Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Good for you. I have a beach available but the weather is crap.

You are from California aren't you? On balance, I'd rather wait it out there I think though.
I'm from the US, but a different state. Used to live in California.

For numerous reasons, I think I'm safer where I'm going. Going to stop through London to gather 2 months of clothes before shifting to being solo for a while.

See you on the other side folks.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
The problem is trying to contact them. Their customer service lines are jammed and hold times are over 1.5 hours (so far). They have cancelled twice on me and then rely on me to call to cancel the ticket and request a refund. Then they take two weeks to refund the ticket charge...

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA ticket: you (or your Travel Agent) need to contact United and ask them to cancel/refund the ticket due to a flight cancellation..
Are you sure? It's an LH flight that was cancelled and replaced by a different flight. United's rules do NOT allow for refund, so I'm having to use EU261 to ask for refund - but under EU261 I thought operating carrier (LH) has to provide the refund? Or are refunds handled differently from compensation?

[The United situation is a complete mess since they've changed their rules a few times, and they're being way less flexible now - since EU261 guarantees a refund I'd rather rely on that than on goodwill from United.]

(Thanks for the LX confirmation, I thought that would be the case... My coworker really jumped the gun on that one.)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raul_R
Most probably just the original fare is not more available / active.
That's the "trick" on those "free rebookings" with LHG now.
Right, thanks for the info. Naturally the original sales fare is not available anymore so basically I'd consider this "waiver" not to be that "general".

Hopefully LH group will do the right thing and allow truly free changes and cancellations on all flights sooner than later like some of the other airlines as many people are prohibited to travel during this time.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by televisor
Are you sure? It's an LH flight that was cancelled and replaced by a different flight. United's rules do NOT allow for refund, so I'm having to use EU261 to ask for refund - but under EU261 I thought operating carrier (LH) has to provide the refund? Or are refunds handled differently from compensation?
If you have a UA ticket its they who have your money. LH can't give you the money back that United is holding. The operating carrier gets the money only after delivering the service, ie transporting you on the flight the ticket coupon was issued for.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:57 am

Not sure if this deserves a new thread. Will impact many here.

I see all flights to the US are cancelled now except a few routes. From LH.com:

Despite the new travel guidelines ordered by the US administration on passengers from the European Union, Switzerland and other countries, Lufthansa Group Airlines will continue to offer flights to the USA from Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium.

The Lufthansa Group will continue operating flights from:
  • Frankfurt to Chicago and Newark (New York)
  • Zurich to Chicago and Newark (New York)
  • Vienna to Chicago and from
  • Brussels to Washington
beyond 14 March, thus maintaining at least some air traffic connections to the USA from Europe. The airlines are currently working on an alternative flight schedule for the USA. Passengers will still be able to reach all destinations within the USA via the U.S. hubs and connecting flights served by our partner airline, United Airlines.

All other U.S. flights will be suspended until further notice due to U.S. administration restrictions, including all departures from Munich, Düsseldorf and Geneva. The Lufthansa Group will continue to serve all destinations in Canada until further notice.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you have a UA ticket its they who have your money. LH can't give you the money back that United is holding. The operating carrier gets the money only after delivering the service, ie transporting you on the flight the ticket coupon was issued for.
This is solely the problem of LH (the operating carrier). They are on the hook for the EC261/2004 article 8 refund. Extraordinary circumstances (Coronavirus) do not waive article 8 obligations for the airline.
Borromini likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
The waiver has been updated:

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...4-1d35e64da429

Lufthansa Group Airlines extend rebooking options for customers

• Customers can keep their ticket without having to immediately commit to a new travel date
  • Customers can also rebook to another destination
  • Extended goodwill applies to booked and cancelled flights
Lufthansa Group Airlines Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Air Dolomiti are expanding their existing, comprehensive rebooking options in the interests of their customers due to the exceptional circumstances caused by the spread of the coronavirus.

Customers who have tickets for cancelled and also existing Lufthansa Group Airline flights can keep this ticket without having to commit to a new flight date directly. Existing bookings will be cancelled for the time being, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be rebooked to a new departure date up to and including 31 December 2020.

This rule applies to tickets booked up to and including 12 March 2020 and having a confirmed travel date up to and including 30 April 2020. Customers are requested to inform us of their desired rebooking by 1 June 2020. No rebooking fees will be charged. If the original fare is no longer available, the corresponding difference must be paid when the rebooking is made. In addition, customers can also rebook to another destination.

With this extended goodwill arrangement, Lufthansa Group Airlines are responding to the wish of many customers to be able to have more flexibility regarding their travel plans given the current exceptional circumstances.

Last week, the Lufthansa Group already introduced flexible rebooking options for its customers with regard to existing and future bookings. More information is available at lh.com. In addition, customers can contact the service hotline at any time on +49 (0) 69 86 799 799 to change their reservations.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I just contacted my travel agency and they informed me that when I rebook my current ticket that I'm no longer going to use due to the coranavirus, I must travel to/from the original destination. However, I note that in the guidelines above, it states that "customers can also rebook to another destination". As such, I'm looking for clarification that in fact, I will be able to change my travel destination?

Ignore my question, I contacted the travel agency once again and it's been resolved.

Last edited by qrctraveller; Mar 13, 2020 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by warakorn
This is solely the problem of LH (the operating carrier). They are on the hook for the EC261/2004 article 8 refund. Extraordinary circumstances (Coronavirus) do not waive article 8 obligations for the airline.
FWIW there are a few reports on the UA forum, of UA tickets with cancelled LH flights resulting in full refund (but also at least one person who's been told no) - but only for miles flights so far. But indeed, my reading is that LH is on the hook here.

Anyhow, my "travel" begins in just over 7 days from now, and the ticket is currently still valid (although in a weird state/needing reissuing due to changes):
- I have sent LH an EU261 cancel/refund request.
- If I don't hear back from them in time, and/or they refuse, I'll cancel the ticket from UA's side.
- Will then wait, and if LH refuse, will ask UA for a refund.
- If that fails... I might just give up and use UA's change-fee waiver, since I know I will travel in future. But I'd rather use EU261 to make a point (and since there's still the risk, however small, of bankruptcy).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Is that April 30th date going to be moved up to May 30? When will LH make that decision?

Flights booked February 12, 2020.

Our flight May 4 FRA-PMI & May 7th AMS-BKK and May 15th BKK-AMS.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Mar 16, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Is that April 30th date going to be moved up to May 30? When will LH make that decision?
subscribing for this. Travel date May 4th.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:53 am

More restrictive refunds now?

Disappointing to see.

A week or two ago, the LH website said LH group was offering free refunds or rebookings if you can't travel due to a ban on your entry by the country you are going to. Now, it says only 'rebookings'.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have you called them with your particular circumstances?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:30 am

I wonder if it was already extended, we changed a bunch of bookings via our corporate TA for flights in mid-May due to trade show postponement, we only had to pay our TA change fee. K and L class bookings on Lufthansa issued tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.