Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: LH and Credit Card - Disputes/Chargebacks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:47 pm

Do we know if SN is also doing these bogus 'not legally allowed to enter into the country' chargeback rejections?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Do we know if SN is also doing these bogus 'not legally allowed to enter into the country' chargeback rejections?
From my own experience, they stopped defending chargebacks. I did a chargeback in conjunction with a fully unused ticket that Helga nevertheless just wanted to refund taxes on , and then generiously told me that the taxes were less than the "unused coupons" (to bear in mind I had used none) so as a goodwill gesture they would not charge me and just offset. Today my chargeback money was credited (32 days after chargeback... since this was VISA it means that Lufthansa did not even bother responding to the chargeback).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:50 am

I began my chargeback with SN a few days ago. Hopefully it will work but we shall see in a few weeks' time!
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
For chargebacks, AMEX is the best and often sides with the purchaser
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
For chargebacks, AMEX is the best and often sides with the purchaser
Hmmmm,
If you are reading the reports here on FT, you get the impression that Amex usually sides with the merchant.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
My personal dispute statistic with Amex (therefore irrelevant in terms of significance) is 50% with merchant 50% with me, based on 10 chargebacks this year.

I have recovered in full via MCOL, letter before action and a threatened petition for a winding up order (Lufthansa in the UK) for the 5 declined chargebacks.

Various BS excuses were accepted by Amex as evidence of a valid charge, including “we’re busy so it’s an abuse of the chargeback process”.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I believe it is more precise to say that also AMEX has moved from normally siding with the customer to now/in the wake of Covid-19 often to side with the merchant/vendor as AMEX has realised that the huge amount of chargeback requests may lead to merchants going 'belly up' and AMEX to pay for the refund, i.e. AMEX will process/approve chargebacks until it is no longer in the interest of AMEX to do it.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

The problem is that Amex is both the issuer and acquirer.
Hence, Amex has to fund the chargeback at all times. There is not another bank involved.
When you then consider that Amex wants to keep a profitable business relationship with the airline (merchant), esp. regarding selling/buying frequent flyer miles, then you understand why Amex is usually siding with the merchant.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
Hence, Amex has to fund the chargeback at all times. There is not another bank involved.
I'm quite sure that AMEX will pass on the bill to the Merchant - in one way or the other. No way AMEX is paying for chargebacks themselves (then no chargebacks would be accepted at all).
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:02 am
Suspended

I'm quite sure that AMEX will pass on the bill to the Merchant - in one way or the other. No way AMEX is paying for chargebacks themselves (then no chargebacks would be accepted at all).
Chargebacks are initially funded by the acquirer (not the merchant) - that is the whole idea of the chargeback process. In the Visa/MasterCard world the acquirer usually has reserved a big holdback of funds if there is a risk that the merchant could go belly-up.
In case of an Amex payment, the acquirer is Amex. And we do not know whether Amex has reserved that holdback or not.

Well, of course the acquirer will pass the bill to the merchant (or just debit the merchant account with the chargeback). The problem is what happens if this merchant account is empty or if there is a cozy relationship between acquirer and the merchant.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is what happens if this merchant account is empty or if there is a cozy relationship between acquirer and the merchant.
That are most likely the exact reasons why AMEX has stopped approving these charge backs; most likely the former and the risk that the airlines will go belly up and AMEX would have no merchant/vendor account to debit.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
When you then consider that Amex wants to keep a profitable business relationship with the airline (merchant), esp. regarding selling/buying frequent flyer miles, then you understand why Amex is usually siding with the merchant.
Unless there is evidence beyond suspicion, and a handful reports reports in these threads from aggrieved parties, this enters the territory of conspiracy theory.
Maybe better to use "might" rather than "usually".

AMEX is a grown-up company fully subscribing to the adoption of a dispute/chargeback policy (albeit of its own design), including an appeals process. If the appeals process is not followed, the Financial Ombudsman Service kicks in. Well, that's in the UK but I'm sure there are similar arbitration schemes elsewhere.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SK AAR
That are most likely the exact reasons why AMEX has stopped approving these charge backs; most likely the former and the risk that the airlines will go belly up and AMEX would have no merchant/vendor account to debit.
??

If you subscribe to this notion of conspiracy, then in the UK (and i guess under similar legislation elsewhere) customers using AMEX credit cards have the parallel route of Section 75 (of the Consumer Credit Act) to follow. It's not a voluntary policy adopted by the industry, but has the force of law, and enables claims for consequential loss to be entertained. It holds the cc company and the merchant jointly and individually responsible for irregularities. It's no more difficult to invoke this route than the chargeback one, though being defined in law the circumstances in which it can be employed are specifically defined.

You also have MCOL, which is another well trod path over which AMEX has no control.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just referring to several reports in this and other similar threads that AMEX seems to have stopped approving charge backs for refunds of tickets. I'm sure you will be able to find approved chargebacks also recently.

I have really no interest in the (extreme) remedies available in the UK and the US. For the majority of subscribers to this forum, they are not available.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

One more data point from a German law forum:

https://www.123recht.de/forum/reiser...__f578115.html

Passenger books a ticket from AMS to AKL. LX issued the ticket, but the passenger bought the ticket through an OTA (Bravofly, Lastminute.com). Lastminute.com has charged the credit card (Amex).
LX cancelled the first flight and is refusing a cash refund, because the OTA has to initiate the refund process.
The OTA plays the dead man.#
Amex is refusing a chargeback with that excuse:

….der Akzeptanzpartner hat uns darüber informiert, dass das Unternehmen ausgelagerte Dienstleistungen anbietet. Daher müssen Sie sich direkt an die Firma wenden, die die Dienstleistung anbietet....
Basically Amex is telling the passenger to deal directly with Swiss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.