Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I can't conceive of a ramification. Especially when the law, EC 261/2004, is crystal clear.

This process is simply meant to discourage refund requests and funnel people into accepting a credit / rebooking / voucher because they grow tired of the push back.

The key to the successful chargeback is to document everything, keep copies, screenshots and the like and keep your chargeback request short & succinct. E.g., carrier cancelled flight, I requested a refund, more than 7 days have passed and the carrier has failed to initiate a refund as required by EC 261/2004. Less is more.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I just got my chargeback on LX F ticket reapplied as apparently LX sent their t&c to amex to support this. (little f....ers). I called amex, asked to reopen the dispute and sent them the eu261 interpretation by EC on 18 March 2020 in supporting documents.
So much for thinking about going for HON - The way they have treated me will have ramifications on my choices when this is over.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That revenue will surely be missed nuffy!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Andaz
I have been waiting since Mid-February. First Class Ticket. Still no money.
Opened a dispute case, but have to wait 48 days according to Mastercard rules.

I am sure Lufthansa will respond after 47 days and do something that will make me wait another 2 months.

I WILL NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE BOOK ANOTHER LUFTHANSA FLIGHT.
I don't care if it's free, if all other options are 5 times expensive.

Lufthansa are after all lies to me, totally dead. I hope they crash and burn eventually. (Not the planes, but the company)

For all other flight bookings I had, I now give them maximum 7 days. I don't care what they say.
Then after 7 days I open a dispute case with my credit card company instead, goes way quicker.

I recommend everyone to do this. Best case scenario is that you get money from your CC company, then when airlines get the thumbs out of their thieving a*es you might get a refund from the as well. It happened to me once, AA didn't refund for 1 month, applied for a dispute. Got money from CC company, then 3 months later I got money from AA again. Never heard again from anyone so thanks for that money.

Next recommendation is: Use American Express, the chargeback there is way faster than Visa (30 days) and MC (48 days).
I have learned my lesson now. Will only use Amex for large transactions.

Gosh, my heart is going to kill me. I have lost so many years mentally because of LH now.
Sadly I have more tickets in First Class booked with LH. Hope Covid-19 is around for another 5-6 months so I don't have to fly LH First anymore. I don't even want to.
I am in the same boat. I have been fed up with BA GGL and decided to move my spend to LH (as they actually fly to my places - eg BOG in F). I have done I think 4 F trips with other 3 planned in APR/MAY. All cancelled, and LX and to some part LH are terrible at handling this. BA have really been much much better and whilst flying LHR-DFW-BOG is inconvenient, it will be my preferred choice going forward. (I avoid IB like the plague
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:35 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I recommend everyone to do this. Best case scenario is that you get money from your CC company, then when airlines get the thumbs out of their thieving a*es you might get a refund from the as well. It happened to me once, AA didn't refund for 1 month, applied for a dispute. Got money from CC company, then 3 months later I got money from AA again. Never heard again from anyone so thanks for that money.
Excuse me, but that's morally questionable and possibly illegal and frankly in my view that makes you just as bad as the airlines.
Gnopps, cad-spe, hugolover and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I’ve cancelled a few, some are fully refundable, some are mileage as well, not even the miles been credited back to account ... it’s been about 5-6 weeks. In my case, I’m not urgently in need of the cash and miles, so, I will patiently wait and see; at the end of the day, I also don’t want to see any airlines going under. They are all very much running out of cash, I’m looking at this as I’m also trying to help them to stay afloat.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have been waiting since Mid-February. First Class Ticket. Still no money.
Opened a dispute case, but have to wait 48 days according to Mastercard rules.

I am sure Lufthansa will respond after 47 days and do something that will make me wait another 2 months.

I WILL NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE BOOK ANOTHER LUFTHANSA FLIGHT.
I don't care if it's free, if all other options are 5 times expensive.

Lufthansa are after all lies to me, totally dead. I hope they crash and burn eventually. (Not the planes, but the company)

For all other flight bookings I had, I now give them maximum 7 days. I don't care what they say.
Then after 7 days I open a dispute case with my credit card company instead, goes way quicker.

Next recommendation is: Use American Express, the chargeback there is way faster than Visa (30 days) and MC (48 days).
I have learned my lesson now. Will only use Amex for large transactions.

Gosh, my heart is going to kill me. I have lost so many years mentally because of LH now.
Sadly I have more tickets in First Class booked with LH. Hope Covid-19 is around for another 5-6 months so I don't have to fly LH First anymore. I don't even want to.
And you didn’t mention the double refund to your credit company? Ok...
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
If the girl/guy at the register didn't scan one of your items when shopping, would you let she or he know about it if you saw it or just 'walk away acting like nothing'? I know what 90-95% of the people would have done.
Sorry. I do it. So I can regard myself as the 5% morally correct people.

On the other side I do not understand why you complain that LH is not reimbursing you the money, they owe you. LH just behaves as you do. You and LH are just part of the 95% of morally incorrect people/companies.

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

Gnopps, MichaelA380 and Nick Art like this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:26 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Frankly I find it just a matter of basic human decency and morality to point out a missing item on a restaurant check or any other situation where based on somebody else's mistake you could gain monetary advantages.

Because it's wrong.

Call me a blind optimist if you will, but I furthermore very much doubt your numbers and believe there are quite a lot more people in the world that would not steal given the opportunity.
I'm sure there are countless of papers on this topic.
Regarding all of humanity to be similar to oneself in morality is dangerous. (whichever way it goes).

Yep, LH owes me money.

So therefore I should maybe go out on Ebay, sell my Macbook for 2.000€ and never ship it to the buyer.
Then after 2-3 months I will refund the buyer. Should be completely legal, right?
I will just blame Covid-19 that I couldn't send the Macbook.

And congratulations Mr Perfect. I assume you never drove over the speed limit as well, you never did anything morally bad? Yeah, keep telling yourself that lie.
One thing does not have to do with the other. We all agree that LH should reimburse you and it not doing so is wrong. We can very much criticise you and still agree with you on the fact that LH is in the wrong in this case.

Still, Lufthansa should not steal peoples money "to survive". The money issue is their problem.
Not the travelers problem.
Looking at the bigger picture one could argue that the purpose (LH survival and eventual refund of all the money) justified the means (in some cases illegally not doing all they can to process refunds) but that is a whole other discussion.

That does not give you any justification for self justice, as you regard keeping a double refund.
Not regarding your actions, or more the lack thereof, as at least morally wrong is unsettling in my humble opinion.

Furthermore breaking the speed limit vs. intentionally keeping money that doesn't belong to you is hardly comparable. (legal ethics 101)

We're not here to belittle or lecture you or your ethics, however, I hope that you take the several comments you got regarding said action as constructive criticism that might lead you to reconsider your stance.

Anyway, I have no interest in fighting with you. You best know yourself and your morals.
Everyone lives there own lives and takes the consequences.
On that we agree.
Dave_C, Gnopps, athome and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
NickArt,
thanks for answering. I couldn't have replied in a better way.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that duplicate chargeback credits / refunds no longer happen. As with anything, there are occasional errors made and that sometimes benefits the customer. Most customers immediately notify the card issuer because there are few who want to risk fraud charges over an air ticket or because they are honest or a bit of both.

But, practically speaking, recent payment processing enhancements flag these so that the transactions are matched.
mmff likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Nope, I considered it being for 'pain and suffering' and the economic loss I had when spending several hours on the case, along with many expensive phone calls to sort the situation.
You can consider it to be whatever you like, but in the real world it's called fraud, which has consequences. Occasionally credit card companies will do an audit and discover something like that and put the charge back on. If you want compensation for these consequential damages you'll have to apply for them, perhaps using the services of a lawyer.

And I don't follow your example of Asian rent boys at all
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I am not going to act like I am Jesus, because I am not.
It's like these old guys who travels to Asia to buy boys and girls.. at home they are the sweet guy, working at a company with a nice suit and all, having a wife and beautiful children.

Then in Asia it's a different story being there for "conference". Seen it myself. It happens. Yuck.
Or the people working at FIFA, or all the other corrupt companies in the world. Corruption, bad morals. Everywhere.
They all have bad morals until they get caught, then they blame someone else for the "mistake".
And don't get me started on the politicians. The absolute worst of the worst.
I don't get how someone else's wrongdoing means you can do wrong as well - as long as it is lesser. Or am I reading this wrong?

Two wrongs doesn't make one right.
mmff likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Well - I think it would be different if LH and others would just be honest.

If they told customers:
"Look guys, these are exceptional times and you can imagine that if you have no revenue and still need to pay expense, that's not sustainable. We therefore ask you to allow us to refund you only in 3 months - and if there is true hardship, we will do it faster. We are in it together, so thanks for supporting us."

instead of:
"so great news for you - you can now change your flights FOR FREE * - wow ! This is all what you wished for, you should be super happy. Just call us now."
* (T&C apply)

I think reactions would have been different...
Might not be possible due to corporate law / stock market regulations, but still...
Andaz likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:51 am

Refund delay -- Filing complaint with U.S. Dept. of Transportation

I've been waiting now for close to eight weeks for a refund for a canceled LH flight. On the telephone, I keep getting excuses. U.S. Department of Transportation regulations clearly state that refunds must be processed within seven business days if the original payment was made by credit card. I am not in the business of giving interest-free loans to airlines and I am considering filing a complaint against LH with DOT. Does anyone have any experience whether such action might jiggle something loose?

Last edited by iadh; May 18, 2020 at 7:03 am Reason: Typo correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.