LH hand baggage durina corona - still 1+1, or now just 1 only?

Old May 22, 20, 9:32 am
Original Poster

LH hand baggage durina corona - still 1+1, or now just 1 only?

I thought that at some point in the past month or so I had read something from Lufthansa saying that only one hand baggage (for normal economy fares, European domestic intra-Schengen flights) would be allowed - temporarily NOT allowing the customary "second smaller personal item".
On the LH webpage as of today, the customary second smaller personal item DOES still appear to be included.
Can anyone comment from having traveled on Lufthansa in the past few weeks of "corona times" what LH are really doing about this?
thanks.
Old May 22, 20, 9:48 am

Programs: Ex SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Saphire, Hyatt Gold, SPG, MELIA Platinum
[QUOTE=libove;32395528]I thought that at some point in the past month or so I had read something from Lufthansa saying that only one hand baggage (for normal economy fares, European dQUOTE]
As I could read Lufthansa allows only one piece of hand luggage up to 8kg (not 2) for all classes and fares. You are now offered a free check in of that hand bag (has to be within hand luggage limit) in order to have easier boarding procedure
This rule applies until further notice.
Old May 22, 20, 12:38 pm

The information is available on the website of LH, under "Change of hand luggage rules": https://www.lufthansa.com/at/en/flig...ion-1294756733
Old Yesterday, 2:38 am
Original Poster

So, one "piece", or one "normal sized 8kg piece (+personal item)"?

Thank you Michael. I wish that the airlines could learn to write clearly. LH writes:
In addition, one of the main features of the new regulation is to limit the amount of hand luggage to one piece only. While Lufthansa allows up to 2 pieces of hand luggage depending on class of travel, as well as one personal item, we support this measure and kindly ask you to only take one piece of hand luggage into the cabin.
So, one (main 8kg) piece of hand luggage (plus a personal item)? Or one "piece" (no matter the category)?
It's so easy to write clearly, and yet they keep failing to do so.
In the decade+ when I worked in the airline industry, we understood that the thing travelers hated above all was _uncertainty_, and, yet...

The safe (if inconvenient, and frankly I don't remotely understand how this helps protect health) assumption is "one physical thing" (no +personal item), and I'll go on that basis, but it's just unacceptable the way they fail to clearly convey this, and that the message isn't in every place on their official website where hand baggage is discussed.

Thanks again,
regards,
-Jay

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
The information is available on the website of LH, under "Change of hand luggage rules": https://www.lufthansa.com/at/en/flig...ion-1294756733
cad-spe likes this.
Old Yesterday, 5:06 am

Jay, that is my understanding as well - one and one only, irrespective of type. If your flight originates in Germany, this is how much you will be allowed to get through security, as the official statement from the Bundespolizei says: "Bringen Sie bitte nur ein Handgepäckstück zur Kontrolle mit!" (i.e. only one piece of hand luggage).
Old Yesterday, 5:58 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by libove View Post
Thank you Michael. I wish that the airlines could learn to write clearly. LH writes: (snip)

The safe (if inconvenient, and frankly I don't remotely understand how this helps protect health) assumption is "one physical thing" (no +personal item), and I'll go on that basis,
Avoiding the question of a German State Airline's inability to translate their German written policy into concise English and going to the other question of protecting health.....

I suspect that LH wants to be able to get passengers into their planes and seated in as rapid a manner as possible to avoid people commingling inside the plane.
If fewer passengers are placing smaller items above them prior to seating, thereby making the seating process less complicated and therefore faster, then they have accomplished their goal by limiting the size and number of items allowed on board. I suspect that this policy could be bundled with rear to front boarding as well.

Whether this has any actual benefit on the ability to avoid infection by transmission is a debatable point, but imo, anything that decreases viral transmission (masks, spacing and decreasing time in crowded environments) is probably a good thing.
Old Yesterday, 6:20 am

Programs: Ex SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Saphire, Hyatt Gold, SPG, MELIA Platinum
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Avoiding the question of a German State Airline's inability to translate their German written policy into concise English and going to the other question of protecting health.....

I suspect that LH wants to be able to get passengers into their planes and seated in as rapid a manner as possible to avoid people commingling inside the plane.
If fewer passengers are placing smaller items above them prior to seating, thereby making the seating process less complicated and therefore faster, then they have accomplished their goal by limiting the size and number of items allowed on board. I suspect that this policy could be bundled with rear to front boarding as well.

Whether this has any actual benefit on the ability to avoid infection by transmission is a debatable point, but imo, anything that decreases viral transmission (masks, spacing and decreasing time in crowded environments) is probably a good thing.
For speedy boarding, the best thing Lh could do is boarding by rows. That would allow that pax don't crawl above each other and would stop mixing too many people at the same time. LH hasn't done this until now. For example KLM boarded by rows since 2013 and they took only 11min to board the full capacity of 739 which is 191 people.
In my opinion the good boarding process would be:
1. Wchr and babies
2. Rows 25-35 or beyond
3. Rows 15- 25
3. Eco up to 15
4. Hon, Sen (normally seated between 5 and 10
5. Business
Old Yesterday, 6:39 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle *, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo View Post
For speedy boarding, the best thing Lh could do is boarding by rows. That would allow that pax don't crawl above each other and would stop mixing too many people at the same time. LH hasn't done this until now. For example KLM boarded by rows since 2013 and they took only 11min to board the full capacity of 739 which is 191 people.
In my opinion the good boarding process would be:
1. Wchr and babies
2. Rows 25-35 or beyond
3. Rows 15- 25
3. Eco up to 15
4. Hon, Sen (normally seated between 5 and 10
5. Business
Wrong! HON/SEN are normally seated in rows 1-2.

Actually the current (at least preCovid) rapid boarding policy is also very efficient:
1.Window seats
2.Middle seats
3.Aisle seats

HON/SEN with Business class have pre boarding.
HON on several stations pre-pre-boarding.
(that is not usually case in FRA, but during my last intra-EU flight from FRA boarding they hold normal boardimg until car bought me to gate-position aircraft and I was on my 1A. Only then they told that Hon is on board, lets start boarding. Nice.)
Old Yesterday, 7:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Raul_R View Post
Wrong! HON/SEN are normally seated in rows 1-2.

Actually the current (at least preCovid) rapid boarding policy is also very efficient:
1.Window seats
2.Middle seats
3.Aisle seats

HON/SEN with Business class have pre boarding.
HON on several stations pre-pre-boarding.
(that is not usually case in FRA, but during my last intra-EU flight from FRA boarding they hold normal boardimg until car bought me to gate-position aircraft and I was on my 1A. Only then they told that Hon is on board, lets start boarding. Nice.)
In this day of Covid-19, I, as an elite, want to be the last to board (presuming that there is overhead space for me) and not the first. If I am seated up front, I don't want the bulk of the passengers to pass by me while I am sitting and have the potential to be bombarded by viral infected droplets from some asymptomatic carrier headed towards the back of the plane.

By limiting carry-ons, overhead space is not compromised and all should be able to fit their single 8 kg or less item either above them or under the seat in front of them. This policy will ensure that as a business class passenger on LH, I can board last and still put my personal item above me.

As I wrote previously, the less time in a crowded environment and less commingling the better from a health perspective
cad-spe likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: