2020 M&M Status requalification race

Old Mar 7, 20, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
2020 M&M Status requalification race

2020 feels like an obstacle race: Ciara/Sabine storms, coronavirus flight cancellations, planes grounded, schedule disruptions, flight irregularities, borders closed, airports shutdowns, entry restrictions, rebookings, postponings, new on board precautionary measures...
However, it's the last year for requalification under the current rules, plus requalification this year extends my status until February 2024.
I look forward to more LH and LO flights this year

Last edited by andywaw; Jul 26, 20 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 7, 20, 1:40 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
With all of the above this year will be tough. Was originally tracking for 450k HON miles. Looking like itíll be 300k, but that assumes the current projections donít worsen re infections, etc.
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:09 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), MeliŠ Rewards Platino, NH Silver
I really hope they will grant us some extra status/HON miles as it occured in strike years. Otherwise...
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marcin83 View Post
I really hope they will grant us some extra status/HON miles as it occured in strike years. Otherwise...
I think it really depends how this whole coronavirus crisis plays out.

But I think there are several options for M&M.

1.) Outright status extensions like those seen in Asia -> I'd consider it unlikely given LH's history of stinginess

2.) Status promotions such as double status miles -> Possible if the crisis is long and severe. Status promotions have the advantage of not messing all that much with the program's incentives as you can run them late in the calendar year. By that time, some people will already have "worked hard" to achieve/renew status as they couldn't be certain a status promotion was coming. They also provide an incentive to those who haven't achieved status yet to make additional bookings late in the calendar year.

3.) Lowering the requirement for status a bit by granting elites some extra status miles -> Perhaps the most likely scenario. M&M has used this tool before so it stands to reason they like how it works. Probably, a promo 2.) is more effective at encouraging additional bookings than a promo 3.).

Last edited by Comatose.Captain; Mar 8, 20 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:24 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Marcin83 View Post
I do hope they will not do this, it is not their fault (strike). Excellent opportunity to improve quality and make lounges more bearable.
Kleffen likes this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
I do hope they will not do this, it is not their fault (strike). Excellent opportunity to improve quality and make lounges more bearable.
I find it difficult to see that excellent opportunity.

Here's the rub: We know M&M is trying to optimize the number of elites it gets. The frequent tweaks to the program (e.g., the major one coming up '21) are evidence of that.

So when you're commenting M&M should cut down the number of elites and providing a better experience to the ones remaining (presumably, by increasing spending per elite), how are we to interpret that? One possibility is that the comment represents nothing but wishful thinking. Another interpretation is you're thinking M&M is not properly optimizing. But if it's the latter, I'd be curious to hear the rationale for it.

Last edited by Comatose.Captain; Mar 8, 20 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Isn’t there a requalification thread already?
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Isnít there a requalification thread already?
A search didn't yield another 2020 edition for me.
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are in 2020. If you have not qualified for this year, it is a bit late. There certainly is a 2021 thread somewhere.
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:40 am
Suspended

We are in 2020. If you have not qualified for this year, it is a bit late. There certainly is a 2021 thread somewhere.
Errr, no.

The thread is supposed to cover the requalification process in the year 2020 (for elite status in years 2021 and beyond). I am not a native speaker, so I'm not sure if there's an issue with the thread title. But this is the first thread for this topic.
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain View Post
Errr, no.

The thread is supposed to cover the requalification process in the year 2020 (for elite status in years 2021 and beyond). I am not a native speaker, so I'm not sure if there's an issue with the thread title. But this is the first thread for this topic.
Then the thread title should be amended to say 2021 and beyond. You are qualifying in 2020 for 2021/22.
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:47 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain View Post
So when you're commenting M&M should cut down the number of elites and providing a better experience to the ones remaining (presumably, by increasing spending per elite), how are we to interpret that? One possibility is that the comment represents nothing but wishful thinking. Another interpretation is you're thinking M&M is not properly optimizing. But if it's the latter, I'd be curious to hear the rationale for it.
The elites will cut down by themselves and LH group keeping the same resources will result in a better experience for the remaining. It might be wishful thinking and LH group might reduce its lounge offer given there being fewer elites.

Regarding optimizing: I think C lounge access for FTL is a perk given away too easily. In the case of MXP they are ruining the lounge experience and happily got a voucher instead of access during the LIN closure last summer.
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Then the thread title should be amended to say 2021 and beyond. You are qualifying in 2020 for 2021/22.
My impression was that the title reflects individual progress/success in getting status miles for those who re/qualify in 2020 - not for 2020 (as it was in "2019 M&M Status requalification race" threat).
I am qualifying in 2020 for 2022/2023.

There were threats for those qualifying in 2015, 2016, 2017,2018 and 2019 (which was last year) - the logic says now it's time for those qualifying in 2020.
Fabo.sk likes this.

Last edited by andywaw; Mar 8, 20 at 6:31 am
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, AA PLT, DL PM
Ok ok. At this point, I think the topic of this thread is clear.

Anyone making any predictions on the requal situation considering everything going on?
Old Mar 13, 20, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

I doubt this is on anyones mind right now... since status is evaluated by calendar year they can take stock towards the end of the year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: