Flight status show active but practically won’t operate

Old May 12, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Flight status show active but practically won’t operate

I booked a flight 10 days ago for mid of June.
First portion: CHICAGO ORD to layover in Vienna VIE then Amman AMM on Austrian airlines
Second portion: AMM to layover in Frankfurt FRA then ORD on Lufthansa

Although flight status show active, per many websites neither Lufthansa/Austrian would start to operate from/to US by mid of June.

so what to do now? PS: I booked though United website but you know all depends if LH/AU fly at all
Old May 12, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle *, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
I booked a flight 10 days ago for mid of June.
First portion: CHICAGO ORD to layover in Vienna VIE then Amman AMM on Austrian airlines
Second portion: AMM to layover in Frankfurt FRA then ORD on Lufthansa

Although flight status show active, per many websites neither Lufthansa/Austrian would start to operate from/to US by mid of June.

so what to do now? PS: I booked though United website but you know all depends if LH/AU fly at all
Lufhansa do operate FRA-ORD even now (LH430)
why they should stop it in June?
Old May 12, 20, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is it that you want? Do you want a refund, a credit, to reschedule or reroute? Without that information, it is tough to provide good advicee.

If you know what LH is doing that far away, you know more than LH! Don't presume that LH will cancel.
Old May 12, 20, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What is it that you want? Do you want a refund, a credit, to reschedule or reroute? Without that information, it is tough to provide good advicee.

If you know what LH is doing that far away, you know more than LH! Don't presume that LH will cancel.
I just want to fly. But fear Austrian and/or LH are canceled already but don’t show on flight schedule status yet...because many reports said that Austrian airlines is grounded until late June or even later...I just want to fly and avoid the hassle...but seems airlines are dishonest by still accepting booking when they know they won’t fly
Old May 12, 20, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Forget about what you read. Check on your specific flights for your specific dates. That is all that matters. If they are flying, you are all set until something changes. If either or both are not, you will need to work with the ticketing carrier or yoru travel agent to refund or reroute. Double-check that your citizenship & residency will permit this trip and also whether there will be any quarantine issues. Those, of course, may change at any point.
Old May 12, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

You might want to monitor this site:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old May 12, 20, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
You might want to monitor this site:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Very helpful information! Thanks for the link!
Old May 14, 20, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Austrian Airlines has decided to extend the suspension of regular flight operations for a further week, from 31 May to 7 June. A resumption of service in June is being considered.

It keeps happening...this is what scares me...my flight is just a week from 6/7...if they are not sure about when to resume, they shouldn’t have had stuff available to book
Old May 14, 20, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess the "good news" is that they extended it only week.
Old May 14, 20, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Nobody is sure of any schedule these days. Certainly not that far out. Immigration restrictions, quarantine requirements, availability of hotels and other services, all factor into whether there will be passengers. While there are no prohibitions on the flights themselves, the practicalities are that various orders impact how many willing passengers there are. Until the Covid issues are settled, I don't see long-term air schedules returning to a settled state.
Old May 16, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Indeed. I would not book anything more than 7 days ahead at the moment.

I have been looking at MUC-FAO as I need to get to our home there and as of 3 days ago LH was showing options starting June 1st. Now, those options are gone. It is of course no coincidence that these flights are being cancelled at around 16 days out since the EU261 threshold for compensation starts at 14 days out. I have no intention of giving LH money for a ticket I cannot fly just get get problems changing or refunding it.
Old May 16, 20, 6:23 am
Suspended

Bear in mind that according to EC Guidance, compensation for cancellations is no longer, whether 14 days out or not. The EC has reaffirmed the right to a reimbursement (refund) and made quite clear that there will not be any compensation for cancellations and associated schedule changes.
Old May 16, 20, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bear in mind that according to EC Guidance, compensation for cancellations is no longer, whether 14 days out or not. The EC has reaffirmed the right to a reimbursement (refund) and made quite clear that there will not be any compensation for cancellations and associated schedule changes.
Happy that I booked via United then...Although all flights are on Austrian/LH metal but booking was via United so DOT rules apply.
Old May 16, 20, 10:47 am
Suspended

DOT rules have nothing to do with which carrier booked them. DOT rules apply to all tickets departing the US, whether a US or a non-US carrier. But, US rules are no different than EU rules as regards refunds. E.g., if the flight is cancelled or substantially changed, you may have a refund. DOT does not provide for compensation within 14 days at anytime.
Old May 17, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Happy that I booked via United then...Although all flights are on Austrian/LH metal but booking was via United so DOT rules apply.
I don't think that is much better. If you booked through United (and assuming non-refundable tix), what will likely happen after LH cancels a flight is that UA will try to reschedule you on other flights and claim you are not eligible for a refund unless there is a schedule change of more than six hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: