Search

LH or LX 1st class? and tight connection in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
LH or LX 1st class? and tight connection in FRA

Hi,

I'm looking at booking a first class flight to China for next month but I've never flown LH/LX in premium classes before (I'm mainly a One World flyer, with Star Alliance as a back-up). I am looking at a range of options, and I'd love if anybody more expert than me could suggest me the course of action.

1) I can either choose LX (with a very long connection - overnight, I have no hurry to reach my destination), or LH with a shorter connection. I hear from different sources that LX's lounge is a must-do, even better than LH 1st class terminal while the on-board products are similar. Would you agree with such statement?

2) I'm possibly looking at flying LX out and LH back to Europe, just to mix both. The flight back on LH would have a 2h20 connection only in FRA. My question is: a) enough for first class terminal? b) if enough, would I be allowed in if I flew 1st class incoming but connecting to business?

Overall, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
You could try the search function they have been compared endlessly

If you overnight in ZRH no F lounge On arrival , only before the actual F flight..

2.20 connection is enough time to go to FCT & yes, that’s permitted for transfers

All LX & LH F lounges are fabulous, only subtle differences between them but again, it’s been discussed so many times
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
You could try the search function they have been compared endlessly

If you overnight in ZRH no F lounge On arrival , only before the actual F flight..

2.20 connection is enough time to go to FCT & yes, that’s permitted for transfers

All LX & LH F lounges are fabulous, only subtle differences between them but again, it’s been discussed so many times
Thank you. I'll search straight away then

Yes, I knew about the overnight in ZRH. That's why I chose the overnight on the way out, as I'd have the F flight the day after.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Danusa86
Hi,

I'm looking at booking a first class flight to China for next month but I've never flown LH/LX in premium classes before (I'm mainly a One World flyer, with Star Alliance as a back-up). I am looking at a range of options, and I'd love if anybody more expert than me could suggest me the course of action.
You may like to check under Flying First Class in Links to useful threads.

For some reason I prefer the FRA FCT on the outbound and the ZRH FCL on the inbound especially if I can use the hotel room after an overnight flight on LX.

Also when flying LH F my preference of aircraft type is A380 > B748 > A346.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 19, 2020 at 1:09 am
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:29 am

If you will like LX FCL or LH FCT/FCL more is a question of personal taste. Same for their board product. Personally I like LH F a bit more, when it’s in B748 or A388, only because of the planes. Another point is, that FRA usually offers more connecting flights than ZRH.

2:20h is usually enough time to go out to the FCT. It helps, if you know the way to the FCT before as there is no services included, who will bring you to the FCT. You have to walk and find by yourself.

Important: When arriving in F and connecting to C you have no access to the FCT (you have access to the FCL). Unless you are HON, of course. 2:20h can be close to walk to FCT and then to walk back again.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
My personal ranking:

1) A380F/77WF
2) LX 340 F, 748 F
3) A346 F
4) LX A333 F

lounges:
FCL E
FCL B
FCT
FCL A (ZRH)

Can’t rate the FCL A in FRA as I’ve actually never been.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
Important: When arriving in F and connecting to C you have no access to the FCT (you have access to the FCL). Unless you are HON, of course. 2:20h can be close to walk to FCT and then to walk back again.
Has anything changed recently? Although according to the LH lounge access rules the FCT is not for arriving F passengers, I thought anyone arriving in LH F with a same day connecting flight on LH, LX, OS in any class could access the FCT as long as the flights are on a single ticket.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Has anything changed recently? Although according to the LH lounge access rules the FCT is not for arriving F passengers, I thought anyone arriving in LH F with a same day connecting flight on LH, LX, OS in any class could access the FCT as long as the flights are on a single ticket.
Yes, that’s correct & nothing has changed.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:07 am

Is the departing flight in F on the same day?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thbe
Is the departing flight in F on the same day?
OP, is proposing inbound on LH in F connecting to J & want’s to use the FCT for the connection, and that’s fine.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:38 am

OP, is proposing inbound on LH in F connecting to J & want’s to use the FCT for the connection, and that’s fine.
I see. Didn't know that.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by sophialite
My personal ranking:
Can’t rate the FCL A in FRA as I’ve actually never been.
It’s very similar to the FCL in B, just smaller and with striped windows somewhat obstructing the view.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!

I have booked my flight as follows:

KBP-ZRH J
ZRH-PEK F A330
PEK-FRA F B747-8
FRA-KBP J

I tried to do the other way round (LH first, LX on the way back), but the price was €3000 more.

Looking forward to trying LX F Lounge and LH F Terminal.

I've never flown Star Alliance F so will be very interesting. My only experience in F so far has been with BA and CX. Really interested in comparing with CX and see how LH/LX fare!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danusa86
Thanks everybody!

I have booked my flight as follows:

KBP-ZRH J
ZRH-PEK F A330
PEK-FRA F B747-8
FRA-KBP J

I tried to do the other way round (LH first, LX on the way back), but the price was €3000 more.

Looking forward to trying LX F Lounge and LH F Terminal.

I've never flown Star Alliance F so will be very interesting. My only experience in F so far has been with BA and CX. Really interested in comparing with CX and see how LH/LX fare!
Good, well they are way better than BA & up there with CX

Food ex ZRH is the best IMO, so you did it the right way round
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Good, well they are way better than BA & up there with CX

Food ex ZRH is the best IMO, so you did it the right way round
Many thanks. Will give you guys my impressions
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.