Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I certainly hope you are right because I have a LH ticket from March 2020 (currently put on hold as the flights back in July were cancelled) that I would like to rebook later and use for summer 2021.
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/exte...ooking-options

2. Your ticket was issued before or on August 31, 2020:

a) You may generally rebook your ticket once without incurring a fee (your personal fare conditions may also allow multiple rebookings without incurring a fee). Due to fare differences, an additional payment to a higher fare may be required. The rebooking must be made prior to the originally scheduled travel date.
You can make your rebooking easily and quickly yourself under "My bookings" or contact your travel agent.

b) You do not have to commit to a future travel date yet. Your ticket will retain its value and you can use it for a new trip with a travel start date by December 31, 2021.
To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent by May 31, 2021 and have your ticket number(s) ready

c) A change of class of carriage, departure or destination airport is possible once free of charge*. The ticket will be recalculated for this trip. Surcharges may apply for the higher class of carriage or route. Rebooking with change of class of carriage or departure/destination airport must be made prior to the original travel date. To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent by May 31, 2021 and have your ticket number(s) ready.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no fare difference for cancelled flights. It's free of charge.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's no fare difference for cancelled flights. It's free of charge.
It doesn't really matter:

If one or more flights of your trip are cancelled, you have the following options:

1. You can rebook once free of charge on an alternative flight to the same destination and in the same class of carriage. The rebooking must be made within the period of ticket validity (usually one year from the original departure date).
To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent as soon as possible.

2. If your ticket was issued before or on August 31, 2020, a one-time change of class of carriage, departure or destination airport is possible*. Your ticket will still retain its value and you can use it for a new trip departing by Dec. 31, 2021. The ticket will be recalculated for this trip. Rebooking fees may apply, as well as surcharges to the higher class of travel or route, if applicable.
To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent by May 31, 2021.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I C. So there is a 1-year deadline for rebooking a cancelled flights. I can live with that; as long as I don't need to travel before same deadline.

But ticket validity is 1 year from ticket issue, right? Not from 1 year from original departure date.
Keter likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I C. So there is a 1-year deadline for rebooking a cancelled flights. I can live with that; as long as I don't need to travel before same deadline.

But ticket validity is 1 year from ticket issue, right? Not from 1 year from original departure date.
Yes, it's 1 year from ticket issue; however, tickets purchased before 31 August 2020 could have the validity extended for travel until 31 December 2021.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dear ISTFlyer we are talking about deadline for rebooking the flights; not allowed travel period for rebooked tickets (from before 31 AUG 2020)
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Dear ISTFlyer we are talking about deadline for rebooking the flights; not allowed travel period for rebooked tickets (from before 31 AUG 2020)
I think the regular policy is still until 15 days after the change/cancellation notice, however, I was successful in rebooking tickets beyond the 15 days mark and pull them back from the refund queue.

My recent cancellations ( post-COVID ) have a remark "Please choose one of the above options or contact our Service Center by Day 15 after the E-mail was Sent for all other changes or questions to avoid possible cancellation of your current booking."

I was successful in changing one of my tickets while it was in the refund queue and the refund wasn't processed yet which was a month or two after that I received the cancellation notice from Lufthansa. However, I guess once you don't take action and once the refund is processed, there is no way to turn the ticket back in valid status. I generally call the LH hotline 360 days before my new intended dates to avoid this issue, however, as Lufthansa's refund process is quite slow, I don't think there would be issues if you wait longer.

Also to clarify, I am not talking about the €50 extra voucher option that was previously offered in 2020, I am talking about changing a ticket that was issued before 31 August 2020 and rebooking for 2021.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite confident that currently there is no 15 days deadline with LH for rebooking cancelled flights. The question is if the current deadline is 1 year of ticket issue to contact LH with new travel dates/for rebooking of cancelled flights (same route, no change of service class etc) or it is 1 year from original travel date as per info from LH webpage as quoted by cas_de above
Keter likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite confident that currently there is no 15 days deadline with LH for rebooking cancelled flights. The question is if the current deadline is 1 year of ticket issue to contact LH with new travel dates/for rebooking of cancelled flights (same route, no change of service class etc) or it is 1 year from original travel date as per info from LH webpage as quoted by cas_de above
Yes, there is no 15 day deadline for rebooking, however, if you don't take action within those 15 days, your ticket automatically goes to the refund queue.
You are able to pull it from the refund queue and rebook the ticket until LH has processed the refund. It takes months for Lufthansa to process refunds so it's highly normal that someone could rebook his ticket months after his ticket was cancelled as the refund hasn't been processed yet. That's how I interpret the situation from what I understand from the e-mails that Lufthansa have sent and what the hotline agents told me.

For your question about if the deadline is 1 year after ticket issue or 1 year from original travel date; I can't answer that question as I didn't have any LH tickets purchased before 31 August 2019 and travel after March 2020 which was cancelled due to COVID.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The goodwill policy has been updated:
Oh this is good news!

But even after reading through the full policy on LH's website, I'm not 100% sure how my case will be treated.

This was a P fare ticket from OSL to BKK originally booked in January 2020 for travel in September 2020. After several cancellations and rebookings, it was ultimately rebooked in October 2020 for April 2021. At this point:

1. If I want to rebook it to a later date, do I still have to do this by January 31 or can until anytime before departure?
2. If I want to rebook it to a later date, how far out can I push it?
3. If I want to rebook it to a later date, must P-space be available to not incur any fare difference?
4. If I want to receive a full refund, must I wait until the April flights are cancelled?

One particular thing that's leading to my confusion is "The date of issue of the ticket is always considered the date of issue of the current valid ticket. If the ticket has not been reissued yet, this date is considered the date of issue. If the ticket has already been reissued, this date is considered the date of reissue." (Which does not seem to appear on the LH website.) In my case, will my ticket be considered issued before or after August 31, 2020?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the LH website info your Oct 2020 reissued ticket will be considered as issued on or after 31 AUG (based on the website info, nothing else - I as well was confused by this info)

1. Anytime until departure
2. Idk
3. Yes
4. Yes
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The goodwill policy has been updated:
Do you understand it? - I unfortunately don't, and it looks like nobody else here has clarity either.

Why why why, can't they write clearly?
R2, Dave_C, Keter and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:33 pm
R2

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
Do you understand it? - I unfortunately don't, and it looks like nobody else here has clarity either.

Why why why, can't they write clearly?
+1. Whoever wrote this bit must have perfected his/her communications skills deep in a government bureaucracy:

The date of issue of the ticket is always considered the date of issue of the current valid ticket. If the ticket has not been reissued yet, this date is considered the date of issue. If the ticket has already been reissued, this date is considered the date of reissue.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:46 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Indeed good news. I believe the following is essential/important info:

The date of issue of the ticket is always considered the date of issue of the current valid ticket. If the ticket has not been reissued yet, this date is considered the date of issue. If the ticket has already been reissued, this date is considered the date of reissue.
Depends on the airlines. From what i have seen there are two options in order not to confuse the original issue date with reissue dates:

1) First issue is the 'original issue'. Reissue is another issue.
2) First issue is the 'issue. Reissued ticket is 'reissued'.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
From what was sent to agents I can see they only updated the Goodwill policy, they did not really make any changes to cancelled flights (temporary regulations). However, they did update the information on cancelled flights options on the LH website clearly saying that free of charge/ no fare difference class to class rebooking is only available within the ticket validity.

However, what is the ticket validity in this case is an open question. If anyone can get clarity from LH Group directly please post here, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.