Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by supine
I have a booking for late March that almost certainly won't get used but I don't have any planned travel between that city pair for the rest of 2020 so for me this waiver is also useless.
Same here. I can only hope that they cancel my flights to get a refund.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cas_de
"In case the orginal fare is no longer available, a fare difference has to be paid."

I think the potentially misleading term here is "fare". If they use the term "booking class" it'd be a ok waiver (if you ask me). If they really mean fare then it's pretty lousy.
They do mean fare. I have tickets where the fare was pulled an I'm SOL.

The only airline with lousier rule changes due to Corona is United IYAM. I added United to my do-not-fly list. LH might be next in line.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They are going by the standard IATA rules: if the ticket has not been used, ie the first segment has not been flown, the entire ticket is recalculated as per current fare rules. If the first segment is used already, the ticket is changed and the fare as valid on the original date of issue is used. The current waiver just waives the change fee.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
What date was my flight cancelled ?

I have a booking on LH940 FRA-MAN on 20 March. I noticed on the LH app and website today that the flight has been cancelled, but I have had no email or text from LH informing me of this. I don't actually need the flight now, so a refund will be fine, but I assume I can also pursue EU261 compensation since I was not notified of the cancellation more than 14 days before the flight, but how do I find out when they cancelled it, to prove that? Or do I need to since they have not informed me more than 14 days beforehand: The EU website says "The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m#cancellation

Any ideas of where to find out exactly when a flight was removed from the schedules ?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by allycat53
I have a booking on LH940 FRA-MAN on 20 March. I noticed on the LH app and website today that the flight has been cancelled, but I have had no email or text from LH informing me of this. I don't actually need the flight now, so a refund will be fine, but I assume I can also pursue EU261 compensation since I was not notified of the cancellation more than 14 days before the flight, but how do I find out when they cancelled it, to prove that? Or do I need to since they have not informed me more than 14 days beforehand: The EU website says "The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m#cancellation

Any ideas of where to find out exactly when a flight was removed from the schedules ?
Are you sure you are entitled to EU261 compensation? Isn´t it an extraordinary circumstance?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by allycat53
I don't actually need the flight now, so a refund will be fine, but I assume I can also pursue EU261 compensation
Even if it was cancelled within the 14 day window, you can't have both, refund and compensation... the compensation only comes into play if you use the ticket and were inconvienced by the disruption to your plans.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marcin83
Are you sure you are entitled to EU261 compensation? Isn´t it an extraordinary circumstance?
It would be interesting to hear a lawyer's opinion on this.
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
Yes & since we know ticket sales have tanked & planes are flying around almost empty, one would expect the fare difference to be less not more, unless of course LH wants to profit from this disaster.....
You're actually right about this. I can see the loads and while such empty flights in normal times in a few week date range would be wide open in K and L (and remember Helga dumps crazy on the PL market) they're all in S and above. She is still losing billions buts it's clear that for the time being she is not in a bums on seat strategy quite yet.

I was surprised to be offered KLM for my cancellation this coming weekend. I thought that was for short notice on-the-day type cancellations only.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Even if it was cancelled within the 14 day window, you can't have both, refund and compensation... the compensation only comes into play if you use the ticket and were inconvienced by the disruption to your plans.
Of course, you can have refund and compensation - in case you choose not to fly anymore.

It's not an extraordinary circumstance because it is a commercial decision by LH.
Other flights still go.
NewAtlantis and allycat53 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Originally Posted by Marcin83
I don't think it is Extraordinary Circumstances - LH chose to cancel the flight, it was not weather or something outside of their control. I think case law has developed to the point where the carrier has a very high burden of proof for "extraordinary" and just saying "we don't want to run that flight because it won't make money" would not meet that burden of proof.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I believe you can have both refund and compensation if cancelled within the 14 days. If it were one or two days before and you were going for a day trip for a specific business meeting, and the cancellation meant you could not effectievly do the trip, then you would want and get a refund, and you should also get the compensation as that is what the regs require. Happy to be corrected though ...
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I was surprised to be offered KLM for my cancellation this coming weekend. I thought that was for short notice on-the-day type cancellations only.
This means that they have a reprotection agreement with KL
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
I wouldn´t say so. I was compensated once for a cancellation (I was notified 1 day before, refunded and compensated with 250 euros).
NewAtlantis and allycat53 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: LH*HON, UA*1K,
Not true! Several Courts have ruled that you don't need to fly to get the compensation which makes sense especially for long delays.
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a VERY interesting discussion with a ticketing supervisor for LH.

They have to rebook the exact same fare, never mind RBD. So in fact an L to an L can lead to extra payment. LOT are NOT doing this. An L will be swapped for L irrespective.

BUT

She said the waiver is virtually useless as LH have closed all the cheapest fare classes like K, L, T for months in advance so it's next to impossible to rebook pax for later without an upsell. This is especially the case on TA flights. Hence, many many pi$$ed pax who are not allowed to cancel either. Remember?

Profiteering? Its not exactly pax friendly. And unlike in strikes, by closing lowest RBD, this is months ahead.
NewAtlantis and Stuttgart21 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
I had a VERY interesting discussion with a ticketing supervisor for LH.

They have to rebook the exact same fare, never mind RBD. So in fact an L to an L can lead to extra payment. LOT are NOT doing this. An L will be swapped for L irrespective.

BUT

She said the waiver is virtually useless as LH have closed all the cheapest fare classes like K, L, T for months in advance so it's next to impossible to rebook pax for later without an upsell. This is especially the case on TA flights. Hence, many many pi$$ed pax who are not allowed to cancel either. Remember?

Profiteering? Its not exactly pax friendly. And unlike in strikes, by closing lowest RBD, this is months ahead.
Disgraceful but I’m not surprised, and your right going forward the cheapest tickets have disappeared on LH.com
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.