Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH wants my death on their hands [May ticket to NCE not cancelled for free]

Old Mar 7, 20, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

As an elderly passenger at high-risk of contracting the virus, Lufthansa is taking no responsibility at all to avoid me dying I am hoping and praying one or all of
my booked flights will be cancelled in the next few weeks so I can get a full refund, as I am not even eligible to re-book according to their new information, as I bought my tickets last September but am not flying until May, after the cut-off date of 30th April for changes to existing bookings made before 5th March. I fly through 1 danger zone, Singapore, transit another, Munich, before arriving in a very high danger zone, Nice. LH won't answer emails or contact forms, and while the call centre staff are very kind, all they keep saying is check the website. All I am after is info as to whether I will be affected by cancellations and no-one will tell me. Just confirms LH has no interest in passengers, only profit.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: TK Gold
There is still a month and a half until May, so Lufthansa may very well extend their rebooking policy until then, just wait and see.

I wouldn't agree with you on the rest. Why does the airline have to be the one to take the financial burden of the outbreak over the passenger? The situation isn't the airline's fault (nor the passenger's). If you are afraid of dying then just don't go. Based on your post it seems you prefer to travel and die (?) rather than not get value for your money.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Not afraid of dying at all but prefer it to be on my terms.

Plenty of other airlines have done the right thing and cancelled flights from Singapore but oh no, not LH, no interest in passenger safety.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Polioli View Post
As an elderly passenger at high-risk of contracting the virus, Lufthansa is taking no responsibility at all to avoid me dying I am hoping and praying one or all of
my booked flights will be cancelled in the next few weeks so I can get a full refund, as I am not even eligible to re-book according to their new information, as I bought my tickets last September but am not flying until May, after the cut-off date of 30th April for changes to existing bookings made before 5th March. I fly through 1 danger zone, Singapore, transit another, Munich, before arriving in a very high danger zone, Nice. LH won't answer emails or contact forms, and while the call centre staff are very kind, all they keep saying is check the website. All I am after is info as to whether I will be affected by cancellations and no-one will tell me. Just confirms LH has no interest in passengers, only profit.
No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to get on that plane. Seems to me you are the one prioritizing money (the cost to cancel your flight) over your perceived certain death. Yet you condemn LH for the exact same thing. You alone are responsible for your decisions; your health, your choice. If you really believe that this trip is that much of a threat to your very survival, why on earth would you even consider letting a cancellation fee sway your decision? A few hundred dollars is worth dying over? And you say LH is the one who is only thinking about money?
BearX220, curt, Mwenenzi and 25 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
These are rolling cancellations, most airlines having extended only as far as late April at present- I have flights to Guangzhou mid April which have only been cancelled in the last couple of days. I knew it was coming but ultimately the normal change fees applied until the decision was made

The situation on the ground in many countries is changing at best week to week.

the time will come when either LH will cancel flights to destinations that remain sufficiently high risk, or itíll have spread so far and wide that trying to avoid it with travel plans will be a complete waste of time, other than for a few eg pacific islands

acknowledging this list is probably not exhaustive, Iím not seeing any airlines that have entirely cut flights to Singapore: https://www.traveller.com.au/coronav...flights-h1m7zp

what are you hoping posting in a very dramatic fashion on this forum is going to achieve for you?
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

I am an old age pensioner who cannot afford to lose nearly $2000, thanks very much, on a non-refundable ticket. The trip was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime.
Lizie likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Not dramatic at all, just stating a fact. Why did I post? Interested to see if anyone feels the same or has any GOOD suggestions.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I am an old age pensioner who cannot afford to lose nearly $2000, thanks very much, on a non-refundable ticket. The trip was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime.
Of course you can afford to "lose" $2,000, as you have already spent it. Yes, it would be a shame if you got nothing for your money, but presumably you would not have spent the $2,000 if you could not afford to do so.

Did you purchase travel insurance for your trip? Did you charge the trip to a credit card that provides free travel insurance? If the answer to either question is, "Yes," does the insurance cover situations like the COVID-19 virus?
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:53 pm

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Are all your flights on one ticket or multiple tickets? The strong likelihood is that up to half of your flights will be cancelled in due course and LH will attempt to move you to alternative flights. If the flight number changes (but not the timing), this is treated as a cancellation under EU261 and you are entitled to cancel the entire ticket and get a full refund. If your itinerary is booked directly through the airline, matters will be easier but you will still win any fight with an OTA. My advice is to relax and wait for LH to shoot themselves in the foot by cancelling one or more of your flights.
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:59 pm

Programs: *G
You can't afford to lose 2000 dollars but you can afford to lose your life?

That might just be me but if those were my choices I'd chose my life...
Old Mar 8, 20, 1:08 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Look up the sunk cost fallacy and apply it here, that $2000 should have no bearing on your decision. Your trip is still some time away for now and the situation is evolving rapidly. Use any schedule changes to your advantage.

​​​​
Old Mar 8, 20, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Don't feed them. Suggest this over dramatic nonsense is consigned to the the depths.
lhrpete, Gnopps, Koby and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 1:35 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
You can't afford to lose 2000 dollars but you can afford to lose your life?
That might just be me but if those were my choices I'd chose my life...
Welcome to FT Polioli (if you are not a troll .)

You booked non refundable tickets, which is always a risk. You got a good price for them and were happy about it.
Your travel dates are still far away and if the situation persists or worsens there will be a rebooking waiver even for after 30 April 2020. LH group has at present a quite far reaching waiver policy https://www.swiss.com/th/en/various/breaking-news and I think you just wait till end March to see how to proceed.
nancypants, andywaw and Lizie like this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
guv1976 - AMEX travel insurance with the annual Allianz policy does not cover "fear" of contracting- see paragraph 4.
https://www.allianztravelinsurance.c...oronavirus.htm

Not sure of other policies.
Old Mar 8, 20, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Your trip is 2 months away. A lot of things can happen in that time. Covid19 could spread so widely in Europe it won't matter where you go. Covid19 could die out in those countries. Or LH could extend the free cancellation period. They're not going to let everyone cancel every trip in the next year before determining if there is a danger. 2 months is perfectly reasonable. Check back in april. Calm down, you'll die of a heart attack before covid-19 at this rate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: