Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa cancelled my flight and has left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa cancelled my flight and has left me stranded

Hello,

I have a ticket from PDX - ADD. I got to Ethiopia a few months ago and things are fine, but I just got an email from Expedia saying my flight was canceled and I could apply for a refund. When I log in to my Lufthansa account I can see the departing flight in February, but no record of the return flight - it looks like I booked a one way.

I called Expedia and they said due to Lufthansa's rules I could get $550.00 USD and rebook my own return flight/have that applied to a flight's cost. The flights right now from Addis to Portland are between $2000.00 - 4000.00 USD on Lufthansa.

Is that legal? To fly someone across the world, cancel their return ticket leaving them stranded during a global pandemic, and hold the ransom, demanding more money to get them home?

I've been on hold with Lufthansa for hours now. But even when I've gotten through to them in the last few weeks they were not helpful. I think they hired a bunch of new people to handle all the extra calls, but the other day I had to explain to someone how flying against the clock worked. Is there any other way to get help?

.Matthew
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Matthew Bade
Hello,

I have a ticket from PDX - ADD. I got to Ethiopia a few months ago and things are fine, but I just got an email from Expedia saying my flight was canceled and I could apply for a refund. When I log in to my Lufthansa account I can see the departing flight in February, but no record of the return flight - it looks like I booked a one way.

I called Expedia and they said due to Lufthansa's rules I could get $550.00 USD and rebook my own return flight/have that applied to a flight's cost. The flights right now from Addis to Portland are between $2000.00 - 4000.00 USD on Lufthansa.

Is that legal? To fly someone across the world, cancel their return ticket leaving them stranded during a global pandemic, and hold the ransom, demanding more money to get them home?

I've been on hold with Lufthansa for hours now. But even when I've gotten through to them in the last few weeks they were not helpful. I think they hired a bunch of new people to handle all the extra calls, but the other day I had to explain to someone how flying against the clock worked. Is there any other way to get help?

.Matthew
When was your flight supposed to return? Original cost of RT flight?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Expedia is your agent and has to find you an alternative, if no Lufthansa flight is available, they are allowed to arrange an alternative on a *A carrier like ET and UA.

Rules are listed here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_143775.pdf
irishguy28, TBD and Granite64 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:50 am
Original Poster

The flight was on July 22nd. I think the original ticket was $1088 USD. So they're trying to offer me half but that's useless.

Oliver,

There are plenty of Lufthansa flights, but Expedia isn't offering to rebook. They said that they are following Lufthansa's rules and right now that means offering a refund for the remaining amount or waiving the rebooking fee (though I am then responsible for the fare difference of $1500- $3500 USD).

But I guess I'll try reading them the document you linked.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 6, 2020 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The flight was on July 22nd. I think the original ticket was $1088 USD. So they're trying to offer me half but that's useless.
Certainly don’t refund it. Hopefully they will be obligated to rebook you.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50% of what you paid is in some ways not unreasonable, but do not accept it. You have several weeks yet. EC 261 may apply (other will know)
Do you want to return to USA about July 22? (any airport would do)
Have you looked at other airlines, including considering any Covid-19 transit issues. Qatar QR may be an option
Flights will be/maybe different in ~6 weeks time. The situation is changing day by day
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:07 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Matthew Bade. I hope you resolve your current difficulty and stick around in better times.

[...] email from Expedia saying my flight was canceled and I could apply for a refund.
Just to reiterate: do not do anything that amounts to applying for a refund and abandoning your return ticket. As oliver2002 says, Expedia should work with you to find an acceptable alternative. Unfortunately that doesn't mean the person you speak to will be helpful or well trained.

A quick search shows availability on your date for under $1,000 one way, with TK via IST to SFO and then UA, so it might help to point the Expedia agent in that direction -- assuming you'd be allowed to transit at IST.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Mwenenzi,

It's very unreasonable. I don't have $3500 in my bank account.

I want to return to PDX. I had already been trying to change my ticket to an earlier date so I don't really care when the flight is. I understand that I can wait for more information but this effects visas and other travels I have. I want what I already paid for which is to go home.

I'm not sure what you mean by other airlines and Covid-19 transit issues. Repatriation flights? Those cost thousands of dollars and get you to NY, LAX is you're lucky.

IMH,

Yea I'm back on hold with Expedia now.

I've seen the flights through Turkey but they're not allowed to fly to the States right now and even though its a while away I'm trying to avoid being stranded somewhere else (currently stuck in Zanzibar).

Thanks
BearX220 and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 6, 2020 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
They must rebook you as on your original ticket. You are not forced to accept a refund or a voucher. Recent guidelines and a court injunction have made this clear. Unfortunately for you, that injunction only applies to Germany but LH were told each incidence of not rebooking a passenger for free when a flight was cancelled would result in a €250,000 fine. If Lufthansa have no flights then they must rebook you on another carrier.

https://www.rechteindeutig.de/luftha...ung-verlangen/ (German only)

It's not easy having to deal with Expedia, but they should also have trained staff that know what your rights are. After all, this will also not cost Expedia any money, Lufthansa are liable.

In fact, Lufthansa having cancelled your original flight might help you. You can now request to be rebooked on another date more convenient to you.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OP is out of messages for today, so he may want to edit a previous message with further info. First of all, do not cancel the ticket and or apply for a refund. I would be speaking with LH to try and find an alternative routing solution for you, because dealing with Expedia will not be very easy.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
50% of what you paid is in some ways not unreasonable
It is completely unreasonable; the OP wants his contract to be honoured and to be brought home at the price that Expedia originally decided was appropriate for such carriage; rebooking options exist, and the airline allows rebooking.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LH cancelled the ADD service?

If LH cancelled the flight(s), requesting to rebooked to a travel date on/about your original travel date should not trigger any up-fare/add. fare to be paid, even if you have to get rebooked to ET to FRA (as you might know ET has a very extensive network out of ADD).

Anyway, you need to deal with Expedia. Exp may have to contact LH for advice on how to rebook.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
LH cancelled the ADD service?

If LH cancelled the flight(s), requesting to rebooked to a travel date on/about your original travel date should not trigger any up-fare/add. fare to be paid, even if you have to get rebooked to ET to FRA (as you might know ET has a very extensive network out of ADD).

Anyway, you need to deal with Expedia. Exp may have to contact LH for advice on how to rebook.
LH may tell him on or about the original travel date but the law is that the replacement travel can be at the passengers convenience, as do Lufthansa's own Covid guidelines.
Dave_C and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've never been sure of how ticketing responsibilities work.

But isn't there something about the carrier taking over "ownership" of the ticket once the trip has started?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But isn't there something about the carrier taking over "ownership" of the ticket once the trip has started?
A flight coupon goes into airport control status "A" at a predetermined time before the flight. But for each direction outbound/inbound separately. If you want to change/rebook an itinerary in the middle of a trip, you have to do this via the channel you bough the ticket through.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.