Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH wants my death on their hands [May ticket to NCE not cancelled for free]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH wants my death on their hands [May ticket to NCE not cancelled for free]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:46 am

What exactly are you worried about at Singapore? Being surrounded by top-notch cleaning processes and excellent medical care? The best part of this virus is that a certain group of tourist won't venture out for a few years, probably be the nicest travel time we've ever had.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by zebranz
guv1976 - AMEX travel insurance with the annual Allianz policy does not cover "fear" of contracting- see paragraph 4.
https://www.allianztravelinsurance.c...oronavirus.htm

Not sure of other policies.
ISTR someone in another thread who was sufficiently high risk getting their doctor to write a letter saying it was medically inadvisable to travel and getting a refund as a result. Could be an option if the travel insurance has an appropriate clause

mine has a clause for emergency workers having their leave cancelled unexpectedly I think so I’m safe
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The thread title is shameful hysteria, nonsense, and should be amended.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Polioli
As an elderly passenger at high-risk of contracting the virus
You have same risk to contract as anyone else.

​​​​​​You have higher risk to die.
Koby likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:30 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by theFallen
The best part of this virus is that a certain group of tourist won't venture out for a few years, probably be the nicest travel time we've ever had.
Post of the day ! I am looking forward to the best time to travel too (if I will be alive). No cheap package tours (less queuing), LCC and many airlines bankrupt (less ATC congestion), less FFP elites (more space in lounges) and most importantly less "of a certain group of tourists" around - they are the ones that most fear .
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by theFallen
What exactly are you worried about at Singapore? Being surrounded by top-notch cleaning processes and excellent medical care? The best part of this virus is that a certain group of tourist won't venture out for a few years, probably be the nicest travel time we've ever had.
I was about to argue this. Not only that, but case numbers in Singapore are still relatively low. To put it into perspective, the UK currently has had a total of 209 confirmed cases (at time of posting), whereas SIN has had 138.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Similar discussions about 'my airline is not being flexible enough'going on in multiple forums.

a number of airlines have rolling policies at the moment. This is a very dynamic situation as the news from italy today shows.

The additional flexibility in new bookings is about trying to drive bookings and income which have fallen through the floor, not some concern over peoples health and well being.

Your travel is several weeks away. Lets see where we are in another 4 weeks. Further policy changes will occur, further flights will be cancelled. If i remember correctly the initial policy was for travel till end of february. We are beyond that now and more 'flexibility' has been added.

or by then you may consider you would be less at risk in your destination country.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lawrious
I was about to argue this. Not only that, but case numbers in Singapore are still relatively low. To put it into perspective, the UK currently has had a total of 209 confirmed cases (at time of posting), whereas SIN has had 138.
Population of the UK 66.87 million.
Population of Singapore 5.70 million.

Populus infected in the UK, 3 persons per million.
Populus infected in Singapore, 24 persons per million. (Rounded to nearest whole number)

On a per capita basis, the Singapore infected numbers are 8 times that of the UK.

While your "perspective" is wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to travel to either.

Unless my flights are cancelled or embargoes are placed preventing my movement, I will happily travel to Singapore via Hong Kong and then to South Africa via the Middle East on my existing reservations for travel next month.

James
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Populus infected in Singapore, 24 persons per million. (Rounded to nearest whole number)

On a per capita basis, the Singapore infected numbers are 8 times that of the UK.

Unless my flights are cancelled or embargoes are placed preventing my movement, I will happily travel to Singapore via Hong Kong and then to South Africa via the Middle East on my existing reservations for travel next month.

James
It’s not as straightforward as that. Singapore has a much higher population density.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It’s not as straightforward as that. Singapore has a much higher population density.
Exactly and not only that but the rate of spread is virtually zero when looking at the dail statistics.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thank you for proving my point.

James
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
And please don't overlook the differences in availability and quality of healthcare.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Of course you can afford to "lose" $2,000, as you have already spent it. Yes, it would be a shame if you got nothing for your money, but presumably you would not have spent the $2,000 if you could not afford to do so.

Did you purchase travel insurance for your trip? Did you charge the trip to a credit card that provides free travel insurance? If the answer to either question is, "Yes," does the insurance cover situations like the COVID-19 virus?
Whoa lighten up will you. Very few pensioners can afford to lose that sort of money.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Lizie
Whoa lighten up will you. Very few pensioners can afford to lose that sort of money.
Then they should get insurance. Not sure while the older generations refer to the younger as “snowflakes” but have if anything a greater sense of entitlement.
athome likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if there is no advice from respective governments not to travel to an area then insurance would not pay out just because people are concerned and want to delay the trip.

I understand people are concerned and frustrated.

The travel advice will change over the next few weeks. All I can suggest is to be patient and see what develops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.