Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Covid19: LH Group suspends flights to China [Discussion of China waiver]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: LH Group suspends flights to China [Discussion of China waiver]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I know the waiver doesn't permit it, but any possibility LH might permit routing changes? I wouldn't mind changing an upcoming PVG to NRT/HND, in that case...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by paffendorf
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not over-reacting, since I've not taken final decision. But I think that would be stupid to underestimate the matter.
Said that, thanks for the invitation to the FCT.

Will see during this week what happens.
As far as I know HKG wasn’t included first, but was added later.

Hard to discuss risks. People play lottery and think about how to spend ‘their’ millions before wining them and they smoke without thinking about dying early with the last years filled with serious health problems.

In Germany we had 25,000 deaths by influenza during one season two years ago - and the number of people coming to Germany was still going up.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:53 pm

I was visiting Toronto during the SARS outbreak. We were college kids completely oblivious to news much less how that would impact us. We went to a hibachi place on a Friday night and thought how great there was only one other couple in the whole place. We got back to the car to find a pink flyer on the windshield with SARS in bold letters. Might me an over reaction to think about changing travel plans is my point.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
What insurance would you recommend in this case? As I understand it, most insurance will refuse to cover a situation that was a known hazard at the time of purchase.

This is my annual insurance (cost £41.50), it has travel disruption which was added after the Iceland volcano that caused air traffic disruption for a week in 2010. You would need to check if purchasing insurance would cover this situation.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by chris63
Absolutely, it must be travel insurance that provides adequate cover for the areas one goes to & all eventually
which unfortunately already rules out the insurance included in the German LH CC
Problem is that all travel insurances that I have looked at allow cancellations only for a number of listed situations - and I have not found any that would cover outbreaks or the related travel restrictions in a destination area.

Last edited by Hardy; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:45 am Reason: language
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The OP said he is "concerned" that the trip may be "impossible", not that he wants to cancel now.
to be precise: I am not too worried about the disease itself (yet) but aware of the growing travel restrictions in China. Not sure if I can travel by train from HKG to PEK in March, or if I should even add any further reservations for hotels / flights / trains to my existing pair of LH tickets at this point. If things don´t improve drastically very soon (which is highly unlikely, given the dynamics of any virus spreading) I must consider cancelling / postponing my trip.

Last edited by Hardy; Jan 27, 2020 at 1:37 am Reason: language
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:58 am

Looks like they have amended the waiver to exclude Hong Kong and Macau.

https://www.lufthansa.com/content/lh...el-information
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Looks like they have amended the waiver to exclude Hong Kong and Macau.

https://www.lufthansa.com/content/lh...el-information
And I can confirm this, after having contacted the customer service.
As usual: Lufthansa.... there's no better way to cry
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:43 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to see when the updated webpage actually went live...?

I ask cos on the Swiss page it says 07.30CET which is 06.30 U.K. time.

I phoned and cancelled my HK flight (for full refund) at 07.30 U.K. time and it all went through (apparently). I know for certain the page hadn’t been updated to exclude HongKing and Macau at that time so just curious to see if it’s possible to check.

I wonder if it was never Lufthansa’s intention to include Hong Kong and Macau by the original wording wasn’t clear and when people started cancelling/rebooking they amended it.

any help regards the page would be great.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Just tried rerouting a trip to avoid connecting in HKG, LH refused
lx343 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: LX M&M
Originally Posted by ELAL
Just tried rerouting a trip to avoid connecting in HKG, LH refused
may I ask when this is due to?
I transit through PEK and PVG and looking for alternatives if provided by UA/LH.

Last edited by lx343; Jan 28, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by lx343
may I ask when this is due to?
I transit through PEK and PVG and looking for alternatives if provided by UA/LH.
Due tomorrow
I understood that if transiting via PEK or PVG they would re-route you.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
BA just stopped all flights to mainland China, wonder when LH group will do the same
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: One World Emerald
HKG rerouting

Good morning all,

I have a flight on 23.02 from HKG to LHR via FRA and was wondering if anyone had any luck of rerouting their flights from HKG (I know LH/LX recently updated their website with the waiver to exclude HKG and Macau, but just checking if they actually show some flexibility on a case by case)?

My original booking is LHR to BKK via ZRH this Saturday and I will spend most of my holiday in Thailand. Have another flight from HKT to HKG on 21.02 as I was planning on spending a couple of nights in HKG prior to my long haul flight. I am happy to abandon my flight from Thailand to Hong Kong and the 2 night hotel, but do you think I have any chance in convincing LH to change my flight to depart from either BKK or SIN instead (I am happy to get there myself)? Or maybe just wait and see if they officially include HKG in the waiver...

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mikele
Good morning all,

I have a flight on 23.02 from HKG to LHR via FRA and was wondering if anyone had any luck of rerouting their flights from HKG (I know LH/LX recently updated their website with the waiver to exclude HKG and Macau, but just checking if they actually show some flexibility on a case by case)?

My original booking is LHR to BKK via ZRH this Saturday and I will spend most of my holiday in Thailand. Have another flight from HKT to HKG on 21.02 as I was planning on spending a couple of nights in HKG prior to my long haul flight. I am happy to abandon my flight from Thailand to Hong Kong and the 2 night hotel, but do you think I have any chance in convincing LH to change my flight to depart from either BKK or SIN instead (I am happy to get there myself)? Or maybe just wait and see if they officially include HKG in the waiver...

Thank you in advance.
Somewhat similar situation. LH shows no flexibility whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.