Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
The only fair thing is to reimburse your ticket in cash. You paid for a promotion which doesn't happen, so money back. Maybe you can snap up the promo again later, but at least like this no-one is disadvantaged.
(And no, you are not disadvantaged because you lose out on the flight, since the promo was for a certain period of time, which will be gone by the time this all is sorted out)
Yet LX is refusing to reimburse these tickets in cash.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Got rebooked to one day earlier - also NOT A BLIPP of email (but some "customer information on covid-19")
Ridiculous.

I get a feeling that the airlines mail servers are being marked as spam servers... last week I got the LH notification for bookings cancelled, but still have not received anything from Qatar who is merrily rebooking and cancelling my reservations. I tried to email myself from the QR website and didn't receive anything either.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I get a feeling that the airlines mail servers are being marked as spam servers... last week I got the LH notification for bookings cancelled, but still have not received anything from Qatar who is merrily rebooking and cancelling my reservations. I tried to email myself from the QR website and didn't receive anything either.
SMS too?

Does not affect FR, email and SMS.

LO both work too and they use Altea...LO system is very nice, texting you when your waitlist clears etc.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Yes I expect the airline to honour that fare as it was their promo. If ever that fare goes down I don't think the airline will reach out to me to give me the difference back.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: LH M+M
I was checking back SMTP header lines.. and while the helga spam (like "we care coronoa") comes through, canx emails are just zilch.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Looking at the header lines of my cancellation email it seems LH is using 15below (https://15below.com/) to send out disruption emails. The 'all we be good' came from the usual newsletter distribution service.

15below claims:

One platform for all your passenger communications

Targeted. Personalised. Automated.

Smart, yet simple to use. With direct integration with your reservation system and other data sources, you can keep connected with your customers on any device and any channel. Keeping your operations running smoothly and your customers informed
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Looking at the header lines of my cancellation email it seems LH is using 15below (https://15below.com/) to send out disruption emails. The 'all we be good' came from the usual newsletter distribution service.

15below claims:
Whatever LH is using it’s broken / not working , even as HON none of my cancelled fights were notified to me by LH
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by chris63
Whatever LH is using it’s broken / not working , even as HON none of my cancelled fights were notified to me by LH
Confirm the same. No notification for my cancelled flights on LX. I'm actually starting to think this is deliberate. My experience detailed here.

So basically:
  1. Swiss cancels my flights and provides no notification of such.
  2. Once I find out by pulling my PNR online, I call in and ask for a refund.
  3. Agent attempts to steer me towards a rebooking with an (insulting) 50 discount.
  4. I insist on the refund I'm entitled to under EC261.
  5. Agent acknowledges that a refund "is possible" but "we are not processing refunds right now." When pressed on timing, she indicates "maybe September or December". Very similar experience to what's documented here.
  6. I ask for some kind of documentation to show my flights have been cancelled so I can pursue a credit card charge back or travel insurance claim.
  7. Agent first advises me that's not possible and later just cancels my booking and sends me a form e-mail saying "Your booking has been cancelled as requested."
Now it looks like I requested the cancellation. Thankfully, I took screenshots / PDF printouts of my booking online when the flights were cancelled and hope that will suffice for the credit card company. All in all, this is extremely disingenuous and shameful on the part of LH / LX.

(Yes, I know these are tough times for all airlines, but the different approaches various carriers have taken to handle the crisis are notable.)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Confirm the same. No notification for my cancelled flights on LX. I'm actually starting to think this is deliberate. My experience detailed here.

Now it looks like I requested the cancellation. Thankfully, I took screenshots / PDF printouts of my booking online when the flights were cancelled and hope that will suffice for the credit card company. All in all, this is extremely disingenuous and shameful on the part of LH / LX.
IME chargeback is easy, they will accept what you tell them because in this case LX have an opportunity to respond, given the LX stance now is illegal it’s an open & shut case.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by capedreamer

So basically:
  1. Swiss cancels my flights and provides no notification of such.
  2. Once I find out by pulling my PNR online, I call in and ask for a refund.
  3. Agent attempts to steer me towards a rebooking with an (insulting) 50 discount.
  4. I insist on the refund I'm entitled to under EC261.
  5. Agent acknowledges that a refund "is possible" but "we are not processing refunds right now." When pressed on timing, she indicates "maybe September or December". Very similar experience to what's documented here.
  6. I ask for some kind of documentation to show my flights have been cancelled so I can pursue a credit card charge back or travel insurance claim.
  7. Agent first advises me that's not possible and later just cancels my booking and sends me a form e-mail saying "Your booking has been cancelled as requested."

(Yes, I know these are tough times for all airlines, but the different approaches various carriers have taken to handle the crisis are notable.)
I agree. How LH Group has been deceitful to its customers in this crisis is disgusting and shameful.

Remember, if your flight is canceled by any LH Group airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels, Eurowings), you are legally entitled to a full cash refund (not a voucher) back to your original form of payment, no matter what lie you are told by LH Group.

And once again, I encourage everyone whose LH Group flights are canceled now to request a full refund, unless you can rebook now with a reasonable fare difference. If you leave the ticket open now and rebook later, you (1) lose your rights to a full refund and (2) run the risk of being forced to pay a humongous amount of fare difference when time comes to rebooking, and I assure you this fare difference will be steep, given how LH Group is already trying to capitalize on this public health crisis.

Last edited by newflyer530; Mar 22, 2020 at 1:57 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:09 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
But it seems to me (in my case at least) that LH is removing flights without officially cancelling them. I suspect that if they remove the flight rather than "cancel" it, that somehow they are hoping to escape their legal obligation.

I had flights booked EWR-FRA-RIX. The FRA-RIX RIX-FRA segments have simply been removed from my online reservation. No cancellation notice. Up until yesterday, that segment was being listed as "cancelled" at lh.com ... as of today, the segment no longer exists.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
My LX flight cancelled. Called my OTA who have been very good and asked for a refund. They said that according to LX no refunds were going to be given only the voucher. I disagreed and told them they have two options:

1. Talk to LX and get my refund
2. Be prepared for a chargeback

They suggested I speak with LX directly at this stage so said thank you very much put the phone down and called AMEX to initiate a chargeback. Not wasting my time running around in circles.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Logged in, the bookings which are canceled can no longer be opened but if I use the deep link on the Reservation Confirmation email I can see the cancelled segments.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
They are clearly playing games. On a Swiss reservation, the outbound flight didn't show anymore, and there was a note: Call the reservation center.
However, when you went to "Send my e-ticket by mail", it came and showed the outbound as "cancelled".
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
My LX flight cancelled. Called my OTA who have been very good and asked for a refund. They said that according to LX no refunds were going to be given only the voucher. I disagreed and told them they have two options:

1. Talk to LX and get my refund
2. Be prepared for a chargeback

They suggested I speak with LX directly at this stage so said thank you very much put the phone down and called AMEX to initiate a chargeback. Not wasting my time running around in circles.
Same here. Called UNFCU and initiated charge back on my debit and credit cards. And also brought this to the attention of FOCA who responded and suggested that I lodge a formal complaint for their review. While I am not seeking any compensation, I definitely want this to be brought to the attention of regulatory bodies.
Out of curiosity, I looked at some options to rebook my cancelled flight (a simple GVA-FMO via FRA or MUC) for October. The usual K-base fare has been ca. 200-210 CHF for the flights departing in the afternoon. And now these are only available in S/V and above. The same for GVA-LWO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.