Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 22, 7:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oliver2002
Wiki Link
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 2, 20, 11:47 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cas_de View Post
If a flight is canceled you can get a refund. There is even a website that where you can trigger the refund:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/canc...ns-and-refunds

-> To online cancellation
The part that worries me about going this route is whether or not they will offer a full refund if we're to go this route since it mentions they will refund the applicable amount based on the fare rules of the ticket. The fare rules of the ticket mentions it's non-refundable/changeable but the reason for the refund request is because they cancelled a flight and rebooked the reservation via FRA and MUC instead of just FRA. I believe a full refund is due to the flight cancellation but not sure if I trust going this route versus speaking to a CSR over the phone.
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Andaz View Post
Same here.
My flighs are cancelled 100% (all of them) and I can "request a refund" online, there is even a button and the total amount paid.
But I don't trust Lufthansa so I will keep trying to get through on the phone instead, gonna give em a call 07.00 AM and hope for the best. Trying now will only get your call "parked" and nothing happens after like 20 minutes.
Right, I've been able to get in the queue multiple times but once it hits the one hour marker, you stop hearing the recorded messages which might be a sign that you're no longer in the queue.
Old Jul 2, 20, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So I submitted my chargeback with my bank. Now LH sends me this note, keep in mind I have been waiting since April 22 for a refund.

LH's response:

We would like to bring to your attention that over the past weeks, we have adjusted our rebooking options to provide you with more flexibility in regards to your future travel plans.

Your rebooking options:

In light of the current situation, Lufthansa is offering flexible rebooking options for all fares or a voucher option.

You may rebook your ticket until January 31, 2021 to a new departure date which commences no later than December 31, 2021

Tickets may be rebooked directly via our website or our service teams.

We are now offering you the additional option of securing the value of your ticket for future travel.

You can convert your ticket into a voucher and redeem this at any time. Furthermore, we`ll provide you with an additional 50 discount voucher for further travel if you make your new booking before August 31, 2020 for a departure date in 2020. (*)

This applies to all tickets issued prior to May 16, 2020. This is the way to your FLIGHT VOUCHER

If a refund remains your preferred option, you dont have to take any action and you can disregard this email.

Open refund requests will be processed in the next 6-8 weeks. Due to high volumes, we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding for the processing delay.

In the meantime, we want to thank you for your trust in the Lufthansa Group during these challenging times! We hope we can welcome you back on board soon!

(*) subject to the condition compliance

Kind regards
Lufthansa German Airlines
Old Jul 2, 20, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
LH's response:

Kind regards
Lufthansa German Airlines
lol

This behaviour by LH / LX would be downright comical if it weren't so frustrating for folks like you, me, and @Tafflyer. Sigh. More sigh.
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andaz View Post
I got the same email and I have been waiting 2 months longer than you for my refund.
I hate LH, I hate LH, I hate LH is all I think about on a daily basis.

It's gonna take some time before I buy another LH ticket again.
Stop being so hard on yourself. LH's strategy is so wrong on many levels. TP and A3 gave me vouchers even though I could have asked for a refund but I accepted their vouchers as I can use them for next year.
I asked LH to reschedule my flights for April 2021 and was told no way, you pay more or else leave in Jan 2021. And that's why I started a chargeback to get my money back after waiting since April 22.
But whats interesting is that they refunded my 150 euro tickets but not the ones that cost CAD$2200 each.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:49 pm

My flights in September with LH and LX to Greece got cancelled. I was automatically rebooked, but my outbound flight now included an overnight connection, and my inbound flights had the two segments inverted timewise (i.e. in the absence of a time machine, that wasn't going to work). I called the helpline and after a short five minute wait the helpful operator rebooked me into much more acceptable choices. Note that my flights had originally been booked via an OTA.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
BER ? You mean Berlin or Bergen? Presumably the first.

Under current rules you will not be be allowed to change origin to Berlin. You need to rebook the ticket; LX will waive the rebooking fee but you need to pay the up-fare/fare difference. Obviously, fares from DE are much more expensive than ex OSl flights.

There is little point in rebooking flight for September already now. Numerous schedule changes and cancellations will occur before your travel date so wait until close to your travel date to have this sorted out.
I received an e-mail from LH telling me I have until Jul 20 to (1) accept the inconvenient new schedule they defaulted me into (which I don't want to because of the very long layover), (2) not respond and allow the ticket to be cancelled and retain the value of the ticket for a future use (which is not ideal because this was a cheap P fare), or (3) call the service center to have it rebooked (which I would prefer).

I've tried the German, US, and UK call centers repeatedly over the past few days, calling as early as 8am CET (for Germany) and 8am ET (for US), waiting over 60 minutes on a few occasions. What's going on with these wait times? I recall having a much easier time reaching LH even a couple months ago...
Old Jul 6, 20, 8:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
. What's going on with these wait times? I recall having a much easier time reaching LH even a couple months ago...
LH & co just cleaned up their schedule to the end of the summer 2020 (October 31). Considering their are only operating 50% of their original schedule this means they have rebooked/cancelled about 10-12 million reservations in 10 days. They are expecting to have to refund about 1.2-1.8 bn over the next three months from this wave alone. That would explain the overloaded call centers
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 20, 8:38 am

That's really a lot of K and L class tickets.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
LH & co just cleaned up their schedule to the end of the summer 2020 (October 31). Considering their are only operating 50% of their original schedule this means they have rebooked/cancelled about 10-12 million reservations in 10 days. They are expecting to have to refund about 1.2-1.8 bn over the next three months from this wave alone. That would explain the overloaded call centers
I was anticipating something like this. Makes sense. Hopefully the lines will free up a bit by July 20. Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
I'm just looking at the route network slides from LH Experts showing all the destinations for LH/LX/OS/EW/SN up to the end of October this year...

I know it says "subject to change", but I already found a whole lot of bookable flights which, according to the slides, shouldn't be there... For example, AMM (not on the slides at all) and LCY from September instead of October. There are plenty more examples.

Should I assume that flights which are on LH.com up to the end of October, and which are bookable, are now planned to operate ? Or should I believe the slides ?

Last edited by FlyerLX; Jul 6, 20 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 6, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: TK Elite
I have a LH ticket (booked on LH.com) to BOG later this week. All segments cancelled. As I understand it there is no need to call LH prior to original travel date but I can deal with it later (once I have decided whether to refund or rebook the ticket for 2021). Correct?
Old Jul 6, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
I have a LH ticket (booked on LH.com) to BOG later this week. All segments cancelled. As I understand it there is no need to call LH prior to original travel date but I can deal with it later (once I have decided whether to refund or rebook the ticket for 2021). Correct?
My understanding is that LH "ask" that you contact them by 31/01/2021, and that, if rebooking, your new outbound travel date would need to be on or before 31/12/2021.
Old Jul 8, 20, 9:02 am

Programs: TK Elite
I just checked that the booking class and fare is available for my new preferred travel dates in FEB 2021, but how to convince LH to change POD from AMS to HAM (within 250 miles) without recalculating the fare? Obviously, the fare ex HAM is higher than ex AMS (but the same booking class is also available from HAM, so formally it will be the same RBD)
Old Jul 8, 20, 9:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
The 250 miles change thing is only for short notice (+/-3days) irregs to get you home, not for long term changes.

Search this Thread