Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So Lufthansa will be bailed out by the government.

Today I received the money owing by Lufthansa. Refund process initiated April 23, Money Refunded May 21. These are Revenue tickets, booked for the promo 2 can travel in Business and First class.
my refund initiated April 15, no money refunded so far. Was a C promo.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
my refund initiated April 15, no money refunded so far. Was a C promo.

Be patient, it'll come. You do have a confirmation from LH that your requested a refund? It was sent a Cancelation email by LH.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:26 am

Refund initiated over 7 weeks ago (31 March) - Economy Light within the E.U., normally non-refundable, however they guaranteed full refund under the coronavirus circumstances.

Called Lufthansa Customer Service today: They reassured there'll be full refund but couldn't say when the payment will be processed. Thus, I'll be just checking my credit card statement and get back to them in about 30 days. If not refunded by then, I'll consider triggering travel insurance and/or credit card chargeback processes. All we need is patience. And some liquidity.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So Lufthansa will be bailed out by the government.

Today I received the money owing by Lufthansa. Refund process initiated April 23, Money Refunded May 21. These are Revenue tickets, booked for the promo 2 can travel in Business and First class.
Nothing has been decided yet. The supervisory board will not meet today, and it is the only body capable of calling the extraordinary shareholders meeting. Expect this to take several more weeks.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Nothing has been decided yet. The supervisory board will not meet today, and it is the only body capable of calling the extraordinary shareholders meeting. Expect this to take several more weeks.

I don't expect Germany to let their national airline to disappear. When it comes to politics everything is possible.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ICARIS
Refund initiated over 7 weeks ago (31 March) - Economy Light within the E.U., normally non-refundable, however they guaranteed full refund under the coronavirus circumstances.

Called Lufthansa Customer Service today: They reassured there'll be full refund but couldn't say when the payment will be processed. Thus, I'll be just checking my credit card statement and get back to them in about 30 days. If not refunded by then, I'll consider triggering travel insurance and/or credit card chargeback processes. All we need is patience. And some liquidity.
Interesting, I had a domestic European reservation FRA-PMI which was submitted at the same time as my AMS-BKK flights but I have not received the refund. I am wondering if thats because I booked with a debit visa card.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:46 am

Got a cancellation and requested a refund for a Brussels Airlines ticket today. No timescale given by the agent on the phone.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
Been waiting two months to receive refund from SN via TA. Their argument: we will refund you as soon as the money is transferred to our accounts from SN...
Old May 25, 2020, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyvinci
Been waiting two months to receive refund from SN via TA. Their argument: we will refund you as soon as the money is transferred to our accounts from SN...
Which I would expect to be a couple of months.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:23 pm

1st of March booked a ticket.
​​​​​​Same day cancelled under 24h hour rule. Refund promised within one day.

Nothing. I think I called after a week and they said refund looks done. Honestly I forgot to check it again in May after checking a few times in April.

Today I received an email about flexibility and voucher etc. It says more or less I requested a refund, it is pending, and I should cancel the refund request against 50 Euro voucher.

It's a real joke. I wish I could avoid them forever. Unbelievably low business ethics. Blatant ignorance for the law. Now that the bailout so secured I have no understanding. I wish somebody took the time to evaluate criminal consequences of such management actions. It sure feels wrong to me.

At least I won't forget to use the ticket now. And probably they win their game in the end and I will go for the voucher. I have no time to fight.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by f4free
I wish I could avoid them forever. Unbelievably low business ethics. Blatant ignorance for the law. Now that the bailout so secured I have no understanding. I wish somebody took the time to evaluate criminal consequences of such management actions. It sure feels wrong to me.
Don't worry, there are law firms in Germany dedicated exclusively to suing Lufthansa. It's such a profitable business that they're very cheap to hire (they only charge about 100-200€ per case). Used it twice, won both times and got my money back without ever stepping in court since Lufthansa settles as soon as they hear the word "lawyer".
kai.lileboo likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It is a business decision by Carsten Spohr to not refund anything at the moment.
The Lufthansa Group is holding onto that money so they can effectively threaten their shareholders, the EU commission and the German government to accept a rescue plan, and receive as much as free money as possible without having to give anything (e.g. voting rights, board members, slots).
The threat revolves around the Schutzschirmverfahren (a kind of Chapter 11 bankcruptcy protection scheme in Germany). In order to start a Schutzschirmverfahren Lufthansa must have enough cash in their bank accounts.
That cash is largely sourced from not refunded tickets (where Lufthansa has cancelled the flights for).
Without that cash -> no Schutzschirmverfahren -> no Schutzschirmverfahren means the threat of a Schutzschirmverfahren is gone -> no favourable rescue package with free money!
Old May 26, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn
It is a business decision by Carsten Spohr to not refund anything at the moment.
The Lufthansa Group is holding onto that money so they can effectively threaten their shareholders, the EU commission and the German government to accept a rescue plan, and receive as much as free money as possible without having to give anything (e.g. voting rights, board members, slots).
The threat revolves around the Schutzschirmverfahren (a kind of Chapter 11 bankcruptcy protection scheme in Germany). In order to start a Schutzschirmverfahren Lufthansa must have enough cash in their bank accounts.
That cash is largely sourced from not refunded tickets (where Lufthansa has cancelled the flights for).
Without that cash -> no Schutzschirmverfahren -> no Schutzschirmverfahren means the threat of a Schutzschirmverfahren is gone -> no favourable rescue package with free money!
But with the cash AND the bailout funds, do they intend to refund people? Or are they going for the "20$ is 20$" even if it's illegal ?
Old May 26, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
The big issue is the lack of transparency and communication. Other airlines have done a better job setting expectations (or just have more cashflow on the matter). Twitter is full with desperate people asking what to do. SN keeps telling the public to phone their Service Center for a refund and can't provide a timeframe nor the status of your request.

They quickly removed the form on their website when it became clear they had to cancel all their flights back in March.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
But with the cash AND the bailout funds, do they intend to refund people? Or are they going for the "20$ is 20$" even if it's illegal ?
Well, there are simply no bailout funds. The bailout funds can only be paid out to Lufthansa, if both the EU commission, the German government (so both the center-right CDU/CSU and the center-left SPD), the Lufthansa management and the Lufthansa shareholders have found an agreement.
This may take another six weeks.
What happens once the bailout funds has been paid out -> the priority is to pay for new Airbus planes, safeguarding jobs ..... ticket refunds are very low in the list.

Hence, only with a court verdict, you have a realistic chance to receive the cash refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.