Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Whats the strategy behind this, I mean zeroing out all classes?
The strategy behind this is that they wait until 15-16 days before departure to cancel those flights, both in order not for everyone to call the hotline at the same time and to delay the refund of canceled flights.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Whats the strategy behind this, I mean zeroing out all classes?
The LH Group transports ~10 million passengers each month. You can't just push a button and cancel two weeks in the schedule in one go, the algorithms would go nuts trying to rebook everyone and the subsequent queueing of reservations to the various issung offices will overload everyone. The system was never designed to cancel 95% of the schedule for week after week...
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be nowhere near 10m for April and all the other months it’s going closer and closer to 0 given how much we now know about advance purchases.

They completely shut down OS and SN in the system.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
COVID & Award bookings:

Are award bookings handled the same way revenue bookings are treated these days (rebooking etc.) or is canceling the award and make a new award booking once things clear up the only way forward?

We have a 4 pax award itin Germany to Canada in late May that got one segment axed, because AC has suspended the route temporarily. Let's leave the whole travel restrictions and quarantine requirements aside for the moment. The orginal tickets were booked in July last year so the max validity of the ticket would be July this year. We will need to postpone the trip until next year anyways.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by cas_de
COVID & Award bookings:

Are award bookings handled the same way revenue bookings are treated these days (rebooking etc.) or is canceling the award and make a new award booking once things clear up the only way forward?

We have a 4 pax award itin Germany to Canada in late May that got one segment axed, because AC has suspended the route temporarily. Let's leave the whole travel restrictions and quarantine requirements aside for the moment. The orginal tickets were booked in July last year so the max validity of the ticket would be July this year. We will need to postpone the trip until next year anyways.
By my previous experience (from approx 2 years ago), award bookings were handled differently and they just return miles and taxes.
But it may be different now.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The LH Group transports ~10 million passengers each month. You can't just push a button and cancel two weeks in the schedule in one go, the algorithms would go nuts trying to rebook everyone and the subsequent queueing of reservations to the various issung offices will overload everyone. The system was never designed to cancel 95% of the schedule for week after week...
Oliver I get all of that, as a small consumer all I care about is will I get my money back, I am not concerned about their zeroing out all classes, just tell me as a customer yes your flight is cancelled as I as a consumer have to deal with multiple other airlines to re-jig my bookings.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by robertr
Had a Mini Round The World for 25/6/20-23/07/20 booked SYD-SIN-ZRH-BUD-FRA-LAX-SYD x 2pax( business class)

My Sydney Travel Agent rang me on Monday & advised that Lufthansa would not charge cancellation fees.

So I cancelled & rebooked for 1 Sept 2020 - 1 Oct 2020 SYD-SIN-FRA-BUD-FRA-LAX-SYD ( only difference was ZRH was changed to FRA)

For the convenience I had to pay an extra $890.32AUD = 445.16 x 2 Pax

​​​​​​Explanation was fare increase plus increase in taxes.

1. Is that correct that Lufthansa can gouge me the additional cost?
2. If corona virus is still in full swing in September 2020 am I protected by Lufthansa & able to reschedule once again and or probably more wisely obtain a credit on this rescheduled booking?
Many Thanks
Further to the above should Lufthansa not be operational in September and if my Travel Agent is no longer in business can I deal directly with Lufthansa to discuss my options.
My concern is that Luthansa will not deal with me directly and I will not have my Travel Agent be able to renegotiate my booking.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just call LH and say your flight was cancelled and you want a refund. They will cancel the reseravtion and queue it to the department that does the refunds.
I did this. They have accepted a refund. And told me it will take several months....
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Marsalforn
I did this. They have accepted a refund. And told me it will take several months....
So give them 7 days as required under EU law, then do a chargeback on your credit card.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Money from two AmEx chargebacks landed in my account last Thursday. MXP tickets which had been cancelled in early-March.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:47 am

I have a Vacation booking at the 15th of May to Houston from Dusseldorf via Frankfurt. I think it is best to postpone my trip to the first week of September or next year April/May.

So I called Lufthansa and asked if they could re-book to 5th of September and they said the could do that and i get a 75 euro voucher and only had to pay 200 euro per ticket extra after the voucher. Now he says that if I don't want to pay extra I need to wait when the flight gets cancelled then I can get a full refund or a re-booking free of charge.

So my questions that he could not answer is when are the flights getting cancelled (1 week before, 1 day before..)?
And what does the rebooking free of charge mean. Only that exact same trip on the same days so Friday to Thursday or can I change does days. I now have a part via the u train can i edit that part? (It was the same price for u train and short flight but i thought i preferred train but parking at airport is cheaper then at trainstation and the Luggage situation is not ideal)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:55 am

When you make a chargeback the money is actually credited to your account immediately. There then starts a 60 day process where AMEX will request the merchant to either provide evidence to dispute the chargeback (which if AMEX accept as reasonable then the credit to your account will be reversed) or to accept the chargeback (the credit to your account stays and you never hear anything).

Personally I don't expect Lufthansa to dispute the chargebacks (essentially there is no valid reason unless the flights were not actually cancelled).
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Personally I don't expect Lufthansa to dispute the chargebacks (essentially there is no valid reason unless the flights were not actually cancelled).
Given they are processing your refund they certainly do have grounds to dispute the chargeback.

There is also the non-refundable penalty charged to the merchant when you do a chargeback. Hitting the airline with more of these seems counterproductive in the current situation.

Whether they have the time or desire to dispute the chargeback given the cirumstances is a whole other question...
athome likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by Dave Sen
I have a Vacation booking at the 15th of May to Houston from Dusseldorf via Frankfurt. I think it is best to postpone my trip to the first week of September or next year April/May.

So I called Lufthansa and asked if they could re-book to 5th of September and they said the could do that and i get a 75 euro voucher and only had to pay 200 euro per ticket extra after the voucher. Now he says that if I don't want to pay extra I need to wait when the flight gets cancelled then I can get a full refund or a re-booking free of charge.

So my questions that he could not answer is when are the flights getting cancelled (1 week before, 1 day before..)?
And what does the rebooking free of charge mean. Only that exact same trip on the same days so Friday to Thursday or can I change does days. I now have a part via the u train can i edit that part? (It was the same price for u train and short flight but i thought i preferred train but parking at airport is cheaper then at trainstation and the Luggage situation is not ideal)
The flights usually get cancelled about 14-15 days in advance. Once any segment of your trip is cancelled you can ask Lufthansa to rebook you (free of charge) onto any other day in the next 330 days or one year from date your ticket was issued. Or ask for the entire trip to be refunded without penalty.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by supine
Given they are processing your refund they certainly do have grounds to dispute the chargeback.
They certainly don't. The timeline to process the refunds is 7 days according to European law. After that number of days has elapsed, the chargeback is hardly disputable, especially if they admitted themselves that a refund was in order.

​​​​
Dave_C and cbourl like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.