Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Old May 26, 2020, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The big issue is the lack of transparency and communication. Other airlines have done a better job setting expectations (or just have more cashflow on the matter). Twitter is full with desperate people asking what to do. SN keeps telling the public to phone their Service Center for a refund and can't provide a timeframe nor the status of your request.

They quickly removed the form on their website when it became clear they had to cancel all their flights back in March.
This is all intentional. By keeping themselves quiet more and more pax are discouraged from launching lawsuits against Lufthansa, because many may think, the refund will happen soon.
Carsten Spohr has only two goals: 1. Keep Lufthansa alive; 2. Keep the government out of Lufthansa by keeping a threat of a Schutzschirmverfahren (with result in big job losses) alive!
In order to achieve these goals, the ticket funds must stay with Lufthansa.
It's political money!
Old May 26, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by Often1
The simplest and least-stressful way to deal with this is to make your request for a refund to LH and then wait 7 days. If the refund has been initiated, all the better. If not, on the 8th day you should initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) and, in the case of tickets to or from the US, a DOT complaint as well.

With both, you should supply a copy of your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation (possible screen shot showing absence of flight), your request for a refund, and any acknowledgement from LH (or a note that no acknowledgement has been received).

There is nothing extreme or hard (for you) about chargebacks and it is unlikely that LH will push back unless you have erroneously claimed a refund. DOT does not enforce individual matters, but it does evaluate whether the matter is within its jurisdiction and then send the complaint to LH requiring a response to the consumer with a copy to DOT. Given that DOT rules require a refund be initiated within 7 days, there really is not much for LH to do other than to respond that it has done so. Unless, of course, you have made an error.

By supplying the documents listed above, you make fairly short work of this for your bank as well.
Thank you . Please advise as I have bought award ticket & i request for refund . Can I ask for charge back to my credit card for amount paid by me as taxes & Surcharge etc.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:34 am
Suspended

Can I ask for charge back to my credit card for amount paid by me as taxes & Surcharge etc.
Yes, but you should do it in a written way;
Lufthansa will fight it.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by warakorn
Lufthansa will fight it.
OK. Thank you. I hope that in that case there is no risk to miles which have returned to my account.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:28 am

delete please

Last edited by Random471; May 26, 2020 at 11:40 am
Old May 26, 2020, 12:30 pm

Requested a refund April 1, received it today, May 26. F promotional fare.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Requested a refund April 1, received it today, May 26. F promotional fare.
Congrats! Very lucky.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Lufthansa will fight it.
I advise against a chargeback, lots of work, low chance of success (even though you are right they are wrong). Plus you risk loosing the ability to use for another flight and get a 50 Euro (questionable) voucher.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:44 am
Suspended

I advise against a chargeback, lots of work, low chance of success (even though you are right they are wrong). Plus you risk loosing the ability to use for another flight and get a 50 Euro (questionable) voucher.
But even the chargeback fails and Lufthansa is invalidating the vouchers -> the pax may elect to sue Lufthansa. The chargeback won't diminish the chances of winning against Lufthansa in a court of law.
Hence, I'd still recommend to try a chargeback first.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
Suing will only cost you more money and time. We'll just have to be patient in the end.

Edit: we have a consumer organization (Test-Aankoop) that protects consumers for fraud, bad practice and so on. They also provide legal advice and usually can pressure entities to respect EU-law. Regarding refunds from Ryanair and SN, their repeated reminders for overdue refunds have been left unanswered.
Granite64 likes this.

Last edited by flyvinci; May 27, 2020 at 4:18 am Reason: More info
Old May 27, 2020, 5:04 am
Suspended

we have a consumer organization (Test-Aankoop) that protects consumers for fraud, bad practice and so on.
That is all nice that we have such organization. The problem is that organizations like these have no power to enforce cash refunds against Lufthansa, hence, airlines elect to ignore them. Only courts through a writ/court title have that.
flyvinci likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:45 pm
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Requested a refund from Lufthansa in late March through AMEX travel: 2 J tickets booked through AMEX EWR-RIX ... didn't notice until yesterday but received the refund on May 19. But I miss being on the upper deck of the 747 ...
Old May 28, 2020, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Requested a refund from Lufthansa in late March through AMEX travel: 2 J tickets booked through AMEX EWR-RIX ... didn't notice until yesterday but received the refund on May 19. But I miss being on the upper deck of the 747 ...
Have you launched a formal DOT complaint prior to this?
Old May 29, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I had a combination of four LH/LX flights that were supposed to start on Monday morning. My assistant called LH yesterday morning and was asked if we would prefer a voucher or refund (I told her I'm fine with a voucher). She said 'refund' and it was processed in about five minutes. I'm reliably informed it showed up on the credit card this morning. Just a data point.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So Lufthansa will be bailed out by the government.

Today I received the money owing by Lufthansa. Refund process initiated April 23, Money Refunded May 21. These are Revenue tickets, booked for the promo 2 can travel in Business and First class.

Sometimes we get excited and post erroneously. My credit card company told me that they have refunded the Lufthansa amount to my card. And here I am like an idiot thought Lufthansa had refunded me. My apologies to all FT'ers, LH never refunded it was my credit card that did. I am sorry to post incorrect information.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.