Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
But Sir, you fail to understand that if LH didn't cancel or reschedule the flight and will be operating a scheduled, it is hardly LH's fault that you will not be able to take the flight. There is nothing to be annoying for, let alone to claim a refund for. Move on!
Well I finally called Austrian since there was never any news from my online refund request and the agent was very nice and processed the refund. She said it would take a few months for the money to come in though...
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile "Ring in " ??

Originally Posted by supine
If you have been waiting that I long I would ring in and check your claim is still active, if you have not done so already recently.

My claim was made in March, I'd poked LH a couple of times, but when I spoke with someone in mid June they indicated my booking had been closed out without the refund being processed. No explanation provided of when, how nor why.

They had to revive it by grafting the details onto a new booking reference, I rejoined the queue somewhere and was eventually paid out at the end of July/start of August.
"Ring In" ? Any chance you have a USA based number that I could call to check the status of my June Flight Cancellation Refund Request ?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Glad I Called

Originally Posted by gpicur
"Ring In" ? Any chance you have a USA based number that I could call to check the status of my June Flight Cancellation Refund Request ?
I called the general Lufthansa USA Reservations Number today . A wonderful representative named "Mark" helped me. After providing him the Ticket and Confirmation Numbers I learned that there was no Refund Request in the Lufthansa System. Mark said he would escalate the matter and provide me an email confirmation. Therefore the previous communication (as posted on their website) that I received from Lufthansa promising resolution to my refund request and asking me not to follow up were all LIES. I will be surprised if this Carnival called "Lufthansa" is still in business come year end.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:42 pm

My LH flights were cancelled early April. I filed for a refund via their website early July but never received any confirmation by email. Today I called their service center and after 70 minutes waiting time I was actually able to speak with someone. The lady told me the request for a refund was never received (so apparently the online request for a refund doesn't work) and she managed to cancel the booking and asked for a full refund. She told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks to refund.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:45 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by JRRM
My LH flights were cancelled early April. I filed for a refund via their website early July but never received any confirmation by email. Today I called their service center and after 70 minutes waiting time I was actually able to speak with someone. The lady told me the request for a refund was never received (so apparently the online request for a refund doesn't work) and she managed to cancel the booking and asked for a full refund. She told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks to refund.
Attached is a 7/31/2020 screenshot of the Message I received at the LH website when I entered all the data for my cancelled Cash Upgrade. The Notice asks "Please support us by not requesting any refunds again as this would lead to even further delays.... we PROMISE to process every refund (request) received. "

Clearly no such refund request was ever recorded by Lufthansa for both JRRM and myself. Of course they don't want us to follow up because transparency and accountability are not corporate values at Lufthansa. I have my doubts that Lufthansa has sufficient liquidity to sustain these refund requests.
Attached Images
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Sounds like many refund requests actually "disappear".

I called my request in and, shortly after the call, received an email saying "Unfortunately we had to cancel your booking on 16 July 2020. The already issued ticket(s) have been sent to our refund department for further processing."

I wonder if I can take this to assume that they will, in fact, process this refund. The 6 weeks' waiting time is of course over, though, and I haven't received any further communication since.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ffay005

I called my request in and, shortly after the call, received an email saying "Unfortunately we had to cancel your booking on 16 July 2020. The already issued ticket(s) have been sent to our refund department for further processing."

I wonder if I can take this to assume that they will, in fact, process this refund. The 6 weeks' waiting time is of course over, though, and I haven't received any further communication since.
I had this in April, so wondering the same to be honest...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ffay005
Seems some were never created but mine existed and was closed without the refund being processed.

If in doubt, call in and verify your refund request is still live. It won't speed things up but it will give you peace of mind you are at least still in the queue.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:50 am

One of our segments was cancelled and we asked for a refund on July 2, 2020. Our flights were for September 4, 2020. As of today Sep 2 still no refund. I have checked in a few times since the refund was requested and they keep telling me that is is eligible for a full refund. First they said 4-6 weeks. When I called at 6 weeks they said 6-8 weeks. When I called at 8 weeks they said they will expedite it. When I called today they said it is with the refund team but no timeline on when I will see it. Anything else I should be doing to get this refund moving? Thank you for any advice.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:55 am

Smile It Keeps Disappearing

Originally Posted by jfga2014
One of our segments was cancelled and we asked for a refund on July 2, 2020. Our flights were for September 4, 2020. As of today Sep 2 still no refund. I have checked in a few times since the refund was requested and they keep telling me that is is eligible for a full refund. First they said 4-6 weeks. When I called at 6 weeks they said 6-8 weeks. When I called at 8 weeks they said they will expedite it. When I called today they said it is with the refund team but no timeline on when I will see it. Anything else I should be doing to get this refund moving? Thank you for any advice.
I phoned in my refund request to Lufthansa on August 31 and "Mark" said that he would escalate it to the refund department and send me a verification email. No such email was sent. I called Lufthansa today (Sept 2) and they did confirm that I spoke with someone on August 31 but could not verify the status of the refund.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by gpicur
I phoned in my refund request to Lufthansa on August 31 and "Mark" said that he would escalate it to the refund department and send me a verification email. No such email was sent. I called Lufthansa today (Sept 2) and they did confirm that I spoke with someone on August 31 but could not verify the status of the refund.
Yep getting the same thing. I called back and asked for a supervisor and she said the saw they were supposed to expedite it when I called on August 28th but didn't. She said she is asking the refund department to process it today. We shall see if she was being honest.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
To be honest, it's all lies with them. How are so many requests just disappearing??

Despite having confirmation after cancellation by the agent, these just keep dropping into thin air, what's to say we don't wait another 30-60-90-120 days and it disappears again.

More magic here than Britain's Got Talent... Poof and your refund is gone. But don't worry we've processed all those that are still here.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It seems the agents that cancelled the reservations and sent it to the refund queue didn't pick dates far out enough for the retention segment that keeps the booking alive. Once the date is past, the GDS archives the booking and takes it out of the refund queue. Of course any agent can find it again in the archives and reactivate it, so calling in is the only option.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:21 am

Lufthansa did not refund for 6 months

Hi all, looking for an advice how to move forward.

LH cancelled my return flight back to US in March and still did not refund. I initiated a claim in April via Chase, to which LH counteracted saying that they do not owe anything. In mid-July, I have received an email from the LH customer relations saying that all due funds were processed. After a string of emails for a month or so, a rep wrote to me that they processed refund on May 30. Obviously, I have not received any money, and explained that to her. The rep said that "we processed and we will not to do anything else". I am not sure if the issue is that I was dealing with the same person who absolutely ignores everything. Previous calls to the LH USA office were useless - they just roll the ball to the customer service.

What should be the next step? Initiate another card dispute or try to find a sane person on the LH side to talk to? How to escalate the case to get money from this disreputable company?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Contact the lurkers via PM and state the facts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.