Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[SCANDAL] Lufthansa do not refund and reject CC chargeback!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I didn’t say that. I said that Amex would likely have denied your chargeback once LH told them you were *offered* a voucher.

Not to get personal, but if you can’t afford to be without that money you shouldn’t have spent it in the first place. Refunds with airlines can take weeks even in normal times. These are not normal times and the infrastructure is simply not there to refund you immediately. That you were given the runaround is of course very poor customer service.
Bingo. Precisely why you don't spend a months' paycheck on an airline ticket unless independently wealthy. As the Germans say, "es macht kein Sinn."
Old May 11, 2020, 12:46 pm

Also, to add to this thread, all credit card companies other than AMEX are pretty bad with chargebacks. Every issuer but AMEX is very deferential to the merchant. AMEX is the only one that's slightly less deferential to merchants, which is why merchants hate AMEX (aside from the higher interchange %, obviously).

Long story short, if you're going to do chargebacks, use AMEX. If not, not worth it to chargeback. I've never won a chargeback with any of my other credit cards. Who on earth uses a Revolut card to buy a first class airline ticket???? Never, ever, ever, ever use a debit card (or its equivalent) for a charge that you can use your credit card for.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by sophialite
Also, to add to this thread, all credit card companies other than AMEX are pretty bad with chargebacks. Every issuer but AMEX is very deferential to the merchant. AMEX is the only one that's slightly less deferential to merchants, which is why merchants hate AMEX (aside from the higher interchange %, obviously).

Long story short, if you're going to do chargebacks, use AMEX. If not, not worth it to chargeback. I've never won a chargeback with any of my other credit cards. Who on earth uses a Revolut card to buy a first class airline ticket???? Never, ever, ever, ever use a debit card (or its equivalent) for a charge that you can use your credit card for.
In my case I had to use Revolut because my limit on Amex is pretty low (4.000€) because I have a pretty low income and it take 2 days for the money to arrive there when I make a payment to Amex so when the KBP First Class Deal showed up I only had like 1200€ to use on Amex and I didn't want to miss out on the stunning price, therefore I had to use Revolut. Never again tho.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
LH have confirmed a refund THREE times, as I keep reaching out to them when the $ doesn't arrive. I've been waiting more than two months. They tell me it's in the queue waiting to be processed. I am getting really sick of this. I have no intention of giving them an interest free loan for 1/4 of the year.
Only 2 months and three times? I am at 3 months in 6 days and promised money within a week like 5-6 times?
Just forget about your money. In the near future, as I said.
I contacted the 'small courts' in my country to proceed now. If they can help, good. If not - then I don't know what to do.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:58 pm

In my case I had to use Revolut because my limit on Amex is pretty low (4.000€) because I have a pretty low income and it take 2 days for the money to arrive there when I make a payment to Amex so when the KBP First Class Deal showed up I only had like 1200€ to use on Amex and I didn't want to miss out on the stunning price, therefore I had to use Revolut. Never again tho.
Friendly advice: if you don’t have the credit line to support it, you probably can’t afford it. I have over a million in credit and touch maybe 5% of it in a bad month. Usually a lot less.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:00 pm

BTW I have two paid F tix with LX. All flights already cancelled. Told LX to hold off on the refund. Don’t need the money now and will likely need the value for another ticket later on, so no need to bother.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt
BTW I have two paid F tix with LX. All flights already cancelled. Told LX to hold off on the refund. Don’t need the money now and will likely need the value for another ticket later on, so no need to bother.
Friendly advice: if you don’t have the credit line to support it, you probably can’t afford it. I have over a million in credit and touch maybe 5% of it in a bad month. Usually a lot less.
Yes, we get it. You are richer than me and everyone else here. Congraulations.
If you are so rich, you can easily donate the 2k+€ Lufthansa owe me. That's what, 1 minute salary for you? Since you seem to be close to Bill Gates himself.

I really like Amex, and I don't mind having a low credit there. I just need to pay from my bank to Amex quite a lot but it works.
But as the deal went up on the First Class deal I had the same day used my Amex for another expensive thing. Usually I always have 3-4.000€ free to use on Amex.

I can afford it and don't worry about me. But I don't see why Lufthansa uses me and many else as their own personal bank.
It's frustrating and frankly disgusting imo.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
and this is relevant why apart from the reproductive organ size comparison ?
IAN-UK, cbourl, YuropFlyer and 5 others like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz
Yes, we get it. You are richer than me and everyone else here. Congraulations.
If you are so rich, you can easily donate the 2k+€ Lufthansa owe me. That's what, 1 minute salary for you? Since you seem to be close to Bill Gates himself.

I really like Amex, and I don't mind having a low credit there. I just need to pay from my bank to Amex quite a lot but it works.
But as the deal went up on the First Class deal I had the same day used my Amex for another expensive thing. Usually I always have 3-4.000€ free to use on Amex.

I can afford it and don't worry about me. But I don't see why Lufthansa uses me and many else as their own personal bank.
It's frustrating and frankly disgusting imo.
I’m definitely not richer than everyone here. But I got to where I am from good financial management. Hoping to impart that wisdom.

sadly you had to learn it the hard way. Hope you find a way to get your money back *shrug*

hope you also learned a lesson for the future.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kataskopos
and this is relevant why apart from the reproductive organ size comparison ?
wait you think showing credit limits is a point of bragging? credit is nothing. i had $250k in aggregate credit when I had a negative net worth. $1m in credit is just 1m different ways you can financially screw yourself if you don’t use it properly.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I didn’t say that. I said that Amex would likely have denied your chargeback once LH told them you were *offered* a voucher.
Really? If you're offered a voucher and you reject it and they confirm a refund to you but then don't process the refund, why wouldn't such a chargeback be successful?

I've initiated chargebacks against every airline that I was never to have flown in April for a trip and that hasn't refunded me, sadly several with Revolut as well indeed (though much smaller sums than what is being discussed here). I hope I have not shot myself in the foot or anything like that.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Really? If you're offered a voucher and you reject it and they confirm a refund to you but then don't process the refund, why wouldn't such a chargeback be successful?

I've initiated chargebacks against every airline that I was never to have flown in April for a trip and that hasn't refunded me, sadly several with Revolut as well indeed (though much smaller sums than what is being discussed here). I hope I have not shot myself in the foot or anything like that.
Ask Amex. There have been a number of reports in these here threads.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:54 pm

I had no issue getting AMEX to process charge backs for LH and SK tickets. I bought a flight for money, and if they cancel it, they have to send back money. Real money, not any vouchers. As long as I do not accept accepting any vouchers, they owe me money and have not delivered their service or product purchased. Which means, AMEX will process the charge back. Unless regulation changes, but so far it is not happening.

And no, I do not need the money right away. But airlines are business which are especially nasty when it comes to rules if they are in their favor... try having that typo in your name corrected? Good look! Once I bought a ticket via the SK for business app and somehow some update to the backend changed the pax gender in the traveler profile from male to female. Called in to have Mrs fassy changed to Mr. fassy. Not a chance! Had to cancel the ticket. So, as long as airlines behave that way, I will also stick to the rules.

Last edited by fassy; May 11, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Old May 11, 2020, 2:58 pm

That was my understanding too. Have chargebacks on 3 different cards all pending, hopefully they will all go ok. All are from companies that had promised refunds, of which I have proof.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that OP did not use a credit card and thus discussions of the credit card chargeback process is irrelevant. He is stuck with the limited process afforded him and LH knows exactly what that is.

Those with major US and UK credit cards, including Amex, seem to have a fairly easy go of chargeback success when:
1. Their flight was cancelled by the carrier.
2. The flight was on an EU carrier or a non-EU carrier departing from the EU or on a flight to or from the US.
3. The passenger requested a refund.
4. The refund was denied or the carrier did not respond.
5. The passenger raised a chargeback with his credit card issuer and supplied complete documentation, e.g. e-ticket receipt, notice of cancellation, request for refund, and response (or not) from carrier.

There are no general answers and passenger remedies vary by jurisdiction both as to air carrier and card issuer (bank).
Old May 11, 2020, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I cancelled because of Covid-19 situation.
This is the key sentence. The passenger cancelled, not Lufthansa.

One was entitled to a full refund on my dates.
Can you prove it?

This deserves an own thread in my opinion! Very important information!
There are hundred of threads on FT regarding chargebacks. In most of the cases, the airline has cancelled.
There is no scandal with your story.

Hope they write a story about Lufthansa and how they treat their F passengers because this is by far the worst customer service I have had ever.
You have elected to cancel your F ticket.

1. February 17 - I call Lufthansa, ask for a full refund for my trip to China. Agent confirms multiple times. You will get a full refund within 7-10 days maximum.
Why did you cancel an April ticket already in February?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.