Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa drops all return flights from my booking with no communication

Lufthansa drops all return flights from my booking with no communication

Old Mar 20, 20, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Lufthansa drops all return flights from my booking with no communication

Hi all,

I had return flights on Lufthansa from KBP to LAX on March 21, 2020, but managed to fly back from Kyiv on Ukrainian Air last minute before all the Coronavirus shutdowns, since it was absolutely impossible to contact Lufthansa. Luckily, I'm back in LA safely, having purchased another flight.

Lufthansa cancelled all my return flights and now, 24 hours before original departure, they have magically disappeared from my booking on the website, like they never even existed... Their website is completely broken, offers no options, and none of the phone lines or chat support lines work.

I realize the gravity of the situation, but this seems unacceptable for one of the world's major "5-start" airlines. Zero communication sent to customers, they just conveniently pretend the flights never existed, and leave people stranded. Their website talks about refund and cancellation options, but none of those actually exist when you view your bookings. A complete lie and violation of their duty of care.

Was Lufthansa just planning on leaving me stranded in Kyiv? Have they gone bankrupt? Does anyone know what my options are at this point to get a refund?

I'm not sure if I should contact my bank at this point to start a chargeback process of something else.

I'm curious to know what other Flyertalkers are experience with Lufthansa, since it's quite shocking their lack of customer support.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just apply for a cash refund and move on!
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Just apply for a cash refund and move on!
How and where do I do that? There are no refund options on the website. The buttons have completely disappeared, I have tried calling Lufthansa's US phone numbers for hours and no one picks up. Nor do they answer their Facebook messages.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The Lufthansa website actually says I can check-in (yes, the button is there) to a non-existent flight, and then just breaks with an error. No refund, no cancellation buttons anywhere.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Just wait a few days. The website is completely overloaded at the moment and unable to cope with all the attempts to get things fixed. Same on most other airline websites IME.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
Just wait a few days. The website is completely overloaded at the moment and unable to cope with all the attempts to get things fixed. Same on most other airline websites IME.
Yes, I had been waiting to 72 hours before departure as they recommend. Now itís more like 8 hours before departure...

Will they honor anything after the original flight departure date?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:22 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ralphch View Post
Yes, I had been waiting to 72 hours before departure as they recommend. Now it’s more like 8 hours before departure...

Will they honor anything after the original flight departure date?
On LH page:

You do not have to contact us before your original flight date – your ticket will keep its validity even past the original flight date. You will be able to rebook it any time until 31 August 2020.

I believe it also refers to refund requests.

Last edited by andywaw; Mar 20, 20 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
If I understand you correctly then you are back at your intended destination LAX already. Good news.

I was in a similar situation to yours, in Namibia with my flight back to Germany cancelled and due to the structure of communications, only discovered by chance that my flight had been cancelled. Like you I took my own destiny in my hands and simply booked new flights which would get me out of where I was and back to where I wanted to be.

Now we have to start the process of fixing the cancelled bits and getting our refunds. I think it will all take some time.

I suspect Lufthansa will be more likely to honour things (in your case) than Air Namibia might be (in my case), but at any rate we have to both go through due procedure, however difficult this might prove to be at the moment on various websites.

I imagine airlines have hundreds of thousands of cases for refunds active right now, so my advice would be to submit a refund application in whatever orderly manner might become available, hope to receive a response that this has been received and then sit back and wait for a satisfactory resolution which will probably take weeks rather than days.
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: Miles&More
A note to all. They can't do anything via twitter or facebook. They can't change a flight or refund a flight. They will just reply back to call. There is a papertrail for everything and they can refund it. You have to be patient. Submit one item for Customer Relations (CURE) under the feedback link on the website. That will be a slow process as well, but when they finally open it they can take direction at that time. Best bet is to try and call the USA number really early in the morning and try and beat the people who sleep in a hour later. A call centre person will queue it to refunds and that process will take some time due to the volume. Cheers & stay safe!
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:54 pm

First of all - save screenshots of the cancelled flight.
LH is obliged to issue a full cash refund within 7 days.

I would send them a message on your website.
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Relax.

You have arranged transport home (unlike many others who are stuck where they are and may be stuck for months). You are entitled to a refund. You may claim that through the ordinary customer service channel (and would be advised to screen shot it so that you do not have to rely on anything you yourself can't supply).

It may take a bit, but you will have your refund. If you don't, then you have a basis for a chargeback as you will be able to document your unfulfilled request.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
First of all - save screenshots of the cancelled flight.
LH is obliged to issue a full cash refund within 7 days.

I would send them a message on your website.
This is normal-operation behaviour.

Right now, it's simply so messed up one shouldn't expect anything at all. Eventually, the backlog will be cleared and people will get their money back IF LH Group survives this. Otherwise, it might get extremely messy.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:52 am

Right now, it's simply so messed up one shouldn't expect anything at all. Eventually, the backlog will be cleared and people will get their money back IF LH Group survives this. Otherwise, it might get extremely messy.
That's why I recommend to file for a chargeback after 30 have passed since the cancellation. With that the acquirer bank becomes the creditor for the refund, not you anymore.
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:22 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
I just wonder how the refund will look like. Will LH recalculate based on the actual flown itinerary and find out that a one-way was more expensive than a return, so no refund is due?

HTB.
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
This is normal-operation behaviour.

I received three texts and two emails from Ryanair stating my flights were cancelled. It was clearly stated, refund, change route or destination (without surcharge which is SOP for FR)

Mr OíLeary transports many more pax than Helga does, yet he manages just fine?
IAN-UK and chris63 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: