVA VIE - CO2/PAX* 109.07 KG ECO, 109.07 KG PRE
8.GVA ADD - CO2/PAX* 361.23 KG ECO, 613.38 KG PRE
9.VIE ADD - CO2/PAX* 252.16 KG ECO, 504.31 KG PRE

Code:

an20jungvavie
AN20JUNGVAVIE
1LX:LH5763 JL CL YL BL ML /GVA 1 FRA 1 1045 1205 E0/221
LH1240 JL CL YL BL ML /FRA 1 VIE 1350 1510 E0/32N 4:25
2LX:LH5763 J3 CL Y7 B3 M1 /GVA 1 FRA 1 1045 1205 E0/221
LH:OS7208 JL CL YL BL ML /FRA 1 VIE 1350 1510 E0/32N 4:25

>an20jungvavie/aet726
AN20JUNGVAVIE/AET726

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier (Post 32466868)
My next question is about EC 261/2004. Getting the hotel reimbursed, I was told to book a 3* hotel for my overnight and send in receipts for reimbursement along with any expenses incurred like meals. Any data points would be appreciated, how the process is like, how long it takes them to wire the payment etc. I guess I have to email them though the feedback page on the OS website?
The other claim I will be making is the EUR 250 compensation as I am leaving 9+ hours earlier and arriving 12 hours later than originally scheduled. I guess I should be ready for resistance with bogus excuses not to pay. *sigh*

So, the next act in this soap opera. I sent my request for reimbursement of hotel/meals for the night in FRA and EC261 compensation to OS, got the reply today:Thank you for contacting Austrian Airlines. We regret the inconvenience on your trip.
Due to existing international guidelines, Ethiopean Airlines is responsible for your request.
Your letter was forwarded to the airline concerned. This will contact you directly after reviewing the facts.
We thank you for your patience and wish you a nice day.

This is obviously a delay tactic and passing on the hot potato to ET which shouldn't have anything to do with this. It is a simple matter of OS selling me a ticket they shouldn't have and the consequences that came out of it. What do you advise, that I play the game and wait, or reply firmly calling them out on their BS and saying that the flight operated that day and the GDS is showing that OS shouldn't have sold me the ticket in the first place? I feel that would save all parties concerned a lot of time and energy.

Thanks in advance...!

Finkface Jul 13, 2020 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier (Post 32528675)
So, the next act in this soap opera. I sent my request for reimbursement of hotel/meals for the night in FRA and EC261 compensation to OS, got the reply today:Thank you for contacting Austrian Airlines. We regret the inconvenience on your trip.
Due to existing international guidelines, Ethiopean Airlines is responsible for your request.
Your letter was forwarded to the airline concerned. This will contact you directly after reviewing the facts.
We thank you for your patience and wish you a nice day.

This is obviously a delay tactic and passing on the hot potato to ET which shouldn't have anything to do with this. It is a simple matter of OS selling me a ticket they shouldn't have and the consequences that came out of it. What do you advise, that I play the game and wait, or reply firmly calling them out on their BS and saying that the flight operated that day and the GDS is showing that OS shouldn't have sold me the ticket in the first place? I feel that would save all parties concerned a lot of time and energy.

Thanks in advance...!

EC261 claims must always be made via the operating airline. So they are correct that your claim should be made with ET.

(7) In order to ensure the effective application of this Regulation, the obligations that it creates should rest with the operating air carrier who performs or intends to perform a flight, whether with owned aircraft, under dry or wet lease, or on any other basis.

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier (Post 32460031)
just received an email from OS that my flight on Saturday GVA-VIE has been cancelled. Its the codeshare operated by ET that continues onto ADD. Curiously Google Flights still showing this flight (GVA-ADD with stop in VIE) on sale and ET website also still selling tickets. (Why did OS cancel it unilaterally only for their pax?)
Thanks!

rosenkavalier Jul 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 32528707)
EC261 claims must always be made via the operating airline. So they are correct that your claim should be made with ET.

(7) In order to ensure the effective application of this Regulation, the obligations that it creates should rest with the operating air carrier who performs or intends to perform a flight, whether with owned aircraft, under dry or wet lease, or on any other basis.

Oh, didn't realize that. thanks for pointing it out.
In this case though, doesn't make any sense...but let's see what twists and turns this takes.