Winter Storm Feb 9-11 cancellations

Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Winter Storm Feb 9-11 cancellations

LH has cancelled a lot of flights for today (Feb 9) due to the approaching storm.

The cancellations mean that I had to leave the house at 4 a.m. instead of 4 p.m. to reach my destination today. Inconvenient, but acceptable. What bothers me is that LH has cancelled so many flights to airports that LX says they will fly to all day. As an example: all LH flights to CDG cancelled after 10 a.m. while LX plans to fly there all afternoon. AMS and others the same. Why?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
My guess is that LH are more proactive and that LX will see cancellations later today, along with the operational mess. Unless the meteo is wrong in which case their gamble will pay off.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
LH has cancelled a lot of flights for today (Feb 9) due to the approaching storm.

The cancellations mean that I had to leave the house at 4 a.m. instead of 4 p.m. to reach my destination today. Inconvenient, but acceptable. What bothers me is that LH has cancelled so many flights to airports that LX says they will fly to all day. As an example: all LH flights to CDG cancelled after 10 a.m. while LX plans to fly there all afternoon. AMS and others the same. Why?
Sorry to hear, hope its not too disruptive for you, safe travels !

LX in my impression seem to handle WX disruption better at ZRH
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:02 am
Suspended

ZRH isn't perhaps not quite as much affected. One should keep in mind an airline much prefer to have aircraft and especially crew at their bases when the disruption hits
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Wonder how it will be tomorrow morning. Got a LHR-MUC flight at 08h45. That will probably be a turnaround of a flight that comes in early from FRA or MUC.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Wonder how it will be tomorrow morning. Got a LHR-MUC flight at 08h45. That will probably be a turnaround of a flight that comes in early from FRA or MUC.
Looks like today your flight has ben cancelled.
You can use flightradar24.com to check on your inbound. Search for LH2470
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
My guess is that LH are more proactive and that LX will see cancellations later today, along with the operational mess. Unless the meteo is wrong in which case their gamble will pay off.
Hope you are right.

Having to leave home 12 hours earlier just to catch the last LH flight cost me a whole Sunday with my family.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
Sorry to hear, hope its not too disruptive for you, safe travels !

LX in my impression seem to handle WX disruption better at ZRH
Thanks Chris, got to my destination OK and will survive, just unhappy that I had to get up so early and dont get to spend the Sunday with my family.

Lets see what its like on my way back tomorrow.

Safe travels to you too!
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
ZRH isn't perhaps not quite as much affected. One should keep in mind an airline much prefer to have aircraft and especially crew at their bases when the disruption hits
ZRH/FRA/MUC do not seem to be the problem, but LON, AMS, CDG etc. Quite odd that LH cancels all flights to CDG and LX none.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I would monitor the cancellations via the LH app.

The purser just said that there will be many cancellations tomorrow and that they are being loaded onto their systems at the moment.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I haven't bothered downloading the Lufthansa app on this new phone, I found it so useless on the old phone. Things that don't work properly I stop using very quickly. And the LH website sent me in circles just now, so I'll use flightradar 24.

It's very stormy here in London right now, some very strong gusts which are bringing down bits of trees. The washing line next door is rotating like a helicopter. Sirens going all the time out on the streets, but that's standard for London. Seemingly winds are up to 83mph down in Christchurch, Dorset. Looks like it calms down significantly tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:54 am
Original Poster

I haven't bothered downloading the Lufthansa app on this new phone, I found it so useless on the old phone. Things that don't work properly I stop using very quickly. And the LH website sent me in circles just now, so I'll use flightradar 24.
The LH App sure has its issues, but flight status checks work and are much more reliable than on the LH website.

Here is the update for Monday morning:

Last edited by worldclubber; Feb 9, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Slots xFRA are not the same as slots xZRH or, for that matter, any other airport.

There are hundreds of threads on FT which are complaints based on the premise that Carrier X is operating Route #1 so Carrier Y ought to be able to operate Route #2 . The parallelism simply does not work.
SK AAR and flospi like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Number of CDG-ZRH LX flights cancelled tomorrow
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Slots xFRA are not the same as slots xZRH or, for that matter, any other airport.

There are hundreds of threads on FT which are complaints based on the premise that Carrier X is operating Route #1 so Carrier Y ought to be able to operate Route #2 . The parallelism simply does not work.
To a certain extent it does. No wind at MUC and ZRH until late today and LH decided to cancel, e.g., all flights to/from CDG, LX decided not to. Does not mean LX is right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.