Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Covid19: Lufthansa Group grounds/retires Aircraft and asks for state aid

Covid19: Lufthansa Group grounds/retires Aircraft and asks for state aid

Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Probably true, it will mostly affect us poor people who can only afford F in O
The only true premium pax fly in "F" fares. "A" inventory is spread between poor mans F fares and not that cheap. Let's remember that.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Raul_R
So, there will be 8 A380 and 10 A346. And 8 B744 (wihtout F anyway)
Just got a F ticket for September FRA-HKG with A346 (my last flight on that route 3 weeks ago was B748).

Actually I think, that F travel demand will remain almost the same.
And as the product is neccessary also for PR and for 5*, then it will not disappear.
Yes, but once LH is back to operating its normal routes -- let's say Q42020 or even 2021 -- it will not have the jets to operate all the F routes that it previously (ie, right before COVID-19) did with the same frequency. You're talking about a reduction of 26% of jets with F. I can only imagine that LH was operating those 50 jets pretty efficiently (how close to 100% utility?) so there will be a significant impact on routes that used to have F to not having F (or less F--for example JFK/EWR had 4 flights a day with F (3 from JFK (2 to FRA and 1 to MUC) and 1 from EWR (to FRA)---I can see that number going down but I hope not).

So, which routes do people think are the most vulnerable? The NY flights were running full in 2019 and 2020.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CS gave a video message to LH emplyees yesterday... quote: 'We are losing a million € every hour'
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by oliver2002
CS gave a video message to LH emplyees yesterday... quote: 'We are losing a million € every hour'
Which is quite misleading in terms of numbers. A typical (as in last year) month would be >1 million of wages per hour.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Which is quite misleading in terms of numbers. A typical (as in last year) month would be >1 million of wages per hour.
But aren’t taxpayers picking up 80% or so of the wage bill now?
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus they’re keeping pax’s money.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by MichielR
But aren’t taxpayers picking up 80% or so of the wage bill now?
87000 employees are on 'kurzarbeit' which is paid by the employee insurance. LH has not accepted a bailout yet and is using up their 5.1 bn cash reserves. The cash on hand is of course not available fully as they have to accrue for any refunds or travel vouchers.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I have received another e-mail from Lufthansa ( Christina Foerster ) which repeated the same things available on LH.com

--------------

Dear Mr. ISTFlyer,

I sincerely hope that you and your loved ones are well. Our lives have changed dramatically these past few weeks and in response to my last mailing you have sent me many comments. I am truly grateful for your feedback and would like to share with you some of my thoughts on your frequently asked questions.

Social Responsibility
We are aware of our responsibility and are helping to relieve this crisis. Our repatriation flights are bringing back home people who have been stranded abroad due to travel restrictions. We already have brought back home more than 70,000 people on more than 360 flights.
Another important aspect of our support is to provide Europe with air freight. We not only uphold important supply chains but also transport urgently needed medical equipment via special flights to different countries.

Flexible Rebooking
Whether your flight has been cancelled or you are unable to travel as planned – your ticket retains its value, allowing you to travel at a later time. There is no need to decide immediately on a new travel date and you may even change your travel destination. If you have booked your ticket with us by April 19, 2020, please let us know how you would like to travel by August 31, 2020. Your new travel date may be anytime until April 30, 2021. Should you plan to travel with one of the Lufthansa Group airlines in the near future, please note the information below (box).

When rebooking a flight with a travel date until December 31, 2020, we will give you a discount of 50 Euro on the ticketed price. You may rebook via the Lufthansa Group customer service, our airlines’ online platforms as well as with travel agents.

In addition, when booking a new ticket, all available ticket fares of Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines on all routes now offer rebooking options (e.g. our Zero Bag fare without hand luggage).

The entire Lufthansa Group staff is doing everything possible each day to bring you to your destination safely and to unite people in these difficult times.

I am looking forward to receiving your continuous open feedback and despite the limitations, I wish you pleasant holidays. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Kind regards

Christina Foerster
Member of the Board of Management
Customer & Corporate Responsibility
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They are just doing what they had planned for 2022-23 today. What concerns me is that the B744 and A380 retirement relied on the B779 coming in around the same time. Yesterday Leeham surmised that the B77X Project may fall victim to Covid19:

https://leehamnews.com/2020/04/06/po...9-todays-take/
I did think it was interesting that in the press release, there was no mention of the 777-9's due to join the fleet at all. Lufthansa were launch customer for the type and they should have been flying with them by now. Clearly Boeing and GE are very late with the type, but the fact that they didn't mention when, or if they were still taking them is interesting. Could we see more 744s retired to make way for these aircraft? Or will they be able to defer or even cancel. Interestingly, yesterday, British Airways' debt was downgraded with one of the reasons being cited as their commitments for the 777-9 as well.

Could we see a further modification to change them completely to more 787-9s? I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
It seems pretty clear that LH does not see the demand ever reaching 2019 levels in the mid term, so I don't even think they are counting on the 77X in their projections. Commercially the decision to retire the old inefficient birds make sense but personally... the 346 is the most aesthetically pleasing airliner of all time imho, and I'm devastated to see it retire. Not a good time for the 744 either, with KLM having also retires theirs.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Really? I think the 340-500 is better proportioned.
Kleffen likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
the 346 is the most aesthetically pleasing airliner of all time imho
Not meaning to start a religious war and go completely off topic, but it has to be Concorde!
mmff and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Not meaning to start a religious war and go completely off topic, but it has to be Concorde!
Well that goes without saying!
Dave_C and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I stand corrected. So, to clarify:

The A346 (or 345) is the most aesthetically pleasing subsonic airliner of all time.

Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Does anyone know when LH and LX timetables for May will be updated? LX still shows the "normal" (pre-Covid) program, haven't checked LH yet.

Maybe they wait for Merkel's and the Bundesrat's announcements?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.