FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   FRA Arrivals lounge vs Departure lounges when connecting (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2005293-fra-arrivals-lounge-vs-departure-lounges-when-connecting.html)

n8-the-gr8 Jan 20, 2020 6:18 am

FRA Arrivals lounge vs Departure lounges when connecting

I知 flying through Frankfurt this week with a rather long connection (over 4 hours) and given that I知 United Global Services have access to the arrivals lounge in addition to the departure lounges.

Is there any benefit to clearing customs and leaving the airside area to use the arrivals lounge for a shower etc and then reclearing security vs just using a Senator lounge during the connection?

Have never used the arrivals lounge so not sure if it痴 significantly differentiated in any way.

chris63 Jan 20, 2020 6:34 am

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 (Post 31972422)
I知 flying through Frankfurt this week with a rather long connection (over 4 hours) and given that I知 United Global Services have access to the arrivals lounge in addition to the departure lounges.

Is there any benefit to clearing customs and leaving the airside area to use the arrivals lounge for a shower etc and then reclearing security vs just using a Senator lounge during the connection?

Have never used the arrivals lounge so not sure if it痴 significantly differentiated in any way.

Use the SEN lounge FRA is a nightmare, why put yourself though more agony, you should have seen the lines just to enter the lines for security today at B departures...... don稚 go there

worldclubber Jan 20, 2020 6:41 am

The arrivals lounge has more showers, so the wait may be shorter, but you will definitely also get a shower at the SEN lounge during a 4 hour layover. I would never use the arrivals lounge in your situation.

cas_de Jan 20, 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 (Post 31972422)

Pro Welcome lounge: lots of showers, breakfast option, likely less crowded.
Cons Welcome lounge: need to re-clear security (which can be a pain, depending on the terminal), need to clear passport control twice if you are travelling on a non-schengen to non-schengen itiniary, no daylight

Pro SEN lounge: stay inside the sterile area
Con SEN lounge: fewer showers (could mean wait time to take a shower), lounge is likely to be more crowded than the Welcome lounge

My $.02: ff you have enough time, don't mind the stroll and having to re-clear security I would go to the Welcome lounge.

n8-the-gr8 Jan 20, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks all for the input. Think I値l pass this time and reserve it for a time when I知 terminating in Frankfurt unless I really need to stretch my legs.

worldclubber Jan 20, 2020 10:40 am

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 (Post 31973304)
Thanks all for the input. Think I値l pass this time and reserve it for a time when I知 terminating in Frankfurt unless I really need to stretch my legs.

Makes a lot of sense to me. At the SEN lounge, you can even wait for the shower with a bit of a view.

TroyJohns Jan 22, 2020 7:09 pm

The smoking lounge is certainly nicer at the Welcome Lounge, which is why I venture for it during a long layover.

fassy Jan 23, 2020 2:42 pm

My lounge of choice in FRA is the Panorama Lounge near A26 or if I need something warm to eat the business lounge directly one level above.

on longer layovers, first having something to eat upstairs, then relax in Panorama lounge.

in general both of them are usually not that busy and much more quite than the other ones.

probably since few people know about them and it is a long walk, often passing by the other lounge options.

Both have showers btw.

NYC1 Jan 23, 2020 5:00 pm

If anyone wants to “stretch their legs”, the piers at FRA are long enough to keep someone entertained for a while. Re-clearing security can be somewhere between unpleasant to a complete nightmare. If you’re not an EU citizen and need to go through passport control (possible twice!), then that’s another unpleasant and timely exercise to boot. I’d never do it. Only reason to walk out is to go to the FCT ;).

Repooc17 Jan 23, 2020 5:10 pm

What's the itinerary? If non-Schengen to non-Schengen, then you would have plethora of lounge options to choose from without entering Germany and getting an unnecessary stamping.

I got a shower in this week on the short connection time of SQ26 - SIN-FRA-JFK.