Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH has done a 180 on the refund and now is allowing it again but only via the BSP link.

LUFTHANSA Group: Update of airline returns and exchanges policy in connection with COVID-19

March 25, 2020The spread of coronavirus in the last few days and weeks is affecting the lives of people around the world, and air carriers are also suffering an unprecedented degree. The Lufthansa Group faces daily and hourly financial challenges. In the light of current events, we are doing everything possible to best deal with this crisis with you. But for this we need your support

As we reported earlier, Lufthansa Group airlines now offer flexible and free rebooking options , which also apply to NOSHOW tickets.

We can offer our passengers to reissue tickets for free and under more favorable conditions until August 31, 2020 inclusive . Thanks to new features, it will be more convenient for passengers to plan their future trips.
  • No need to immediately select an alternative date or route for a new flight.
  • The ticket price will not change, and customers will receive a discount or bonus in the amount of 50 euros / 50 US dollars / 50 Swiss francs when reissuing
  • If the tickets are reissued at the agency, your travel agency will also receive a bonus of 10 euros for each reissued ticket
You can learn more about the rules for reissuing tickets here.

For passengers who do not want to rebook their tickets, you can request a refund through the Refund Application in the BSP link . In countries where there is no BSP, a return request is made according to the standard email procedure. We ask you to be sympathetic to the fact that in the current situation it is impossible to process requests for refunds at normal times.

The refund process in the reservation systems, on the websites of the Lufthansa Group airlines and on the website lhgroup-agent.com is temporarily changed. Refunds already processed will be delayed.

In these difficult times, the Lufthansa Group airlines depend, among other things, on your support as partners. We understand that the consequences of coronavirus affect not only our industry, we are sorry that we are forced to take such measures.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
file_147516.pdf (343.2 KB, 133 views)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you check the document you posted, when the fare is higher (which I bet it will be...) it’s still €50 discount and the difference to be paid. “For free” in the text is misleading, it refers just to rebooking fees.

Price for original ticket is EUR 1000 (FRA-JFK-FRA).
Passenger was originally booked and already flew FRA-JFK 20FEB20 and return flight is booked JFK-FRA 20APR20, ticket was issued 03JAN20.
Passenger wishes to change return flight to a new date (prior to 31DEC20). New price is EUR 1300 (repriced with historical fares/past date pricing)
Fare difference of EUR 300 (1300-1000=300) will be discounted by EUR 50. Fare difference is higher than EUR 50.
Additional collection amount EUR 250 to the customer (300-50=250).
And giving a statutory bound refund...the angels are praising LH for following the Law.

A weak policy compared to Basia.

There must be a difference of cancelled flights vs a waiver who pax who don’t fancy flying in the near future. The two are different and should never be conjoined unless the policy takes the higher irregularities policy for cancellations.

And can I point out how nasty and scammy it is to do fare for fare. Shafting everyone who bought those 2for1 tickets in A Class. Even when LOT were doing it on fare they did as RBD compared to RBD, not the fare calc!

Forgot this beauty...

At least one of the tickets (original or new) must have a base fare (without taxes/fees/surcharges) higher than EUR50/CHF50/USD50. This means: If both tickets (original and new) have a base fare of EUR50/CHF50/USD50 or less, then no discount is applicable.

Last edited by hugolover; Mar 25, 2020 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: A3 Silver
What is a BSP link?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by montezume
What is a BSP link?
What the TAs use allowing them to issue the refund inside their own system. LH had turned it off to stop them from issuing refunds.

It doesn’t affect you if you booked direct except for the slight chance they might not force you to a voucher now. Nothing has changed from the policy that refunds can take months.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH has done a 180 on the refund and now is allowing it again but only via the BSP link.
Maybe related, but FWIW, Swiss is now also acknowledging that there are some legal obligations here:

Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Just to be sure I understand this part correctly:

"If you hold a ticket for a cancelled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away. Existing bookings will initially be cancelled, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be extended to a new departure date up to and including 31 December 2020. You can also rebook to another destination. The new flight must be booked until 31 August 2020."

Basically; I can not take my flight on Saturday (still showing as operating) and rebook the flight later? As they are so busy?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes they have waived the no-show penalties, so agents can reactivate tickets that you didn't show up for later and rebook you.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:11 am

So this looks like some progress at least.

For those with cancelled bookings, the remaining item is Now to ensure that the LH Group will rebook free of charge. I’ve got some flights in May that I suspect will be cancelled so will wait to see what happens with those.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
There's some political pressure behind the scenes from the consumer side. Expect there to be some movement from airlines re: refunds soon, especially if on EU level there is any further clarifications on refund timelines beyond the interpretative guidelines the Commission released last week. The changes in last day seem to be a recognition by LH group at least that they are about to be pressured from legal side to make sure customers can get refunds they are entitled to if airline cancels their flight. There is pushback against airline attempts to get EU to change law to be allowed to issue vouchers only, which convert to cash after a year (ie March 2021) if not used.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:29 am

Well, if you look at what happened in France - https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ex-france.html - I doubt if consumers really will come out ahead at the end of this.

Anybody knows about other instances of similar deals between airlines and credit card companies?

I fully understand that airlines are in a very difficult situation because - on top of not flying - their business model of interest free credit by getting paid way before delivering their service now disappears and strangles them. However, customers go through tough times as well and trying to change laws retroactively to the customer's disadvantage is in my view not acceptable.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The ticket price will not change, and customers will receive a discount or bonus in the amount of 50 euros / 50 US dollars / 50 Swiss francs when reissuing

This means no fare difference to pay?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:17 am

I tweeted Lufthansa yesterday to ask why there is no option to rebook or cancel online, especially considering that the call centres are overwhelmed right now. I received the following reply: 'Due to technical challenges a rebooking is currently only possible by telephone. A possibility of rebooking online according to the new rules is already in progress '
Hopefully they will get this sorted out soon...
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
The ticket price will not change, and customers will receive a discount or bonus in the amount of 50 euros / 50 US dollars / 50 Swiss francs when reissuing

No, you must pay the fare difference. The waiver is merely a rebooking fee waiver and making Light fares rebookable They are violating the law if your flight was cancelled.

The 50 EUR discount only kicks in if the following criteria are met:

At least one of the tickets (original or new) must have a base fare (without taxes/fees/surcharges) higher than EUR50/CHF50/USD50. This means: If both tickets (original and new) have a base fare of EUR50/CHF50/USD50 or less, then no discount is applicable.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: AC E75K
Update: Swiss just added this to its refund page's FAQ section (well, I'm 99% sure it wasn't there yesterday):

Is a refund still possible?

Refunds are of course still possible. However, we ask for your understanding that due to the high volume of requests, it is not possible to process refunds within the usual time limits. Our priority is now with passengers who are travelling within the next 72 hours. Please contact the Service center at a later date for refund requests.
"Of course" <- lol
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

Originally Posted by hugolover
No, you must pay the fare difference. The waiver is merely a rebooking fee waiver and making Light fares rebookable
So the information quoted by djjaguar64 is carelessly drafted, or perhaps requires wider context?

Your interpretation suggests The ticket price means the value of the original ticket. That is what remains the same: the cost of the rebooked ticket can shimmy its way upwards, or, I guess, could conceivably drop (and pigs might fly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.