Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: M&M Elite Status Extensions?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
What M&M communicated so far does not create an incentive to fly this year.
If the goal to qualify or re-qualify is now out of reach this year, then it's just too bad.

Hope dies last - I still hope and expect that they will remember soon what FFPs where invented for:
As a cheap way to attract and keep travel with the own airline.
Giving up 2020 (almost) completely seems more stupid then I think LH Group is.

So come on M&M, bring us these double and triple miles offers!
wien_expat likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

- SEN expires end Feb 22.
- Assume they do in fact introduce the new system on 01 Jan 22 which they are now postponing from 01 Jan 21.
- What happens if I fly enough only in Jan and Feb 22 to maintain SEN status ? Will I extend to end of Feb 23 or end of Feb 24 ?
Old May 17, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerLX
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

- SEN expires end Feb 22.
- Assume they do in fact introduce the new system on 01 Jan 22 which they are now postponing from 01 Jan 21.
- What happens if I fly enough only in Jan and Feb 22 to maintain SEN status ? Will I extend to end of Feb 23 or end of Feb 24 ?
Feb 23, because your requalification will already be under the new rules (which are only 1 year, not 2 years anymore)

However, IF the current system of qualification during the year (not re-qualification!) is kept, you could let your status quickly expire on 29th Feb, and qualify in early March 2022. That will make your status valid till Feb 2024.

Under the old system, you could become SEN for almost 3 years by qualifing in March, new one (should) allow for almost 2 years if timed correctly. But that's 2 years into the future, good chance the world (and Lufthansa) will be a completely different place by then.
Old May 17, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Feb 23, because your requalification will already be under the new rules (which are only 1 year, not 2 years anymore)

Under the old system, you could become SEN for almost 3 years by qualifing in March, new one (should) allow for almost 2 years if timed correctly. But that's 2 years into the future, good chance the world (and Lufthansa) will be a completely different place by then.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Yes I thought of going down to FTL for a day or two, then doing a flight to go back up to SEN until end of Feb 24. The problem there is that I lose one year out of the 10 year requirement for Lifetime SEN.

But as you say... Who knows what there will and won't be by then...
Old May 17, 2020, 3:42 pm

About Lifetime FTL/SEN in the new system- assuming it does get introduced on 01 Jan 22- does the 10 year requirement for SEN mean consecutive years? The M&M communication simply refers to "over the years" and says they have to be 10 full calendar years...
Old May 19, 2020, 9:45 am

So I just received the following email from "Senator News" entitled "Important information about your frequent flyer programme".

Goodwill measures and new features

Dear Mr. Dave_C,

The spread of coronavirus has posed new challenges for us all. We are keen to offer you a gesture of our goodwill in this unusual situation. As a frequent flyer, you are one of our most loyal passengers, which is why we aim to continue offering you an attractive and transparent programme. We would therefore like to outline a special set of one-off goodwill measures that we are implementing as a result of the coronavirus crisis.
In this context, it is important for you to know that we have also decided to
postpone the launch of our new frequent flyer programme by one year. This means that the current regulations will continue to apply until 31 December 2021 and that the new system will then begin on 1 January 2022 – and not, as communicated in November, in 2021. You will find further information at miles-and-more.com/frequent-flyer.
Here is an overview of our
goodwill measures:
We will extend your status by one year to February 2022, if you do not renew your status in 2019 or 2020. If you renew your status by the end of 2020, you will naturally get your usual renewal until February 2023.
All eVouchers with expiry dates in 2020 and 2021 will be extended or re-credited and can be used until 31.12.2021.
Your status will be renewed as usual at the end of the year and will then be visible in your Miles & More account.
Please rest assured that we are constantly monitoring and evaluating the current situation, and will keep you regularly informed.
Thank you for your loyalty, and stay healthy.

Make of that what you will.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:52 am
ym1

Programs: M&M, AVIS, HH, GP ...
I got for HON same as SEN.

We will extend your statusby one year to February 2022, if you do not renew your status in 2019 and 2020. If you renew your status by the end of 2020, you will naturally get your usual renewal until February 2023.

What if my status is till February 2022 does it extend till February 2023?
Old May 19, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by ym1
I don't think so. You need to re-qualify in either 2020 or 2021 to keep your status.

I'm in that situation, so the one year extension is worthless, as apparently the large number of status miles I racked up in the first 8 weeks of 2020.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia, Accor Plat
They say in this mail that rules have become more flexible while it may be true for non exp. 2022. The situation has become less flexible for the 2022 as if we have not been impacted by the COVID.
I received it twice in addition. I would have preferred to receive nothing
Old May 19, 2020, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ym1
I got for HON same as SEN.

As far as I understand it, that's the bad news... those who expire end Feb 22 get nothing. M&M are basically saying: if your requal years for SEN or HON are 20 and/or 21, it's tough luck, and you just have to scramble to get your miles in exactly the same 24-month time frame as if Covid hadn't happened. I guess they hope people in that situation are desperate to keep their status, so they will jump on any old LHG flight during the "re-start" phase and improve the LH bank balance while Spohr continues to wrestle with Scholz and co...

I for one do not want to play the role of bailout man by doing that. I'm seriously considering a long-term switch to BA, which for me makes more sense logistically, and which might cancel out my long-standing loyalty to LHG.

btw... Does anyone have an opinion on why the new status structure is postponed until 01/01/2022 ?

Last edited by FlyerLX; May 19, 2020 at 11:14 am
Old May 19, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
..... the one year extension is worthless, as apparently the large number of status miles I racked up in the first 8 weeks of 2020.
I agree... and flights booked for travel at the start of 2021 with the expectation that they will be status-relevant under the new rules are now worth next to nothing under the old rules.

Why oh why can LH not just extend all status by 12 months? So much simpler and not unreasonable imho...
Old May 19, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I agree... and flights booked for travel at the start of 2021 with the expectation that they will be status-relevant under the new rules are now worth next to nothing under the old rules.

Why oh why can LH not just extend all status by 12 months? So much simpler and not unreasonable imho...
I understand that in 2021 you will still get the Star points that count for LT status.

I agree that the one year extension or reduce the threshold would make much more sense.

IMHO, having to re-qualify next year when it is not yet clear that the pandemic will be over, and when some companies might be cutting travel budgets means that they have not taken a look from the customers perspective.
FlyerLX likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: SN SEN*, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Spire Elite
Question

As far as I understand it, that's the bad news... those who expire end Feb 22 get nothing. M&M are basically saying: if your requal years for SEN or HON are 20 and/or 21, it's tough luck, and you just have to scramble to get your miles in exactly the same 24-month time frame as if Covid hadn't happened.
I needed to read the e-mail a few times. I think even if your requal years were 2019, 2020 and/or 2021 you get nothing.

​​
So 2019 & 2020 where requalifying years for me. I requalified in 2019 (offering me 2021/2022 SEN). I am now (2020) in a dead year.
2022 was my supposed to be my first re-qualifying year in the new system.

If I read it well :

'We will extend your status by one year to February 2022, if you do not renew your status in 2019 or 2020.' -> I did in 2019.

'If you renew your status by the end of 2020' -> I did in 2019.

'You will naturally get your usual renewal until February 2023.' -> this is where I do not get the 'goodwill gesture' ? So I am just getting what I am entitled too?

I don't want to complain, Covid19 is not their fault and they are in big ..... But I think they e-mailed the wrong people?

This is just so confusing to me ...
Old May 19, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by gryomosy

......I requalified in 2019 (offering me 2021/2022 SEN).

.......This is just so confusing to me ...
Well, I think you're not the only one who finds the world of M&M confusing at the best of times and the last few months haven't made things easier!
Can I ask- does your current status expire on the last day of February 2022 ?
Old May 19, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: SN SEN*, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Spire Elite
Should have been clearer about that, so my requalification in 2019 provided me with:

2020: dead year (managed to requalify in the first of the two year period)
2021: my renewed SEN year starts (and I should receive a new SEN card valid to 02/23 - current one expires 02/21)
2022: my last full year as SEN in the old system and the first year to requalify under the new system
2023: February 2023, the actual expiry of the period described above. And I better got enough points in 2022 or I would loose SEN status as of March 2023 :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.