Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long transit at FRA during covid19

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Long transit at FRA during covid19

I'm due to fly from BKK to HEL via FRA in LH J mid-June as it seems to be pretty much the only way to get to HEL on a single ticket next month. The problem is there's a +8h layover at FRA after the long haul. I read that all LH lounges are closed but are there any other lounges (I have Priority Pass) operating currently at FRA? Are there any other services such as cafes or eateries open airside? Would be looking to take a shower and later on to have something to eat and a drink or two along with a decent place to work.

Also how is the inflight catering in lounhaul J these days?

I'm a Finnish citizen travelling to see my wife for the first time in +3 months so I would say this classifies as essential travel. I'm not expecting to actually enjoy myself on this trip but would like know what I'm in for.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
All LH lounges are closed, and there is no PP in the LH terminal(s). I suspect pretty much everything else will be shut, but of course things may open up again by then. Check again about a week before you travel, but I think a shower is a very long shot.
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is nothing open airside except for two stores. You could book a day room at the Sheraton, Hilton or HGI that are connected to T1.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I saw some cafes/food places open outside Z13, as well as food stalls. Shower is probably a no-go, but not an issue to get a quick bite from what I could tell. Whether that bite will be satisfying is another question entirely.
AnttiV and af fp like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is nothing open airside except for two stores. You could book a day room at the Sheraton, Hilton or HGI that are connected to T1.
Thanks, I will definitely do that if possible. Just have to check if they will let me in the country while in transit.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:24 am
Suspended

Until at least 15 June you would not be able to enter the country if you are not a German/EU national or permanent resident.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
OP is Finnish citizen. He has to enter Schengen in FRA anyways to get to the connecting flight to HEL. And from there, I don't think anything would stop him from going landside, since the "border controls" for intra-Schengen flights are handled directly upon arrival at the gates. Could be wrong of course, but I don't see any issues with the hotel option.
cln likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nini_su
OP is Finnish citizen. He has to enter Schengen in FRA anyways to get to the connecting flight to HEL. And from there, I don't think anything would stop him from going landside, since the "border controls" for intra-Schengen flights are handled directly upon arrival at the gates. Could be wrong of course, but I don't see any issues with the hotel option.
Yes, I think you are correct.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Thanks, I will definitely do that if possible. Just have to check if they will let me in the country while in transit.
You can walk out of FRA once you have cleared immigration. To book the day room just go to their website and enter the same date for arrival and departure.
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
I wonder though if by the time OP flies, (some) lounges might already be open again. I know LHG is bleeding money right now, so they'll try to cut all non-essential costs, but if they're slowly rebooting their flight network starting June 1, demand for lounges should also come back up. Maybe that's just wishful thinking though, since I'll be transiting FRA on June 7 myself (albeit only for 1:40h, so it's not too bad after all).
Old May 21, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Does anyone know if EU/EEA citizens (non-German though) could enter Germany for 12 hours if they can prove that they have a connecting flight and will just stay at an airport hotel?

travel date is JUN-5
Old May 21, 2020, 3:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
Does anyone know if EU/EEA citizens (non-German though) could enter Germany for 12 hours if they can prove that they have a connecting flight and will just stay at an airport hotel?

travel date is JUN-5
Details matter, but it would appear that this will be up to the Bundespolizei on arrival. Or you may have trouble getting on the first flight. Is it a single ticket, for example? Here is the official version:

Germany introduced travel restrictions for entries from outside the Schengen area on 17 March 2020. They were last prolonged on 14 May 2020, based on an EU recommendation. All corresponding entries from non-EU-citizens and citizens of non-Schengen states by plane or ship will be affected. Entry will be possible for German citizens.

Citizens of EU member states and their families, as well as citizens of the United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland and their families are also allowed to travel through Germany to reach their home country if no other travel connection is possible. They will also be allowed to enter if their home or legal residence is in Germany. Other people may be refused entry if they cannot provide proof of urgent reasons for their entry. Please refer to the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community for details.
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus
Old May 24, 2020, 1:47 pm

Somebody on twitter had a similar question, and one of the answer was the in terminal hotel:

Old May 28, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by AnttiV
I'm due to fly from BKK to HEL via FRA in LH J mid-June as it seems to be pretty much the only way to get to HEL on a single ticket next month. The problem is there's a +8h layover at FRA after the long haul. I read that all LH lounges are closed but are there any other lounges (I have Priority Pass) operating currently at FRA? Are there any other services such as cafes or eateries open airside? Would be looking to take a shower and later on to have something to eat and a drink or two along with a decent place to work.

Also how is the inflight catering in lounhaul J these days?

I'm a Finnish citizen travelling to see my wife for the first time in +3 months so I would say this classifies as essential travel. I'm not expecting to actually enjoy myself on this trip but would like know what I'm in for.
One thing less to worry about.
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounge-news
AnttiV, nini_su, cesco.g and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.