How to get a refund in less than 30 days (UK residents)

Old Jun 11, 20, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
How to get a refund in less than 30 days (UK residents)

Thought I would share my experience on getting a refund in less than 30 days, it may help others wanting to pursue this avenue.

Background
I had two F tickets from LCY to BKK to fly mid-June. On the 13th of May one of the sectors got cancelled so I called the LX contact centre who told me I could request a refund "at some time in the future".

Process
The same day I sent a letter to LX's legal address in the UK demanding payment within seven days (template attached)
About fifteen days later (you don't have to wait that long, ten days is sufficient) I started a Money Claim Online - basically starting legal procedures against the airline. I added £57 for litigation in person costs, essentially charging £19/hour for my time. £19/hour is the statutory amount you can charge. If you spend more or less time you can charge more or less time. Note that you MUST add your litigation in person costs to the claim, this cannot be upped at a later stage.
Today I received a letter from LX's solicitors stating that "a refund has been issued to the original form of payment" (it hasn't hit my account yet but I will let you know when it does) and asking for my account details to refund the court charges + litigation in person costs.

If more people did this, maybe LH group wouldn't be so arrogant in thinking that they can use their customer's money as a free loan.
Attached Files
Dave_C, chris63, hugolover and 6 others like this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 11, 20 at 11:27 am Reason: removed duplicate attachment as per user request
Old Jun 11, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi
Thank you for your good summary and clear guideline.
may I ask the swiss (LX) postal UK address ?
what is money claim on line ? Did you still have to go to small claim court?
regards

Last edited by john1987; Jun 11, 20 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 11, 20, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
Hi
Thank you for your good summary and clear guideline.
may I ask the swiss (LX) postal UK address ?
regards
You can find it in the template attached to the original post, but in any case:

Swiss International Airlines Ltd
World Business Centre 1
Newall Road
Hounslow
London Heathrow Airport
TW6 2FA

You can find legal addresses for all UK companies here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/?...146.1588688532
Old Jun 11, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
money claim on line . That you refer is the small claim court .?
regards
Old Jun 11, 20, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
money claim on line . That you refer is the small claim court .?
regards
Yes: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 10:31 am

Good for you. Hopefully the taxpayer did not have too much of a cost burden due to LH Group belligerence.

I wonder what Oliver2002 will call this? The “Court Brigade” “MCOL Brigade”?

Suggestions welcome!
Old Jun 13, 20, 10:45 am
formerly maskelo

If you've booked through a travel agent (ie: Expedia), can you do the claim against them? I note they are sometimes refusing to accept refunds and insisting on vouchers
Old Jun 13, 20, 10:56 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If you booked to Exp or other TA/OTA you need to deal with the TA; the airline can't refund directly to you. You paid to the TA/OTA and you need to get your refund from the TA/OTA.
Old Jun 13, 20, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints View Post
If you've booked through a travel agent (ie: Expedia), can you do the claim against them? I note they are sometimes refusing to accept refunds and insisting on vouchers
I believe that it would depend on who charged you. If you booked through an OTA but your Credit Card was charged directly by Lufthansa then I believe you could make a S75 claim as you were charged directly by the merchant providing the service. If you paid an OTA who then passed the money on to Lufthansa (i.e . the OTA appears on your Credit Card bill rather than the airline) that “direct” link would be broken so you might struggle with a S75 claim.
Old Jun 14, 20, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The agency arranges everything and the airline charges the assigned form of pament (FOP). The airline will refund to the original FOP, but the footwork needs to be done by the agent who arranged the original ticket.
Old Jun 15, 20, 3:09 am
formerly maskelo

my tickets bought through expedia were charged directly, does this means I can ask refund directly? Doing Business as:

DEUTSCHE LUFTHANSA MOTO
HOUNSLOW

TW6 3RT

UNITED KINGDOM

At least section 75 would apply on this scenario for a recharge - am I right?
Old Jun 15, 20, 4:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Expedia has to intiate the refund, which will come eventually (2-3 Months). If you chargeback the refund is not magically going to happen faster. See the chargeback thread. All airlines have found an answer to the chargebacks filed to accelerate refunds by now.
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints View Post
my tickets bought through expedia were charged directly, does this means I can ask refund directly? Doing Business as:

DEUTSCHE LUFTHANSA MOTO
HOUNSLOW

TW6 3RT

UNITED KINGDOM

At least section 75 would apply on this scenario for a recharge - am I right?
You need to initiate the refund with Expedia as others have stated - the other night the hold time was 2 minutes and a refund was offered straight away so if you call at the right time it shouldn’t be too much hassle. I was told that Expedia put in the refund request but it is Lufthansa who will process the refund directly to you.

If you do have trouble (for example you don’t get a refund after a long period of time), S75 is an option since Lufthansa charged you. I’m guessing what happens with the S75 will depend on what card you have. It seems that Amex has been getting positive reviews.
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:42 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mario View Post
Thought I would share my experience on getting a refund in less than 30 days, it may help others wanting to pursue this avenue.

Background
I had two F tickets from LCY to BKK to fly mid-June. On the 13th of May one of the sectors got cancelled so I called the LX contact centre who told me I could request a refund "at some time in the future".

Process
The same day I sent a letter to LX's legal address in the UK demanding payment within seven days (template attached)
About fifteen days later (you don't have to wait that long, ten days is sufficient) I started a Money Claim Online - basically starting legal procedures against the airline. I added £57 for litigation in person costs, essentially charging £19/hour for my time. £19/hour is the statutory amount you can charge. If you spend more or less time you can charge more or less time. Note that you MUST add your litigation in person costs to the claim, this cannot be upped at a later stage.
Today I received a letter from LX's solicitors stating that "a refund has been issued to the original form of payment" (it hasn't hit my account yet but I will let you know when it does) and asking for my account details to refund the court charges + litigation in person costs.

If more people did this, maybe LH group wouldn't be so arrogant in thinking that they can use their customer's money as a free loan.
Do bear in mind that sometimes the greater Lufthansa group DOES defend lawsuits, even when they are in the wrong. I missed my connection flying LH due to delay on first leg (entire trip was LH) and since next flight was next day and it was a weekend trip - I requested re-routing back home and reimbursement. LH refunded only 3/4 of the cost since according to them I enjoyed 1/4 of the flight (completely against 261/2004). I have legal insurance so eventually did hire a lawyer to bring a lawsuit and LH has used every trick in the book to delay and increase the legal costs including claiming in front of the judge that since the leg was flown by Lufthansa City Airline the case should be dismissed. When that argument was thrown out their lawyer stated that the case should be dismissed since it was carried out as wet lease by some Spanish airline so I should go after the Spanish airline. Once that was thrown out too they claimed that the delay was due to the aircraft being late in previous rotations . I think their legal bill must now be over 8K EUR and they are defending a claim of the princely sum of 369 EUR . So with this rant, I just want to warn people that taking them to court may not always work and may even end up costing you thousands of Euros if you do not have legal insurance, so you may be better off raising a chargeback.
Old Jun 15, 20, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kataskopos View Post
So with this rant, I just want to warn people that taking them to court may not always work and may even end up costing you thousands of Euros if you do not have legal insurance, so you may be better off raising a chargeback.
The whole point of small claims court is that you don't incur such high legal fees because you don't need to hire an attorney to represent you.

I still have something like 7 pounds of paperwork somewhere in the basement from my SCC filing against LH from the PRG-CPT tickets. They tried to move it to federal court in CA but that was thrown out by the judge as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: