J recommendation: LH747, LX330 or AC777 for longhaul?

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
J recommendation: LH747, LX330 or AC777 for longhaul?

Looking to book some long haul flights to DEL. Generally, I go with EY or BA but *A fares are pricing out better.

I have flown AC 777 in PEY and found it to be fairly comfortable. Never flown J but cabin looked pretty nice. How are the lounges in YYZ?
LH 747 - decent product. Seems a bit dated. Not impressed with J lounges.
LX 330 - never flown. No clue on lounges as well.

LH and AC fares are about $100 (r/t) more than LX. If the lounges and hard product is superior, I think that is a justified cost. Would appreciate some suggestions here.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: *G
LX is better for solo travelers because seats are parallel.

LH is awkward if not a pair, since seats angle towards each other.

I prefer 747 when traveling with my partner, because upper deck, and the side storage of upper deck.

Everything else is a coinflip. Well, depends on your FFP, LX discount business (P) typically gives mileage earnings and LH doesn't.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
LH is awkward if not a pair, since seats angle towards each other.
On the 744, angled seats are only in the main deck middle block, all other J seats are parallel (downside side pairs as well as all upper deck seats). On the 748, though, all J seats are angled. Lower deck middle seats, though, have a much wider seat console between them as well as significantly larger foot wells.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Pax is a couple and no preference in FFP.... it's all about the product and lounge. I have only seen LX in pictures and though it looks comfortable, it doesn't any particular aspect that would especially appealing.

How about AC business class? It looks very similar to cathay style angled seats, big IFE screens... food was not half-bad either.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:08 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Pax is a couple and no preference in FFP.... it's all about the product and lounge. I have only seen LX in pictures and though it looks comfortable, it doesn't any particular aspect that would especially appealing.
Upper deck 74X will be your choice, quiet and intimate for a couple. Would choose the first row in the aft section.

LX is OK for solo travellers who like to be in a coffin like product with small cubby holes except for the bulkheads.

Staff is in general better on LH than LX.

Did not fly AC for years, have good memories but it is staggered seating not very good for conversation in C.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
For a couple, would also go LH upper deck.

AC Seat layout is not for couples and deflating seats are to be avoided, LX has good lounges but on board product in J is not as good as LHs (for a couple!).
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:41 pm

I see so many responses for LH but imo, LHs J product is horrendous with little privacy, storage, and food is super mediocre. (I flew it upper deck of 747-800)

Ive flown LXs A330 in J multiple times and the throne seats are best for single person.

Depending on how much you value surface area and storage, Id go with AC every time. Their signature service food is better than LX (I dislike how LX serves appetizer, main, dessert together) and if youre flying through YYZ, the Signature Lounge is definitely the nicest J lounge in the world.

Only caveat is that talking is difficult with the middle barrier but I prefer two windows anyway...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:59 am
Original Poster

I share most of the opinions here but the passengers are in their mid 60s. Pretty sure they will be happy enough with a giant IFE and good food rather than conversing lol.

LH upper deck is certainly a redeeming part but the I found the service and food in J to be fairly mediocre. Nothing terrible but nothing outstanding either. As someone said above, what are deflating seats and why are they to be avoided?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: *G
I find both ZRH and FRA/MUC Lounges comparable. Both have good selection of drinks, and snacks, but are often packed to the gills. Haven't used the AC lounges in a while.

Food and drinks are equally palatable on both. There's nothing standout about any carrier in J, worthy of note, except maybe Turkish but that's nothing to base decision over. I mean, it's better than a school lunchbox but worse than a restaurant you'd actually pay money for, so....
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:11 am

As a note, I find the connection in ZRH or MUC for a US/CA to India flight much better than in FRA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by tajee165
Ive flown LXs A330 in J multiple times and the throne seats are best for single person.
The question is whats best for a couple.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
LH upper deck is certainly a redeeming part but the I found the service and food in J to be fairly mediocre. Nothing terrible but nothing outstanding either. As someone said above, what are deflating seats and why are they to be avoided?
Well, its J airline food. Not even F food is outstanding, as it is a reheated meal from an aluminum container put on a fancy plate ...

As for the deflating seats on AC: look for deflategate on the AC forum. I experienced it and it wasnt fun.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No question for me at all in this situation. LH 747 upper deck.
sw1x, findark and Hydro88 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I would choose AC without a doubt. There have been some issues with the seats but the config is reverse herringbone which beats anything LH or LX offer. There is also the Signature Suite at YYZ, their premium lounge that you only access on a paid AC business class ticket. It's one of the best business class lounges in the world and beats anything LH or LX will offer in business - it's as good as their first lounges and just as exclusive. On board the offering is fine, with airline food you either like it or you don't and AC are as good on that front as any other. For a couple, two middle seats will be fine or if they aren't bothered about seeing each other then two windows would also be good.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I would choose AC without a doubt. There have been some issues with the seats but the config is reverse herringbone which beats anything LH or LX offer. There is also the Signature Suite at YYZ, their premium lounge that you only access on a paid AC business class ticket. It's one of the best business class lounges in the world and beats anything LH or LX will offer in business - it's as good as their first lounges and just as exclusive. On board the offering is fine, with airline food you either like it or you don't and AC are as good on that front as any other. For a couple, two middle seats will be fine or if they aren't bothered about seeing each other then two windows would also be good.
The Signature Suite isnt comparable to any of the FCLs.

Despite the 1-2-1 configuration I didnt find AC to be clearly superior by any measure compared to LH or LX.
Nick Art likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.