Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
Just my experience: Had a First companion fare in April to DPS. Got rebooked a few weeks ago when A380 was grounded from LH to SQ. Now we are (of course) not going in April. We wanted to rebook in May. The first agent I talked to wanted between 4.000 and 10.000 € pr. ticket for a rebooking(!) 'cause the companion fare didn't exist anymore. Called again later, talked with a supervisor which rebooked us on LX and SQ. Even SQ wasn't a problem, as long as "A" was available, no fare difference was collected.
So this is a hit and miss policy. One was charging you an exorbitant fare difference while the other went above and beyond and booked without any fare difference.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I live in the US and have a Platinum card.
It seems that AMEX has added additional "agents" to handle the high volume of calls. Unfortunately, some of them don't seem to know much about travel or non-US airlines.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
I live in the US and have a Platinum card.
It seems that AMEX has added additional "agents" to handle the high volume of calls. Unfortunately, some of them don't seem to know much about travel or non-US airlines.
That's what happens when you book through AMEX. The agents suck. Even for cent holders IME.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:40 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
charge back anong bona fide partners abusive - FFP forfeiture justified

Originally Posted by yurtripper
People on the A3 forum saying that initiating a chargeback after refund refusal risks getting your account cancelled with all miles/status forfeit (apparently it's happened to one person already).
The airlines are playing very dirty right now. This won't be forgotten.
Again, I am not aware of "refund refusals" - just got my last one cleared two days ago. If the system is physically overwhelmed there is just more time needed. I was refunded on the spot on an easy case and within 3 weeks of a partially used ticket. I am talking about LH and LX. The SEN hotline in Basel has been exemplary all the time.

I think chargeback (generally frowned upon at least with Swiss based credit cards) is abusive in the present situation as we are dealing among bona fide partners. Can only applaud FFP miles/status forfeiture for people being so hot tempered. If FFP's will still exist, there will be less elites left and more space for the remaining ones .

Greetings from a SEN lifetime .
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:08 am

I think a charge back is OK if it’s for a refund you’re otherwise entitled to (and have written evidence from the merchant of). I’ve done this numerous times previously with LHG, as well as other retailers like Net-a-Porter, where I’m still an EIP despite all of that.

I’ve also disputed a charge with BA. In this instance my flight was cancelled, the online interface is allowing me only to reclaim a credit for a future flight, and because of my lack of status getting through to a rep is proving impossible and time consuming.

If I’m banned from BA’s EC or BA altogether because of it, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:11 am

By the way, I have little sympathy for major airlines and hotels here. I have plenty of sympathy for the workers who are furloughed. But cashflow issues at these businesses is a part of the risk allocation their CEOs decided to take, and it’s biting them in the .... I think LHG is less guilty of this, but UA? AA? DL? Years upon years of share buybacks resulting in a massive wealth transfer to the management class. The chickens have come to roost. And I hope the workers can make it through this while the execs are eventually sacked. I doubt they’ll be the case, unfortunately.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by sophialite
By the way, I have little sympathy for major airlines and hotels here. I have plenty of sympathy for the workers who are furloughed. But cashflow issues at these businesses is a part of the risk allocation their CEOs decided to take, and it’s biting them in the .... I think LHG is less guilty of this, but UA? AA? DL? Years upon years of share buybacks resulting in a massive wealth transfer to the management class. The chickens have come to roost. And I hope the workers can make it through this while the execs are eventually sacked. I doubt they’ll be the case, unfortunately.
slightly off topic, but mentioning hotels... Hilton is offering free cancellations on all bookings, even fully prepaid advance purchases, 24h before stay commences, up to June 30. No questions asked. There is an article on the covid19 situation on their website containing a link directly to the special form for cancelling these stays, as the standard system doesn't allow their cancellation. Oh, and also, automatic status extension by a year for everyone, too...
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
slightly off topic, but mentioning hotels... Hilton is offering free cancellations on all bookings, even fully prepaid advance purchases, 24h before stay commences, up to June 30. No questions asked. There is an article on the covid19 situation on their website containing a link directly to the special form for cancelling these stays, as the standard system doesn't allow their cancellation. Oh, and also, automatic status extension by a year for everyone, too...
That’s excellent. Businesses that managed their cash well and can stand by their employees and customers throughout this will emerge in a dominant position. It’s a long game and only the longer term thinkers will thrive in the covid and post-covid world.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sophialite
That's what happens when you book through AMEX. The agents suck. Even for cent holders IME.
Amex Platinum is Expedia, Centurion is in house.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well will your credit cards not refund fully when your governments have issued travel advisories? I am send mine to my credit card company to refund all of my flights there are 4 altogether.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called LH from Canada. We had booked 2 tickets promo in J & F from AMS to BKK LH now wants C$1700 in fare difference for both tickets. Agent told me to wait for flight to be cancelled and then call back and I will not be charged a fare difference.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Mar 30, 2020 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Does anyone known if LH allows refunds of tickets due to changed entry requirements ? China recently prohibited any international tourists, for example. Anyone have experience in getting a refund on this grounds ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:53 pm

I have a flight with LH that is now cancelled. I was OK with free rebooking, and I thought LH was very accommodating with COVID-19 situation until I red this thread. I immediately picked the phone, called LH USA line to request refund. here is how the conversation went :

Me: Hi, I have a flight with LH that is now canceled, My booking # is ....
LH agent: Yes I can see your flight is canceled, how can I help you
Me: I would like to request a refund
LH: You have until Dec 31 2020 to use your ticket free of charge.
Me: Yes, I know that, Honestly I am reading that LH is playing nasty games with rebooking and it is better to get a refund now before it is too late.
LH: What games?
Me: I am reading that when it is time to rebook, LH will most likely charge me thousands of dollars in fare difference. A lot of people are experiencing this awful situation with LH
LH: this is a lie! rebooking is free of charge.
Me: Maybe you are right, I don't know. but let me be specific. As you can see I am holding A class ticket. When I call back in June or July to rebook and A class is available I will not be charged anything.
LH: correct, except for maybe small difference in taxes and airline surcharges. but we are offering $50 discount when you rebook so most likely that discount will take care or any taxes or fees, if any.
Me: Sounds good! I really don't care about paying an additional $50 in taxes and fees, I am worried about paying thousands of dollars in fare differences.
LH: you will not. I have to say it depends on the season as well, Flying in March is not like flying in August so you may see slight difference in fare due to seasonality but that amount would be very minimal, again if any.
Me: OK. Great! If I request a refund could you tell me how much would I get ( I already used the outbound portion of my ticket ... The return portion is canceled)
LH: I can not, It is very complex calculation and we do not do it over the phone.
Me: No problem. one last question please. If by August 31st, I still do not have a date to fly, can I still ask for a refund.
LH: absolutely! The value of your ticket is protected. Call is by August 31 to rebook or request a refund if you don't have a travel date.
Me: Ok.. Then I'll keep everything as it is and I'll call again in few months. Thanks for your help.
LH: My pleasure. have a wonderful day.
Me: you too , bye

I hope she knows what she is talking about and not making things up.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
LH has created a website where you can convert your ticket to a voucher:

https://lufthansa.flightvoucher.com/?lang=en

Big caveat (in my opinion):
You get one voucher per ticket you exchange, but you can only apply a single voucher for a new booking.
Example: I have three tickets (PNRs) to exchange and I can't get a single voucher for the value of all three tickets that I can use in the future. They will rather give me three vouchers that I cannot apply to a single new booking

https://lufthansa.flightvoucher.com/terms-of-use
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by cas_de
LH has created a website where you can convert your ticket to a voucher:

https://lufthansa.flightvoucher.com/?lang=en

Big caveat (in my opinion):
You get one voucher per ticket you exchange, but you can only apply a single voucher for a new booking.
Example: I have three tickets (PNRs) to exchange and I can't get a single voucher for the value of all three tickets that I can use in the future. They will rather give me three vouchers that I cannot apply to a single new booking

https://lufthansa.flightvoucher.com/terms-of-use
Plus: you can only use the voucher when rebooking via the customer service center, not when you book a flight yourself (e.g. a new flight). Hence, you are bound to accept the price they quote you if you want to use the voucher !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.