Covid19: LH Group makes face masks mandatory [and other checks]

Old Sep 21, 21, 8:37 pm
  #226  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 12,722
A little bit off subject but I don't think passengers enjoy the structured ( policed ) disembarkation process which is a total no sense.
Also, in FRA or MUC, many people doesn't even pay attention to social distancing at security queues, during boarding, at lounge entrances, etc...

The bottom part of the figure that oliver2002 shared with us looks like COVID marketing but nothing else.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 21, 21, 10:54 pm
  #227  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 293
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
A little bit off subject but I don't think passengers enjoy the structured ( policed ) disembarkation process which is a total no sense.
Also, in FRA or MUC, many people doesn't even pay attention to social distancing at security queues, during boarding, at lounge entrances, etc...

The bottom part of the figure that oliver2002 shared with us looks like COVID marketing but nothing else.
strongly disagree. If there is a single positive thing COVID-19 has caused, it would have to be orderly disembarkation by seat row. Less crowding, less stressful and from my perception not even slower.
In contrast to you I also find social distancing etiquette reasonably adhered to at German airports.
sw1x is offline  
Old Sep 21, 21, 11:17 pm
  #228  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 12,722
Originally Posted by sw1x View Post
strongly disagree. If there is a single positive thing COVID-19 has caused, it would have to be orderly disembarkation by seat row. Less crowding, less stressful and from my perception not even slower.
In contrast to you I also find social distancing etiquette reasonably adhered to at German airports.
For the disembarkation by row part, I am sorry that someone who is disturbed of the congestion at the aisle should be able to wait until the end of disembarkation. Sometimes, I prefer to be quick in order to wait less at immigration/passport control ( especially as a passport holder of a country which causes extra questioning at most major places ).

Also, in one of my experiences on a LH flight ( from MUC to AYT to be specific ) about 90% of the people stood up at the seatbelt signs have been turned off ( nothing surprising because of the demography ) but the action of the cabin crew was totally ridiculous to see - not opening the door until people stood down back to their seats and constantly reminder announcements for everyone to sit down followed by an announcement by the captain that deboarding by row is a German federal law because of COVID. I've also been told by a friend that on a flight from FRA to IST, the cabin crew shouted from the PA: "Even my 4 year old kid would understand when he is told to sit" which is totally ridiculous and nothing else than ego satisfaction.

I would partially agree with you that social distancing is pretty much more a habit at German airports compared to other countries but from what I see, it's not always enforced and LH doesn't do anything for it.

An example could be seen below:

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 21, 12:52 am
  #229  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 43,764
They ask the question in the post flight survey, people respond. If you indicate you didn't feel comfortable the survey goes into some detail. That 1/6th of pax are uncomfortable is (to me) a significant number.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 21, 1:37 am
  #230  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 10,424
I also find it quite nonsensical because everyone is jammed together anyway. And the attitude of the LH flight attendants is more often than not arrogant and belittling, which is unacceptable. It's amazing that we've reached this point and nobody is truly complaining about it.
FriendlyConfines likes this.
Concerto is offline  
Old Oct 22, 21, 2:20 am
  #231  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
For the disembarkation by row part, I am sorry that someone who is disturbed of the congestion at the aisle should be able to wait until the end of disembarkation. Sometimes, I prefer to be quick in order to wait less at immigration/passport control ( especially as a passport holder of a country which causes extra questioning at most major places ).

Also, in one of my experiences on a LH flight ( from MUC to AYT to be specific ) about 90% of the people stood up at the seatbelt signs have been turned off ( nothing surprising because of the demography ) but the action of the cabin crew was totally ridiculous to see - not opening the door until people stood down back to their seats and constantly reminder announcements for everyone to sit down followed by an announcement by the captain that deboarding by row is a German federal law because of COVID. I've also been told by a friend that on a flight from FRA to IST, the cabin crew shouted from the PA: "Even my 4 year old kid would understand when he is told to sit" which is totally ridiculous and nothing else than ego satisfaction.

I would partially agree with you that social distancing is pretty much more a habit at German airports compared to other countries but from what I see, it's not always enforced and LH doesn't do anything for it.

An example could be seen below:
It's a far drift off-topic, but I do have a few viewpoints to share.

The rules are clear enough. If one wants the leave the aircraft before others, there are seats available near the doors. One would, of course, have to plan perfectly for this, and be lucky, or choose a private flight.

I also want to leave the plane quickly for my own selfish reasons (including my foreign passport), but I've made the decision to chose public transport rather than a private car, boat, or flight, and that comes with compromises. This compromise shouldn't include having someone else's buttcheeks in my face because they've broken rules and want to leave the plane quickly just as I do.

In my recent experience, very few (not 90%, more like 3-4%) stood up to gather a carry-on and then took their seat again. Some cleverly set that carry-on in the aisle and I applaud them for it. It discouraged people from even thinking about trying to run up the aisle.

I can't say I always like the tone of the announcements explaining disembarkation, but when rules are already clear and explained multiple times, I forgive their ego satisfaction when their actions is clearly focused on altering the behavior of people who won't follow the clear rules because of their own egos. We're all important in our own way.
eag likes this.
Grog is offline  
Old Nov 2, 21, 12:27 am
  #232  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Disembarking planes during COVID

I just recently took my first international flight since COVID last month. Went from LAX-FRA-HEL and back. All the connecting flights, I had to disembark via stairs to load a bus to get to terminal. I recall in at least one of the flights, disembarking was in the back, so people in the back of the plane exited first.

Iím repeating the same exact trip now except on the way back I will be connecting in MUC instead of FRA.

Does anyone if the non-jumbo planes (eg A319/A320) arriving in MUC typically have a similar procedure that Iíve experienced in FRA and HEL and if you had to exit in the front or back of the plane?

I have a somewhat tight connection time and am nervous that upcoming weather issues could cause delays and make my connection time tighter ó Iím trying to plan ahead and want to select a seat that will allow me to try and disembark quicker.
juduon is offline  
Old Nov 2, 21, 12:33 am
  #233  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 43,764
MUC usually has a jetway for HEL arrivals. However the terminal is full, so some arrivals are bussed from an apron position. In either case it won't make a difference, the deplaning by rows doesn't really delay anyone compared to the usual 'lets get off this aircraft as if the plane is on fire' scrum.
Grog and worldclubber like this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 21, 4:50 am
  #234  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,254
Are you aware that deplaning by rows is supposed to be for pax safety due to deadly Covid than just to ensure a more pleasant process?

Its a mockery to deplane by rows onto buses because I am quite sure for an Airbus LH don't send 6 buses to ensure adequate social distancing. Only a moron could imagine that deplaning row-by-row to a crowded bus makes any sense.

Plus there are no HEPA filters on the bus and standing up is way more dangerous than sitting down.
chris63 and FriendlyConfines like this.
hugolover is offline  
Old Nov 5, 21, 3:59 pm
  #235  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Are you aware that deplaning by rows is supposed to be for pax safety due to deadly Covid than just to ensure a more pleasant process?

Its a mockery to deplane by rows onto buses because I am quite sure for an Airbus LH don't send 6 buses to ensure adequate social distancing. Only a moron could imagine that deplaning row-by-row to a crowded bus makes any sense.

Plus there are no HEPA filters on the bus and standing up is way more dangerous than sitting down.
The mockery is the packing of people like sardines into crowded buses, not the deplaning by rows. I hope this was the point you intended to make, because that's the one you've eloquently made.
chris63 likes this.
Grog is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 6:48 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,863
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Are you aware that deplaning by rows is supposed to be for pax safety due to deadly Covid than just to ensure a more pleasant process?

Its a mockery to deplane by rows onto buses because I am quite sure for an Airbus LH don't send 6 buses to ensure adequate social distancing. Only a moron could imagine that deplaning row-by-row to a crowded bus makes any sense.

Plus there are no HEPA filters on the bus and standing up is way more dangerous than sitting down.
I see your point and also find the procedure inconsistent when they pack buses. However, there is one difference between plane and bus: on the plane the masks have to be removed for eating and drinking, on the short bus trip we can protect ourselves by wearing a decent mask.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 8:39 am
  #237  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 6,766
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
The mockery is the packing of people like sardines into crowded buses, not the deplaning by rows. I hope this was the point you intended to make, because that's the one you've eloquently made.
Yes & itís very disappointing that FRAPORT & LH have not done more / enough to resolve this, there are so fewer flights & given some effort could have almost if not all flights connected to a jet bridge, I was bussed some Months back at the hight of the pandemic with more than half gate positions unoccupied
Grog and neuromancerLKLB like this.
chris63 is online now  
Old Nov 7, 21, 3:32 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Yes & it’s very disappointing that FRAPORT & LH have not done more / enough to resolve this, there are so fewer flights & given some effort could have almost if not all flights connected to a jet bridge, I was bussed some Months back at the hight of the pandemic with more than half gate positions unoccupied
For my most recent flight, we were pleased to receive a spot with a jet bridge, only to be deposited at the absolute most-distant gate possible on Concourse Z and then presented with four non-operational (and thus non-moving) walkways, one right after the other. And no luggage carts.

Feedback to FRAPORT & LH was answered with "we have no idea what happened, but they must have all been broken, otherwise they would have worked", but no follow-up from them confirming their hasty supposition.

We pay fees expressly for FRAPORT support, with LH not displaying much concern as to whether it's actually provided or not.
Grog is offline  
Old Nov 7, 21, 10:54 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 815
Flew MUC > MAN on Saturday (LH operated by Air Dolomiti); so it was a bus gate.

Cramming 80 passengers onto a bus makes a mockery of the Covid restrictions
Grog likes this.
Wickersley is offline  
Old Nov 8, 21, 12:05 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 6,766
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
For my most recent flight, we were pleased to receive a spot with a jet bridge, only to be deposited at the absolute most-distant gate possible on Concourse Z and then presented with four non-operational (and thus non-moving) walkways, one right after the other. And no luggage carts.

Feedback to FRAPORT & LH was answered with "we have no idea what happened, but they must have all been broken, otherwise they would have worked", but no follow-up from them confirming their hasty supposition.

We pay fees expressly for FRAPORT support, with LH not displaying much concern as to whether it's actually provided or not.
Yes, FRAPORT havenít demonstrated any thought for pax during the pandemic, like LH itís all been about them & saving costs
chris63 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread