FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   WAW transit security (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2006699-waw-transit-security.html)

poisson Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

WAW transit security

When I flew ORD-WAW-LWO, I did not have to go through any additional security at WAW. They had someone waiting at the end of the jet bridge directing people to the correct gate. Basically got off the plane and walked 2min to the next gate.

But when I flew LWO-WAW-ORD, I had to pass through security screening before being able to enter the terminal and board my WAW-ORD flight.

Why was there no additional security on arrival at WAW but additional security (and I will say they were quite rude and ineffective) for the return flight?

fassy Jan 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Because on your outbound flight you arrived from the US which is considered “clean” in a sense of they trust TSA doing a decent job screening passengers.

For the inbound you arrived from the Ukraine which is not a clean arrival, So another security check is required.

True, WAW security control guys sometimes can be quite rude. But that goes for most airports around the world..

yurtripper Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Is there a list available of which countries are considered 'clean' at WAW in that respect?

poisson Jan 29, 2020 1:20 pm

It's quite funny to me because TSA absolutely fails at their job while the security in Ukraine was quite thorough. Ukraine scanned my bags entering the airport and once again at the security. It's also the only time I've been forced to remove my watch, plastic travel belt, and shoes in Europe.

fassy Jan 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 32009117)
Is there a list available of which countries are considered 'clean' at WAW in that respect?

have not seen any... but out of experience all Schengen arrivals - obviously -... UK, US, CA, RO... probably some more.

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 32009188)
It's quite funny to me because TSA absolutely fails at their job while the security in Ukraine was quite thorough. Ukraine scanned my bags entering the airport and once again at the security. It's also the only time I've been forced to remove my watch, plastic travel belt, and shoes in Europe.

I don’t see how TSA fails at their job? And just because the Ukrainians were thorough for you, means they are always thorough enough to fulfill the standard the EU countries consider good enough to include them in the list.

i guess there is some framework around getting approved, like for carriers getting approved for TSAPre or for state to participate in Global Entry.

since the current Ukraine is a quite young and difficult republic, that process probably will take some time.

poisson Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 32009243)

I don’t see how TSA fails at their job? And just because the Ukrainians were thorough for you, means they are always thorough enough to fulfill the standard the EU countries consider good enough to include them in the list.

i guess there is some framework around getting approved, like for carriers getting approved for TSAPre or for state to participate in Global Entry.

since the current Ukraine is a quite young and difficult republic, that process probably will take some time.

The TSA fails almost every test and has yet to stop a terrorist. I found a safety razor blade in my carry on that I forgot about that they failed to detect. They also have let me pass through with more than the maximum liquid amount or containers that were larger than 100ml. Yet they scrutinized the blocks of cheese I brought back from Vermont.

I suspect that Ukrainian airport security is on high alert because of the Russia stuff. But like with most things in Ukraine, if you know the right people or pay the right amount of money, you can probably pass through without much scrutiny so this is why Poland doesn't have them listed as a "trusted" country.

oliver2002 Jan 30, 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 32009117)

This list is set by the EU:

One Stop Security

The EU's regulatory framework provides for the recognition of security standards applied in a non-EU country where those standards are equivalent to EU standards. Recognition permits One Stop Security whereby passengers, baggage and/or cargo arriving into the EU do not need to be subjected again to security controls when transferring at EU airports.

Such arrangements have been concluded for
  • the United States of America
  • Canada
  • Montenegro
  • Faroe Islands, in regard to Vagar airport
  • Greenland, in regard to Kangerlussuaq airport
  • Guernsey
  • Jersey
  • Isle of Man

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes...-policy/oss_en

Garimi Jan 30, 2020 5:56 am

at WAW you can go without other screening to Schengen Countries....

fassy Jan 30, 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Garimi (Post 32011654)
at WAW you can go without other screening to Schengen Countries....

Yes, but only if you are coming from one of the countries in the list above, else you have to clear transit security in Warsaw.

yurtripper Jan 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Interesting that they include Montenegro in that list.

poisson Jan 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Oh, another thing I wanted to add. A 40min connection at WAW was VERY tight, especially considering my flight from Ukraine landed on a remote runway and we had to be bused to the terminal. I made it to my WAW-ORD flight about 10min before the doors would close. If my Ukraine flight had been delayed even 10min or if security had taken longer, I would have missed the flight.

Overall, LOT was a pleasant flying experience but I did think it was unusual that the plane was Air Belgium branded. It's a shame Lufthansa ORD-MUC flight doesn't depart earlier because then I could use this option to get to Ukraine.

fassy Jan 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 32013617)
Overall, LOT was a pleasant flying experience but I did think it was unusual that the plane was Air Belgium branded.

It is a wet lease agreement. Air Belgium operates some routes/flights on behalf of LOT. In all aspects (like awarded miles, segments or benefits) it is a LOT flight.

I think they used Air Belgium to buffer shortages of the Dreamliner fleet undergoing extensive maintenance. I thought that should have been long done... so I suppose LO still doesn’t have enough wide-bodies to serve all their routes at the moment.

iLied Jan 31, 2020 4:13 am

That particular wetlease is confirmed until OCT20!

Will the UK be added to the list of clean countries?

fassy Jan 31, 2020 4:51 am

Originally Posted by iLied (Post 32015550)
Will the UK be added to the list of clean countries?

Pretty sure they will eventually. But this is the fun with the Brexit, there are millions of these kind of arrangements which officially need to be stopped right away. Since none are officially negotiated to continue...

iLied Jan 31, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 32015610)
Pretty sure they will eventually. But this is the fun with the Brexit, there are millions of these kind of arrangements which officially need to be stopped right away. Since none are officially negotiated to continue...

Yay but I suspect that this year it’s going to be fine!