Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Hmmm... I'm a bit confused. Doesn't this say cancellations due to COVID19 are considered extraordinary (emphasis mine)?
Why are you confused? These texts relate to EC261/2004 article 7 compensation payments. But we are talking here about EC261/2004 article 8 free refund rules. These article 8 rules cannot be waived away due to extraordinary circumstances.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you hold a ticket for a cancelled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away.
What a load of bull from Lufthansa.
If LH cancelled a flight, the passenger has the right for a free rebooking (no change fee, no fare difference, nothing) to a date of her choosing.
Dave_C, chris63, Keter and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by warakorn
Why are you confused? These texts relate to EC261/2004 article 7 compensation payments. But we are talking here about EC261/2004 article 8 free refund rules. These article 8 rules cannot be waived away due to extraordinary circumstances.
Yes, I understand the outcome is no compensation is due, but I was confused by the direct contradiction in the rationale — whether no compensation is due because these are extraordinary circumstances or precisely because they are not extraordinary circumstances):

Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a load of bull from Lufthansa.
If LH cancelled a flight, the passenger has the right for a free rebooking (no change fee, no fare difference, nothing) to a date of her choosing.
I agree with you. In my case, the first filed fare for FRA-EDI is 20 APR. LH chose to cancel these flights for commercial reasons. That's their decision. Not mine. To then say to the pax encouraged to not ask for a refund you need to pay for a new travel date is absurd and illegal.

EC261 clearly states that the first available flight at the pax's choosing. First available, is many weeks away, maybe months, on many routes.

They want to KEEP pax's cash but they also want MORE cash by closing the cheapest buckets AND they want the taxpayer to bail them out.

For weeks now cancelled flights get NO NOTIFICATION whatsoever by email or text message. Absolutely nothing.

These situations really show which Members have their head in a very dark Helga place by their lack of even a single criticism of LH's policy... I thought that was a reserve of the BArb forum, Comrades.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by newflyer530
Just confirmed with the LH call center that the fare difference for "different fare" at time of rebooking still applies, even under the new rebooking policy with the 50eur discount. This essentially means even a K class --> K class rebooking could still result in fare difference collection, if the K fare at time of rebooking is higher than your historical K fare.
Wow that's pathetic, the way the read 'similar'. Any hope its just a specific agent issue? I tend to agree that in case of cancelled flights this is a complete customer misleading that shall be called illegal.

In addition we offer you for every rebooked ticket a discount of 50€ on the ticket prize. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Legally speaking, LH owes you a full refund.
However, UA may help you to receive that full refund much quicker.
The airline who issued the ticket manages customer relations, ie cash collection, refunds and changes. UA in this case. The operating airlines will get their money depending on their contracts with the ticketing carrier, normally after a segment is flown. If LH cause the INVOL situation - they handle this between UA and LH, not between LH and the passenger. SImple agent - principal convention.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: LH M+M
Latest update of emergency schedule from LH til Monday, 23rd https://www.lufthansa.com/content/da...le21-23Mar.pdf
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Maybe some can help, or provide update on what's happening. I have a companion first fare, LON - Bogata, in end April. assuming its cancelled (all flights up to my travel week, have so far been cancelled) LH have to refund me my fare? I do not want a voucher for future travel (if the airline goes into admin etc, this could/ would be worthless anyway) and I do not want to re book.

Is LH not giving refunds for cancelled flights?

If LH don't offer refund, I can call my Credit Card and ask for a chargeback, I assume

Any update on what people experience is?

Stay Safe all
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by iainbean
Is LH not giving refunds for cancelled flights?
LH will refund the ticket price if they cancel the flight. I've gone through this several times in the last week alone and there's no fuss at all when you ask for a refund. You have nothing to worry about.

However, as is apparent from their investor communications, LH are currently lobbying the EU to relieve them of the obligation to refund flights canceled due to Covid-19
Keter likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hugolover
For weeks now cancelled flights get NO NOTIFICATION whatsoever by email or text message. Absolutely nothing.

That's unsettling. Totally against the spirit of maintaining an equitable relationship with customers.

I went to the website to check a four-sector trip, and found one flight re-scheduled, two cancelled, and the other switched to Swiss .... THEN cancelled. I'd received no word from LH Towers at all.

I thought notification of a schedule change or cancellation was launched automatically. Silly me.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: LH M+M
Got rebooked to one day earlier - also NOT A BLIPP of email (but some "customer information on covid-19")
Ridiculous.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Hydro88
LH will refund the ticket price if they cancel the flight. I've gone through this several times in the last week alone and there's no fuss at all when you ask for a refund. You have nothing to worry about.

However, as is apparent from their investor communications, LH are currently lobbying the EU to relieve them of the obligation to refund flights canceled due to Covid-19
This lobbying part really makes me angry. Why does LH on one had apply for state aid and on the other hand double down on penalizing its customers? If any airline has to go belly up in this crisis, it should be companies like LH with its policies showcases so much hatred towards its customers.
Keter and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
How on earth will we ever get the promo fare 2 must travel from AMS? It will be impossible to get those fares. This is not fair that we now have to pay a 3000 Euros fare difference.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
How on earth will we ever get the promo fare 2 must travel from AMS? It will be impossible to get those fares. This is not fair that we now have to pay a 3000 Euros fare difference.
​​​​​​Why is it unfair? Is it really less fair than LH having to transport you in another F cabin at your choosing after they were just forced to ground 95% or their flights, presumably for months?

Last edited by Hydro88; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:39 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
The only fair thing is to reimburse your ticket in cash. You paid for a promotion which doesn't happen, so money back. Maybe you can snap up the promo again later, but at least like this no-one is disadvantaged.
(And no, you are not disadvantaged because you lose out on the flight, since the promo was for a certain period of time, which will be gone by the time this all is sorted out)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.