Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: LH*S
Hello. I am trying to use the rebooking waiver. I am calling the SWISS frequent traveller number, but to no avail. Can't get through...
What options do I have? The flight I want to rebook is in 24 hours...
Should I write to them to keep a trace that I have indeed tried to use the waiver?
Should I go to the airport swiss counter?
Thank you for any help
P
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: SQ *G, UA *G, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
With the current situation, would it be possible that Lufthansa will offer free cancelation for flights between Europe and US in the near future?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by volutes
With the current situation, would it be possible that Lufthansa will offer free cancelation for flights between Europe and US in the near future?
If your flight is cancelled, they cannot force you to rebook. They must provide for free cancellation. It's the law. (IANAL, but I believe the exceptions to this are extremely limited in scope. So my statement is essentially correct.)
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
There will be rebook and cancellation options. LH group just announced this on 11-Mar.
https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...a-1b471ae9fd7b
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by hugolover
If one of your flights was cancelled then surely you could have had a refund for the full trip per the usual procedures?
There have been some people claiming that EU 261 refunds might not happen due to "exceptional circumstances". Anyone know if that's the case with LH?

// Edit: and... I think those peopel are wrong. Exceptional circumstances can be used as an excuse to not pay compensation, but the refund still seems to be available regardless?

Last edited by televisor; Mar 12, 2020 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The lobbying to suspend the EU261 compensation scheme for delays and cancellations under Covid19 situations is already on, but as you say the right to a complete refund due to schedule change or cancellation is still valid.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s absolute mayhem in a number of airports right now with pax trying to get back, turning up without a reservation, to airport ticket desks that are essentially XBAG offices due to remote ticketing.

A genuine waiver could have helped avoid the worst of this.

LOT are trying to find a strategy to get pax back.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Ticketing changes can now be done by TAs without asking for authorisation:

Authorization to reissue tickets in connection with the coronavirus is no longer required

March 11, 2020

To simplify the process of re-issuing tickets according to the current Goodwill Policy rules, Lufthansa Group airlines decided to cancel authorizations for rebooking tickets.

Now you can reissue tickets issued by March 5, 2020 inclusively with a departure date from March 5 to April 30, 2020, in accordance with the Goodwill Policy (TWP 2006) without requesting authorization from the Lufthansa Group airline agency support service.

We ask you to strictly follow the Rules and, if necessary, to charge any difference in tariffs that may arise due to a change in the booking class or travel season in order to avoid placing ADM.

At the same time, we would like to note that in case of flight cancellation, the Flight irregularities policies of OS / LH / LX and Brussels Airlines INVOL rules continue to apply .

The current situation is a serious problem for all of us, and we hope that the new procedure will greatly facilitate our work.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The lobbying to suspend the EU261 compensation scheme for delays and cancellations under Covid19 situations is already on, but as you say the right to a complete refund due to schedule change or cancellation is still valid.
Cool. I'm in a slightly messy situation with UA ticket, but LH first flight (in turn UA coded), where LH cancelled the flight. It seems like I should be contacting LH for the refund, which I'll try - I wonder if anyone else has had this exact situation. The ticket is not yet cancelled but I'll have to do that soon I guess (LH rebooked me automatically - but I won't be travelling anyway).

On a different topic: my coworker has an LX ticket with a mix of LX and UA flights. He cancelled his ticket before all the waivers started, and he's wondering whether he can rebook without change fee, or did he give up that option when cancelling? (It was a P-fare/nonref ticket, and apparently he got some taxes back when cancelling, I don't understand the full situation.)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:30 am

UA ticket: you (or your Travel Agent) need to contact United and ask them to cancel/refund the ticket due to a flight cancellation.

LX ticket: once you have cancelled/refunded there is no way back, you have agreeed to end the transportation contract.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:00 am

What is the status on the (predicted) flight cancellations due to the USA ban on foreign travellers originating in mainland Europe? Is there an official LH page with updates on this matter? (If I understand correctly there is no exception for European crews and staff to enter the USA.)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:11 am

The standard policy applies: if you are not allowed to travel because the destination will not allow you to enter due to health reasons you are entitled to a free change or full refund.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The standard policy applies: if you are not allowed to travel because the destination will not allow you to enter due to health reasons you are entitled to a free change or full refund.
Is this LH policy or EU law?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:34 am

Its LH policy:

Lufthansa Group passengers who are affected by a cancellation will be rebooked and notified. However, you are recommended to check the status of your reservation and your flight, as well as travel and entry restrictions of your final or transit destination before the start of your journey. Travel and entry regulations might change on short notice. Detailed information can be found on the government or embassy websites of your destination. If you are unable to start your journey due to changed travel and/or entry restrictions in the context of the coronavirus, Lufthansa Group offers free rebooking or refund.
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sophialite
Alright folks. LX 38/39 has been cancelled the last two days in a row. Decided to move my trip back home next week to earlier to avoid being stranded in the US. Only had to pay 5 CHF for the privilege.

Hopefully things will clear up in 3 months. But I’m officially hanging up my spurs (heels) and moving to the beach.
Good for you. I have a beach available but the weather is crap.

You are from California aren't you? On balance, I'd rather wait it out there I think though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.