Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Old Jul 1, 20, 2:06 pm

Just to add to the general chorus:

--Booked a TATL itinerary in mid-winter for travel in spring.

--LH cancelled the outbound U.S. to Europe legs in mid-March; I held off requesting a refund in the hope that TATL traffic would sort itself out by July (it was a cheap fare, thus to defer the decision did not unbearably impact my budget).

--Given forum members' reports of problems with refunds, in April and again in May I called Peterborough for re-confirmation that I still had the choice whether to rebook or ask for a refund; both times the agent on the line re-confirmed that it would be possible to do either.

--Now with the continuing disruption in normal TATL traffic for the foreseeable future, I decided today, July 1, to request a refund.

--The agent -- in CPT by the sound of it -- initially tried to push some codswallop that, since I had agreed to put the PNR into dormant status, it would only be possible to rebook, not ask for a refund.

--After some back-and-forth she reluctantly agreed to get her supervisor's approval to put through a refund ("two to six weeks"). She and her supervisor refused to put in writing anything other than the standard one-line e-mail that "Unfortunately we had to cancel your booking on 01 July 2020" but apparently did annotate the booking file to confirm approval for a full refund.

So for now no tale of woe.

My travel pattern locks me into using LH Group. Status is a useful buffer in the event of irrops. Moreover, there are members of this forum who will hasten to proclaim that they have never had less than an immaculate experience with LH. Therefore, who needs yet another observation about LH senior management's graceless, transactional approach to customer service (and to their cabin crews as well) since CLIMB and SCORE? A pity though...
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by pull_over View Post
I finally managed to reach Lufthansa customer service I was told one of my refunds has been already processed few days ago (cancelled in 27th of March) and the second one (but it was actually cancelled few hours earlier) wasn't touched yet.
I was asked to call again next week to confirm they processed the second one. It seems they finally started to transfer all the refunds recently. Cool!
May I ask which number you used and are you in the U.S? I haven't been able to get through. May I also ask your situation? Worried doing the cancel for refund form online that it won't be done correctly. We are in the U.S. and cannot travel to the EU until who knows when. We received an email today saying out connecting flight from Frankfurt has been cancelled and hoping for a full refund of the entire ticket, not just the cancelled portion.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cookoovaya View Post
Hi all,

I received a change of reservation email today.

I check the booking on the website where I also had the option to refund which I did. I received a cancellation acknowledgement.
Does anyone have any experience with those? I'm confused. Should I expect a refund?
I received the same email and not sure how to proceed? Fill out the cancel for refund option online or try to call. Calling is not going through right now.
Old Jul 1, 20, 3:11 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*G, A3*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfga2014 View Post
May I ask which number you used and are you in the U.S? I haven't been able to get through. May I also ask your situation? Worried doing the cancel for refund form online that it won't be done correctly. We are in the U.S. and cannot travel to the EU until who knows when. We received an email today saying out connecting flight from Frankfurt has been cancelled and hoping for a full refund of the entire ticket, not just the cancelled portion.
My current situation with Lufthansa is:
Two bookings cancelled on 27th of March, one refunded
One booking cancelled last week, one refunded

In March I used U.S. phone line, I had pretty nice chat with very professional lady, last week I wasn't able to reach US phone number for two days so I used local Polish call center (it's where I currently live), the guy checked the status of two of my previous refunds and cancelled another booking for me. I didn't use the form eventually, because it didn't work for me for some strange reason, only called Lufthansa once in March and once last week.

You're allowed to cancel entire booking if at least one flight has been cancelled (that was my situation once), you don't need to explain why you don't want to take another flight departing one hour later or something.

Good luck!
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:06 am

Just checking, I have a CDG-VIE flight in a few days that I cannot take because US citizens are still not allowed into Europe (My TATL trip is with AA). The flight is not canceled, can I request a refund ?
it is a non refundable ticket and I am booked on a different flight from the original flight, which had been canceled. I (stupid) had called to rebook two weeks ago.
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
The full refund is only given when any segment of the reservation is cancelled. The fact that you cannot be in Europe to take the flight is your business.
mmff likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
My refund journey:

Intra European(Y Class)
Initiated Refund April 22
Refund Processed June 18
Funds Released July 1 (No chargeback initiated)

International (F & J)
Initiated Refund April 22
Processed Funds
Funds Released
Spoiler

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jul 2, 20 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfga2014 View Post
I received the same email and not sure how to proceed? Fill out the cancel for refund option online or try to call. Calling is not going through right now.
Even if the call goes through, it's possible for the call to drop after you waited for quite some time..
Old Jul 2, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
I had the same issue today, saw the web support number at the bottom of the reservation and called it on a whim (planning to play dumb and see where it got me), and they were actually able to process the full cancellation and refund for me. 1-866-953-2294.

Edit: this is jfga2014

Last edited by goyankees32790; Jul 2, 20 at 4:30 pm Reason: add user
Old Jul 3, 20, 7:39 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by demue View Post
So even the return of the miles, not just taxes, fees and YQ takes months? I have gathered that cash refunds are dragged and dragged by LH, but there should be zero issue to redeposit the miles on the spot or within days.

We have a LH Biz RT Europe - SE Asia in late Sep that a family member won't be able to use so it will have to be cancelled eventually. Of course I will wait till a few days before the flight to see if any cancellation by LH will happen, but if not the 50€ fee are fine and waiting for the refund of cash (while not appreciated) is bearable as only one ticket, but I can't fathom why miles would be held back as well. I guess we will have to see by then and one can always try to ask the M&M agent to credit on the spot in order to make a new booking with those miles. Can't be more than nothing.

Anyways, LH will suffer for this crappy refund behavior in the future, at least where my choices and spend for flights will be concerned.
Well as it happens last night the change email came in for said trip and in a 4 segment journey segments 1 & 4 had been dropped making the itinerary not that feasible. I called the local LH office in SIN and am not sure in which contact center I ended up.

After having to explain that an itinerary that's missing 2 segments without alternative isn't really flyable the rest was straight forward and the award booking was cancelled without fees. Miles are supposed to be back in 7 days and taxes and YQ, well a few months probably. Let's see, the counter has started.

Last edited by demue; Jul 3, 20 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 3, 20, 9:48 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Angry Filthy trick to avoid paying full refund

Lufthansa cancelled my flight and kindly rebooked me to a different connection that would involve an overnight stay in Frankfurt. Thanks but no thanks! They kindly gave me the option of rebooking (no extra 50 Credit since I booked in July) but all rebooking options had extra charge. None of these are acceptable to me, but I was glad to see at the bottom of the email an option to request a refund:

such a filthy little trick

If you there click the option "REFUND" they will only offer you a refund as per the ticket rules - in my case around 20% of the amount paid.

To request a refund due to their cancellation you need to go on the dedicated cancellation refund request page here https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/refund

Filthy little trick. I understand that Lufthansa is short on cash, but since many moons ago I studied law I always read all Ts and Cs carefully - I can imagine many people fall for the trap of confirming the cancellation request on the email and then only get their taxes back.
Since I have so many ongoing disputes with Lufthansa including 2 lawsuits, I have taken screenshots of the refund request and the second that the 15 days grace period to refund that VISA gives to merchants before accepting a chargeback under condition CREDIT NOT PROCESSED elapses I will raise a chargeback.
Old Jul 3, 20, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you - by accident or deception - hit a "cancel" or "refund" button after Lufthansa has cancelled the flight --> I do not think you have a problem. If this goes in front of a judge -> then cancelling a ticket after a flight cancellation cannot be hold against the passenger.
Old Jul 3, 20, 10:51 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
If you - by accident or deception - hit a "cancel" or "refund" button after Lufthansa has cancelled the flight --> I do not think you have a problem. If this goes in front of a judge -> then cancelling a ticket after a flight cancellation cannot be hold against the passenger.
One would indeed think so ... but at the same time I have Lufthansa’s lawyer trying to confuse the judge in my case by claiming that they cannot be held accountable for a flight cancellation by Lufthansa City Airline; that LH has fulfilled its obligations (after failed cx on same ticket) by bringing me back home and reimbursing 3/4 of the ticket since I used 1/4 of it flying LUX-FRA 🤨
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kataskopos View Post
One would indeed think so ... but at the same time I have Lufthansa’s lawyer trying to confuse the judge in my case by claiming that they cannot be held accountable for a flight cancellation by Lufthansa City Airline; that LH has fulfilled its obligations (after failed cx on same ticket) by bringing me back home and reimbursing 3/4 of the ticket since I used 1/4 of it flying LUX-FRA 🤨
I really think EU261 should be modified to double what airlines owe customers when deceitful practices are used. Be it falsifying information on cancellations, asserting agreements not made with passengers, presenting involuntary rerouting or cancellation as voluntary or deliberately ignoring passengers’ requests. It’s not just Lufthansa, but as I have said on another thread, their reputation for honesty is now non-existent. I trust nothing they tell me now. But hopefully that won’t matter to me because I will hardly be flying with them any more.
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If Lufthansa Cityline cancelled your flight (was the operating carrier for the first cancelled segment), then you must sue Lufthansa Cityline and not Lufthansa. Could you please tell me more about your case;

Search this Thread