Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
People on the A3 forum saying that initiating a chargeback after refund refusal risks getting your account cancelled with all miles/status forfeit (apparently it's happened to one person already).

The airlines are playing very dirty right now. This won't be forgotten.

Last edited by yurtripper; Mar 23, 2020 at 8:05 pm Reason: Removed poorly worded and confusing last paragraph.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have now found flights in August from AMS to BKK without any fare difference but the issue is I cannot get in touch with LH to make the change.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by hugolover
Logged in, the bookings which are canceled can no longer be opened but if I use the deep link on the Reservation Confirmation email I can see the cancelled segments.
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
They are clearly playing games. On a Swiss reservation, the outbound flight didn't show anymore, and there was a note: Call the reservation center.
However, when you went to "Send my e-ticket by mail", it came and showed the outbound as "cancelled".
The GDS are currently completely overloaded and the processing is totally backlogged. When LH cut 25, 50, 75 and in the 95% of their schedule it seems the data overload broke some circuit breakers. On top of that other airlines are cancelling at the same time so it is getting worse. EK cancelling all their flights within 3 days seems to be the ultimate stress test. It seems they have been asked to cancel in batches. The GDS was never designed to work with >80% of flights loaded in the system to be wiped out in such a short time. If you factor in the situation that a reservation is usually mirrored in another GDS because the booking agent doesn't use the native CRS of the airline its a perfect storm.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:45 pm

Whoa, they actually have old-style circuit breakers on their IT systems? I'm seriously impressed. Maybe this is what Cruz used to take down BA systems while wearing his Hi-Viz jacket.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition we offer you for every rebooked ticket a discount of 50€ on the ticket price. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.

The wording here is really confusing, so if you rebook to the same destination and the new fare has now gone up you will not need to pay the fare difference? You only pay the fare difference if you change your destination?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I just re-read EC261/2004 Article 8 and am now even more surprised to learn that LH / LX are playing this game. Here is the relevant language (emphasis mine):

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
How does this indefinite 'delay' fit into that seven-day rule?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
In addition we offer you for every rebooked ticket a discount of 50€ on the ticket price. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.

The wording here is really confusing, so if you rebook to the same destination and the new fare has now gone up you will not need to pay the fare difference? You only pay the fare difference if you change your destination?
Just confirmed with the LH call center that the fare difference for "different fare" at time of rebooking still applies, even under the new rebooking policy with the 50eur discount. This essentially means even a K class --> K class rebooking could still result in fare difference collection, if the K fare at time of rebooking is higher than your historical K fare.

Once again, I encourage everyone whose LH Group flights are canceled now to request a full refund, unless you can rebook now with a reasonable fare difference. If you leave the ticket open now and rebook later, you (1) lose your rights to a full refund and (2) run the risk of being forced to pay a humongous amount of fare difference when time comes to rebooking. LH Group seems to have already deliberately blocked many lower fare buckets (e.g., K/L/T and in some cases P) months into the future just so they can comfortably penalize customers who are desperate to rebook now when virtually no one is willing/able to travel. I can imagine availability will only get worse when flight operations are back to normal. Yes, LH needs cash right now, but who doesn't? LH has already applied for state aid in several countries and I just cannot comprehend its greed in penalizing customers in this public health crisis.

So get your money back while you still can and save yourself from future loss and stress
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
People on the A3 forum saying that initiating a chargeback after refund refusal risks getting your account cancelled with all miles/status forfeit (apparently it's happened to one person already).

Also, some travel insurers are telling people that they have to go through CC chargeback before claiming on the insurance. Absolute rot but I understand why they're telling people that!
I guess that would be a danger in making a chargeback.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately you cannot get through to them.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:23 pm

Not sure about the source of this. All I see is the speculation of one FT poster.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Whoa, they actually have old-style circuit breakers on their IT systems? I'm seriously impressed. Maybe this is what Cruz used to take down BA systems while wearing his Hi-Viz jacket.
Of course they don't have CBs, I was using an analogy...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Lufthansa have gotten wind of us using European and US DOT rules to push for refunds within 7 days. Here's a statement I just saw from them on the
(bolding mine):

"Hi, here's our statement: "Refunds continue to remain possible. Our service centers, however, are at present giving priority to necessary rebookings and the coordination of repatriation flights. We are also aware of the legal situation, and refunds of course continue to remain possible. We kindly ask for your understanding that due to the current situation it is not possible to uphold the usual deadlines."

This, to me, seems like LH is throwing down the gauntlet and betting that regulators will turn a blind eye to their (in)action.

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I just re-read EC261/2004 Article 8 and am now even more surprised to learn that LH / LX are playing this game. Here is the relevant language (emphasis mine):

How does this indefinite 'delay' fit into that seven-day rule?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Of course they don't have CBs, I was using an analogy...
Haha I know that
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The GDS are currently completely overloaded and the processing is totally backlogged. When LH cut 25, 50, 75 and in the 95% of their schedule it seems the data overload broke some circuit breakers. On top of that other airlines are cancelling at the same time so it is getting worse. EK cancelling all their flights within 3 days seems to be the ultimate stress test. It seems they have been asked to cancel in batches. The GDS was never designed to work with >80% of flights loaded in the system to be wiped out in such a short time. If you factor in the situation that a reservation is usually mirrored in another GDS because the booking agent doesn't use the native CRS of the airline its a perfect storm.
What about the scams Helga is up to? Please comment on the LH scam for refunds and irregularities. I’d be interested to hear your view. I’m sure you’ve got one.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:16 am

All airlines of any size have suspended refunding tickets, the amadeus TA forum is full of confused agents... Every airline is giving out these vouchers now, EK is the only one who is offering 720 day vouchers. Something must have happened last week on a IATA level because the block has been implemented on the BSP, which is the clearing house for all tickets issued by IATA airlines & agents.
LondonElite and progapanda like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.