Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
I am flying to SFO tomorrow and just rebooked from LH to UA. I am voting with my money. Finally we are free without facemasks!
Assuming you’re flying from Germany, you didn’t vote for anything since this has nothing to do with the airlines. Masks are required under German law for flights in and out of the country.
athome and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1
Assuming you’re flying from Germany, you didn’t vote for anything since this has nothing to do with the airlines. Masks are required under German law for flights in and out of the country.
no masks on united out of fra.
hugolover and vantage03 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and why should there be on UA. US aircraft, what jurisdiction does Germany have over that aircraft once the doors are closed?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes, and why should there be on UA. US aircraft, what jurisdiction does Germany have over that aircraft once the doors are closed?
Eh, it’s on German territory?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
The same jurisdiction that the US asserted over foreign aircraft flying to/from the country until a few days ago.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The same jurisdiction that the US asserted over foreign aircraft flying to/from the country until a few days ago.
Well, it didn't apply to LOT
andywaw likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:53 am

just confirmed with check in agent here at FRA. No face masks required on all UA flights to USA from FRA. Finally!
hugolover and theKrafty1tar like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
just confirmed with check in agent here at FRA. No face masks required on all UA flights to USA from FRA. Finally!
Seems German jurisdiction doesn't apply? LOL
rorschi likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
Originally Posted by athome
Based on my experience it was/is also in F strictly enforced. Even during sleep.
I don't know, if it changed in the last days.
I had a very different experience 4x F returns in 2020/2021 and apart from when standing up or talking to the flight attendants, outside of meal service, I was never bothered about wearing a mask. I was allowed to sleep on all flights with no mask.
Tomasz Pa likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Just because a law is not enforced, doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

Conversely, just because a law applies, does not mean it will be enforced. Germany could enforce UA to mandate masks and so could USA to LOT, but both decided not to.
DiamondMile and flyinghorse82 like this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Apr 28, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it a law though? And remember, just cos there is a law, doesn't mean it's legal. We have seen a lot of junk law during Covid.

I'm struggling to see that just cos a destination has a mask law, it applies on another state's aircraft. Laws don't seem to be applied in other ways?

For example, is it illegal for persons of LGBTQIA2K+ to embrace each other on RUH bound flights on say BA vs SV? By this logic, it certainly should be.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week on my FRA-CDG flight the Purser made the announcement “although masks aren’t required in Germany they are required on this flight”. I don’t remember how the mask requirement was worded for my ATL-FRA flight.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: M&M,M&B,AMC,HH
Last flight from ZRH with LX no mask required, Flight to FRA on LH mask still required.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: LH SEN *
i'm struggling to see that just cos a destination has a mask law, it applies on another state's aircraft.
+1
​​​​
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm struggling to see that just cos a destination has a mask law, it applies on another state's aircraft. Laws don't seem to be applied in other ways?
It's the same way as DOT rule apply to any ticket touching USA and EC261/2004 rules apply for any travel starting in the Community, even on foreign carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.