Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Tier points from CX flight on Lufthansa booking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
BA Tier points from CX flight on Lufthansa booking

Apologies, if this sits better with LH or CX forums, it sort of sits across them as well- please move as appropriate.

Just booked Lufthansa 241 deal to SYD, this is LH ticketed (220), on one PNR and is a combination of LH/CX and SQ metal. One of the legs HKG-SYD does not appear to be a LH codeshare like the other legs, but is CX111 and CX metal. Rummaging around the BA dashboard it looks like I should get TP/Avios if the CX leg is credited to my BAEC -on the basis of Oneworld prefix and Oneworld metal- does this still apply if it is LH ticketed?

If so, is there a way of putting my M&M number against the LH segments and my BAEC number against the CX segment? Can this be done at check in or, should I not put a FFP number against the booking, and claim separately in retrospect? Looking at the booking on the Cathay website it looks as if I may be able to enter a different FFP against each segment.

From similar threads that I could find, I suspect that the answer will probably be no, but l can live in hope

Hope all that makes sense!

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
In General, crediting CX flights on a LH ticket and itinerary to BA should be possible. Just last week I received BA tier points and Avios for a flight with CX flight number on CX metal and on a LH ticket (my flight was CX from Taipei to HKG and LH from HKG to Frankfurt). I was also tempted to insert my BA frequent flyer number for the CX segment on CX's website. At the end I didn't want to risk the automatic credit for the LH segments in my booking and did not insert my BA number. After the trip I claimed the missing miles for the CX segment on the BA website and received tier points and Avios after a couple of days.

HOWEVER, your situation might be different because LH allows collecting miles (but not qualifying points) for the CX flight HKG-SYD in their Miles & More program. This is not the case for my TPE-HKG flight. If the miles are credited to Miles & More, credit of tier points to BA is probably precluded. Others may have experience with this, but I would think that it might be safer to not put any frequent flyer number into the booking and then claim the different segments with the different programs, starting with the retroclaim for BA.

Last edited by Greg45; Feb 12, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Yes its no problem, had a QF SYD-SIN followed by SIN-ZRH on LX. At check in at SYD, just put the two different numbers (BA and SK) into the two different legs, as by default only my SK number was in.

If you have status, no reason you should do it retro actively anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Thanks to both, much appreciated
A
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can call LH and ask them to add the FFP number segment by segment, no issues at all.
beamac likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Out of interest, where did you ticket this? You say one PNR, which is all well and good, but is it one ticket or several tickets inside the same PNR?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Out of interest, where did you ticket this? You say one PNR, which is all well and good, but is it one ticket or several tickets inside the same PNR?
It is one ticket that you can book through LH/LX when booking to Australia. You can combine with QF/BA/CX/SQ (perhaps others too).
beamac likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ung1
It is one ticket that you can book through LH/LX when booking to Australia. You can combine with QF/BA/CX/SQ (perhaps others too).
I have similar but ticketed by LX. Check your CX sector because mine is on an LX code but CX metal. Miles probably on Miles&More and perhaps AsiaMiles only. Not on CX because it is LH/LX marketed and not on any Star program since it is CX operated. One more variation in commercial aviation to watch out for. In my case, the fare was so good to make any mileage collection secondary. GBP 1,300 in J AMS-ZRH-SIN-AKL and return in J must almost be the deal of the century.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I have similar but ticketed by LX. Check your CX sector because mine is on an LX code but CX metal. Miles probably on Miles&More and perhaps AsiaMiles only. Not on CX because it is LH/LX marketed and not on any Star program since it is CX operated. One more variation in commercial aviation to watch out for. In my case, the fare was so good to make any mileage collection secondary. GBP 1,300 in J AMS-ZRH-SIN-AKL and return in J must almost be the deal of the century.
Yea, it is more complicated if the flight number is LX. I did this with a QF leg and it was a QF flight number, so no problem with crediting to BA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:34 am
Original Poster

It's CX code and CX metal - all the other legs are LH coded or codeshare with SQ
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I regularly have QF sectors on an LH/LX issued ticket and they always credit to QF. You can easily credit to BA too. Also had CX flight (with CX flight number) credit to QF on an LX ticket recently.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up, I went to the Cathay site and entered the relevant LH and BA numbers against each individual segment in the booking ( for some reason it was easier on via the CX app rather than website). Being somewhat doubtful that it might work, I phoned LH as suggested above to confirm if they had all pulled through which they had! Here's hoping they all credit correctly

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by beamac
Just to follow up, I went to the Cathay site and entered the relevant LH and BA numbers against each individual segment in the booking ( for some reason it was easier on via the CX app rather than website). Being somewhat doubtful that it might work, I phoned LH as suggested above to confirm if they had all pulled through which they had! Here's hoping they all credit correctly

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice
Worst case, you have to retro claim. With LX and CX it worked fine for me having only my EuroBonus number in the booking and then later retro-claimed the CX legs to BA.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:04 am

Just to add some real world experience to this, I recently flew on a QF operated, BA coded sector, on my LH ticket from Europe to Australia, issued on 220 stock. All the LH sectors posted correctly, however the QF/BA one didn't unfortunately despite it showing correctly on my boarding pass and reflecting my EMD status. I called the Exec Club, gave them the ticket numbers and they were able to manually credit both the miles and tier points no problem. Also, as it was under a BA code, I got the 250% multiplier for Avios being in 'A' class and a BA Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.