Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Goodness me. Helga is absolutely desperate for cash by no refunds. Rebooking a simple ticket to Italy to Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan!!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This makes BArbs "200 mile" policy like the Ebenezer Scrooge of rebookings. Good for Helga. That's very pax positive.

Has this ever happened before? I can't remember anything like this in the history of my time on FT. Rebook from MXP to ALA. Fares there are really high, its very temping to rebook my MXP to somewhere like that.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:35 am

KL is also only allowing a change of date and not a change of destination (or a refund). Good for LH indeed.

EDIT: they seem to allow a change of destination "maintaining the value" so in essence a refund.

Last edited by malmostoso; Mar 3, 2020 at 2:11 am
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
So obviously there's a confirmed CV case who was onboard LH273 LIN-FRA on 2/28, last Friday. Hope crew and those who sat next to this person are well...

Just out of curiosity, how did the shift work for the crew though? I was looking at where the aircraft D-AIEB operating this flight went on 2/28:
FRA-TXL-FRA: 6:45am-9:55am
FRA-LIN-FRA: 11:40am-3pm
FRA-AMS-FRA: 4:40pm-7:40pm
FRA-ATH: 8:50pm-12:35am
Did they have a change of crew after the LIN-FRA flight?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I‘m willing to bet that 90% of the people ITT who have traveled LH group in February shared a plane with at least one corona-virus sufferer.

I feel bad for the flight attendants.

Also for the lounge staff. Today I saw one dousing his hands in sanitizer. I lent him some moisturizer to keep his hands in good condition.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Talking

Originally Posted by sophialite
I‘m willing to bet that 90% of the people ITT who have traveled LH group in February shared a plane with at least one corona-virus sufferer.
What leads you to this statement? Did you calculate it?
If on 90% of all LH flights a corona-virus sufferer would be one board, that would mean a lot of flying for the actual 165 people having it in Germany. They must be all HONs within days.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by athome
What leads you to this statement? Did you calculate it?
If on 90% of all LH flights a corona-virus sufferer would be one board, that would mean a lot of flying for the actual 165 people having it in Germany. They must be all HONs within days.
I don’t want to derail this thread, which has really important information, arguing this point. If you want to disagree with me or take the opposing side of this bet, my DMs are open. Thx.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by newflyer530
So obviously there's a confirmed CV case who was onboard LH273 LIN-FRA on 2/28, last Friday. Hope crew and those who sat next to this person are well...

Just out of curiosity, how did the shift work for the crew though? I was looking at where the aircraft D-AIEB operating this flight went on 2/28:
FRA-TXL-FRA: 6:45am-9:55am
FRA-LIN-FRA: 11:40am-3pm
FRA-AMS-FRA: 4:40pm-7:40pm
FRA-ATH: 8:50pm-12:35am
Did they have a change of crew after the LIN-FRA flight?
Crews usually work about 8 hours and do 4-6 segments a day. If this crew began their day in FRA, they probaby were done in LIN. Normally they stay at the destination and continue the next day as part of a 5 day tour. Considering Italy was already a no go zone last week they probably changed crews in FRA before flying to LIN.

If an infected person is travelling with 150-200 people in an aircraft it doesn't mean that all of them instantly get infected with the corona virus
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:01 am

If an infected person is travelling with 150-200 people in an aircraft it doesn't mean that all of them instantly get infected with the corona virus
I sure hope you don't think I either explicitly or implicitly stated this. I think you're exactly right here, and I apologize if I gave any impression that anything otherwise was the case.

That aside, I think an infected passenger does pose significant risk of infection for the flight crew.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That's Spohr-like wishful thinking. Try 30-40 pax and probably grouped together for W&B.

Never in my life have I seen only 6 seats ASR on a peak time feeder to MUC as I do for later this week.

Let's get some loads posted somewhere. It's fascinating.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Hello all!

Go easy on me as I know my request is kind of 'pushing it' (but is it?).

I've booked for 5 (me, my parents, my SO and her mother) on a trip to India in April in Business. Flights were using the companion sale from MXP a while ago (last year) and had a routing of MXP — ZRH — DEL and back from Apr 3 to Apr 12. Being based in OPO we had feeding flights with TP on the day before. Kind of a trip of a lifetime for them (they have no idea is in Biz) and something we cherished and saved for.

Issue: with the whole coronavirus situation in northen italy (and the hyperbole media has given it) my parents are now terrified of flying through MXP. I've reassured them we're still a month away and things change. And yes, I know DEL presents (at multiple levels) dangers beyond coronavirus (or including coronavirus). But this is not what is on their minds. To make matters worse TP canceled flight on 2nd of April — I know Swiss is not responsible but sort of increases time in MXP as we'll have to fly the day before (1st).

I messaged Swiss on Twitter and asked them for either ability to change to other departure point (OPO ideally) or just depart from ZRH instead of MXP (and I'd rebook with TP (or them) to ZRH) or refund/credit (I understand no way, but...). They explicitly said that this was possible after being given the booking code. Not once, but twice. But that I had to call the line to make the change.

The line says is not possible (travel date outside of waiver, departure point would never be changeable). I asked back on Twitter but I'm just assuming they'll say "yeah sorry our bad".

Any way I can see some luck here? I imagine not — but even though I understand a ZRH — DEL is priced differently than a MXP — ZRH — DEL (and I understand why) I was hoping given the extraordinary circumstances there would be some flexibility of allowing at least that change (two *G on the booking, if that even matters). Or even have some sort of administrative fee on it.

Maybe we ultimately cancel the trip, but the last thing I want is for something supposed to be nice for them to turn into something that makes them nervous.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:27 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Any way I can see some luck here? I imagine not — but even though I understand a ZRH — DEL is priced differently than a MXP — ZRH — DEL (and I understand why) I was hoping given the extraordinary circumstances there would be some flexibility of allowing at least that change (two *G on the booking, if that even matters). Or even have some sort of administrative fee on it.

Maybe we ultimately cancel the trip, but the last thing I want is for something supposed to be nice for them to turn into something that makes them nervous.
You appear tu fully understand the sensational MXP deals. Obviously the point of departure can not be changed, BUT in your case I would wait closer to departure as your MXP - ZRH flight could be canceled. In this case you would have a stronger point to push for a ZRH departure.

Asking them then an OPO departure would be to push it too much, but you could always try.

Most importantly I would buy tickets OPO - MXP AND OPO - ZRH which are fully refundable.

By this time the Wuhan virus will be everywhere in Europe anyway (possibly on the decline) and Portugal will certainly not be a safe haven, Switzerland even less.

With the refundable tickets out of Portugal you have nothing to loose and the MXP discounted ones have only the taxes refunded anyway.

btw: Did you think about India being a potentially unsafe destination in these times ?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by behuman
You appear tu fully understand the sensational MXP deals. Obviously the point of departure can not be changed, BUT in your case I would wait closer to departure as your MXP - ZRH flight could be canceled. In this case you would have a stronger point to push for a ZRH departure.

Asking them then an OPO departure would be to push it too much, but you could always try.

Most importantly I would buy tickets OPO - MXP AND OPO - ZRH which are fully refundable.

By this time the Wuhan virus will be everywhere in Europe anyway (possibly on the decline) and Portugal will certainly not be a safe haven, Switzerland even less.

With the refundable tickets out of Portugal you have nothing to loose and the MXP discounted ones have only the taxes refunded anyway.

btw: Did you think about India being a potentially unsafe destination in these times ?
Absolutely. As I said I'm aware of that. We are on a hold and see kind of pattern. But India (on top of the normal perils of India) might be as unsafe as some European places in terms of getting the virus. Then treating it... Is another story. I'll go with whatever my parents - which are more at risk - feel comfortable with.

I'll follow your advice thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

First of all, India in April is not really a tourist destination. Delhi and most of the country will be hot hot hot. Friends don't let friends vacation in India in April. The season for visitors is November to March. Medical facilities are world class for those who can afford it, so I wouldn't worry about that part. Even then, as someone who grew up there I would advise against travelling to India in April even if there is no health scare going on.

Some if not all of your booked flights to Italy will be cancelled at some point in the coming weeks. Use that to get out of this trip and ask for a refund.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:53 am

Looks like your trip to India from Italy has just cancelled itself:

Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.), Iran, Italy, Japan or Korea (Rep.) on or after 1 February 2020 are not allowed to enter India. Their visa and e-visa are invalidated.
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.