Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about how to get money back from Austrian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 1:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Expedia is your agent and they will take care of your refund. You writing/suing everyone else and their dog will not expedite that process.
MichaelA380 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Chargebacks in this situation are somewhat anti-social, as they create additional work/cost for your bank, the merchant bank and Expedia. Of course the airlines behaviour at the moment could also be considered anti-social, still two wrongs don't make a right.
This is spot on! - no doubt that all these chargeback, complaints etc will complicate matters and delay the refund processing substantially for all of us - should be condemned! (or to be more realistic the credit card issuer should stop allowing these chargebacks and refer the traveller to wait it out with an option to continue the chargeback has the refund not been received within say 3-4 months). Just my two cents on this...
Old May 11, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are many reports of refunds taking 2-4 months, so I think you are going to have to sit tight for a while.
I requested mine on 3 April and am still waiting. Took ten days just to get an acknowledgement of the request.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Make this simple. You chose to use Expedia as your agent. Therefore, you will need to deal with Expedia. Expedia's relationship with OS is irrelevant and exclusively between Expedia and OS.

1. Make a request -- in writing -- for a refund.
2. Wait 7 days. If a refund has not been initiated, then initiate a chargeback.
3. With your chargeback, supply a copy of your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation, your request for a refund and any response granting the refund (or a note that you have not heard back).

If you make this complete and leave out the extraneous issues, you will find this to be speedy and favorable resolution. This is simply a business transaction between you & Expedia. If you think that the customer service was lacking, that is a separate complaint or you would do well not to book with Expedia again.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: delta skymiles, BAEC
Is Austrian Airlines sending refunds?

I haven’t seen any mention here about refunds from Austrian Airlines.

They cancelled my flight SPU -VIE and I requested a refund on April 19th.

I haven’t heard anything. Has anyone been getting refunds?

Thank you .
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:45 pm

Would be interested to hear about this too. Been waiting on a refund from a canceled US-VIE-ATH ticket, but not as long as you have. They seem to be ignoring the refund timing requirements of EU 261.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Had a flight cancelled in late March. Refund promised but not come yet. When I call they tell me it is delayed. Few weeks ago I received an email offering a voucher for fare plus 50 but telling me that if I did not want the voucher I will get refund. I now raised dispute with credit card. But compared to BA, their behaviour is certainly disgraceful!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Would be interested to hear about this too. Been waiting on a refund from a canceled US-VIE-ATH ticket, but not as long as you have. They seem to be ignoring the refund timing requirements of EU 261.
since your flight involves the US, they are also in violation of the US laws.

You can file file a complaint with the US DOT.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:06 am

I requested a refund on April 4 - two months ago. Still haven't seen it.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I requested a refund on April 4 - two months ago. Still haven't seen it.
Well, you can wait for a long long time for a cash refund. There'll be a point of time, when you will have forgotten it.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: SQ *G, UA *G, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smartytravel
since your flight involves the US, they are also in violation of the US laws.

You can file file a complaint with the US DOT.
how can we file a complaint to the US DOT? Is there any prerequisite like I can only complain after I have waited for 7 days since I requested for refund? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by volutes
how can we file a complaint to the US DOT? Is there any prerequisite like I can only complain after I have waited for 7 days since I requested for refund? Thanks in advance!
You can file a complaint to the DOT here. You need to wait 7 days because you have no grounds for a complaint before then.
volutes likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
I also find this a rather surprising rumour! I rather suspect that they want to spread out refunds as much as possible.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, you can wait for a long long time for a cash refund. There'll be a point of time, when you will have forgotten it.
It's over 800 Euro - I've got the booking and the email confirmation - I am not going to forget it.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by athome
How do you know all this? Do you have any proof? Do you have any sources?
Could you please explain the legal connection between Austrian and CS? Does he have the right to give orders to the operational business of Austrian?
Or are you just bsting? Facts are counting, not the number of posts repeating the same message!
There are several posts of you with the same negative attitude. Are you paid for it?
Which lease rates? LH is (still) owning the vast majority of their aircraft. As of 31-Dec-19 they were operating 763 aircraft, of which 657 were owned and 106 leased (Source: .https://investor-relations.lufthansa...cts/fleet.html)

By the way I got my money back after a couple of weeks. OK not after 7 days, but I assume that's acceptable taking into account the high number of refunds requested for which no department would be sized for.
I don't think he's getting paid for it. Many of us are waiting for refunds from Lufthansa Group airlines. I was personally waiting 2 months for a refund from Swiss and I forced it through only by credit card chargeback. Otherwise I was promised and promised but ignored. Maybe as an HON you were given "special" treatment, but personally Lufthansa Group will not see another single cent from me if I can possibly fly with another airline. And if I cannot, I will be booking the cheapest of cheap but using my *G status to visit their lounges and take extra baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.